AVS Forum banner

3941 - 3960 of 7094 Posts

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,259 Posts
We need lights so we can see all the footprints on the Linacoustic. I remember everyone was gaga over Ruben's SMX screen shots where he shows his screen and then a shot of the speakers/acoustic foam with the lighting effects. What wasn't obvious at first was that SOME of the shots of the speakers were taken without fabric in the screen frame. Depending on the fabric you may or may not get an interesting effect. We tried to back light the speakers at White Oaks but Rich's new 4K Falcon fabric is such a tight weave that trying to take pictures with the speakers lit looked like a dense fog.

Here is Rubens SMX shot with the fabric in place and looking at the stars you can see what kind of exposure time it took

Here is a shot that everyone loved, NO FABRIC:

·
Registered
619 Posts
It will be quite sad. I'm actually thinking about putting some lights behind the screen to light them up. I know Nyal and @dlbeck have nice solutions that I may emulate. I think Rich from falcon screens does too. Will need to turn those lights on once in a while, just to remember...
i went w/ wac lighting's track system. like this:

http://www.ylighting.com/model801.html

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,943
I think Art S who has all Seaton speakers has it so you can illuminate the speakers so you can see them through the screen. It looks cool.
Scroll down a bit and you can get the idea
http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/art-sonneborns-sun-cinema-updated-5952583
Thanks Mike. I'm a huge fan of Art's theater...it's epic. I wonder what changes he's made as the landscape has changed.

We need lights so we can see all the footprints on the Linacoustic. I remember everyone was gaga over Ruben's SMX screen shots where he shows his screen and then a shot of the speakers/acoustic foam with the lighting effects. What wasn't obvious at first was that SOME of the shots of the speakers were taken without fabric in the screen frame. Depending on the fabric you may or may not get an interesting effect. We tried to back light the speakers at White Oaks but Rich's new 4K Falcon fabric is such a tight weave that trying to take pictures with the speakers lit looked like a dense fog.

Here is Rubens SMX shot with the fabric in place and looking at the stars you can see what kind of exposure time it took

Here is a shot that everyone loved, NO FABRIC:

I love the look!!! Great for viewing the dusty footprints in Ultra High Definition Premium!!! lol. I'm wiping that down with a wet rag tonight.

i went w/ wac lighting's track system. like this:

http://www.ylighting.com/model801.html
Hey, that's pretty cool. Do you hear the track or lights rattle at all during heavy bass scenes?

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,945
So I'm sitting with the wife in the bedroom watching Shark Tank, and I tell the wife how I'm going to mount the flat panel on the wall and will put 5 in-ceiling speakers in the master bedroom's sitting area in a theater configuration.

And then, it happened...

"NO! NO! LEAVE THE BEDROOM ALONE! YOU ARE NOT BRINGING THAT IN HERE!!!! THE SPEAKERS IN THIS TV ARE JUST FINE!!!"

I sense her patience for all things "theater construction" is wearing thin...

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,946

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey, that's pretty cool. Do you hear the track or lights rattle at all during heavy bass scenes?
I use the same lights :)
No rattling.
no rattling for me either

Fellas, how did you guys install these? Bolted the tracks into ground? Into wood constructs supporting screen? I really like the look.
yea i have the track lighting on my screen framing. in the pic below, i ran power to the front of the baffle wall, but behind the frame wall. then in the downward arrows i notched gaps to hold the track in the two vertical 2x4s, then screwed the track to the horizontal 2x4.

·
Premium Member
10,945 Posts
So I'm sitting with the wife in the bedroom watching Shark Tank, and I tell the wife how I'm going to mount the flat panel on the wall and will put 5 in-ceiling speakers in the master bedroom's sitting area in a theater configuration.

And then, it happened...

"NO! NO! LEAVE THE BEDROOM ALONE! YOU ARE NOT BRINGING THAT IN HERE!!!! THE SPEAKERS IN THIS TV ARE JUST FINE!!!"

She might find these acceptable. Invisible TV speakers. I have used a version of these for 9 or 10 years: http://artisonusa.com/html/lcr.html

The speaker covers are custom made to be the same exact height as the TV is so it looks like it is part of the TV. The way they do the center channel is to put one center channel in each of the two side speakers so you get the appropriate signal if you are in the middle but it works well if you are off center.

Here is a [very poor] photo of our family room TV.

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts

And then, it happened...

Oh man, I can relate to that. I am getting the same sense from my wife. I think they say they understand it will take a long time to finish, but they really don't get it. And..... anyway we are never really done :D just don't let them figure out that part.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,950
no rattling for me either

yea i have the track lighting on my screen framing. in the pic below, i ran power to the front of the baffle wall, but behind the frame wall. then in the downward arrows i notched gaps to hold the track in the two vertical 2x4s, then screwed the track to the horizontal 2x4.

Thanks! Smart install. I appreciate the detailed reply!

She might find these acceptable. Invisible TV speakers. I have used a version of these for 9 or 10 years: http://artisonusa.com/html/lcr.html

The speaker covers are custom made to be the same exact height as the TV is so it looks like it is part of the TV. The way they do the center channel is to put one center channel in each of the two side speakers so you get the appropriate signal if you are in the middle but it works well if you are off center.

Here is a [very poor] photo of our family room TV.
Oh...pretty neat! Is the audio quality upgrade worth the price? I like the idea, and the look. I was always a huge fan of the speakers on the sides of TV's (Kuro, Panasnic PZ series, etc.)...as the industry moved to ultra-thin bezels all around, I felt sorry for this new generation who could not enjoy the look of speakers at the sides of a TV, looking extra wide and extra cool. I'll broach this product with the Ms. Gracias!

Oh man, I can relate to that. I am getting the same sense from my wife. I think they say they understand it will take a long time to finish, but they really don't get it. And..... anyway we are never really done :D just don't let them figure out that part.
Yeah...very true. Once the duration crosses the "long" threshold, and the realization sets in, something happens in the mind that decreases tolerance a small measure each day. To be fair, my bride still helps with the theater when she can...but I feel her patience wearing thin just based on any theater-based conversation concludes with "How long until we can use it?" This may be a situation where I SHOULD hang the projector before the theater is finished. It's taking forever anyway...lol. Limitations in my design foresight and.or wallet are generally to blame, but at least I'm impervious to projector-induced-progress-delay syndrome (PIPDS).

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Did a bit of screen frame assembly today:

Laid Her out!

Put Her Up!

Leaving the plastic on, where possible, to prevent some angry velvet later on.

More details coming in Episode 11 of the build series

This is what i call a SCREEN..
GO BIG OR NO THEATER:)

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,953

·
Registered
335 Posts
I was in a similar situation Matt. My WAF was dropping low. Put the projector in and let it go. I still did work when I could but being able to use it increased the WAF exponentially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,955
I was in a similar situation Matt. My WAF was dropping low. Put the projector in and let it go. I still did work when I could but being able to use it increased the WAF exponentially.

I think I'm going to do just that. now, with UHD Blu Rays & Players being released this year, the question of JVC RS500 vs. Sony VPL-VW665 arises once more. I wish there were a local showroom where I could see them side by side. I've been going through the respective threads over in AVS' projection forum...it's just a tough choice. My screen is really large (the room is designed as a UHD theater, hence the screen size/seating distance), but could I get away with a JVC as 144" wide, 16:9? I'd have to see it in person with my demo material on flash drive...or, even better, with UHD demo material.

I wonder if superleo or jindrak have a UHD disc on the horizon...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Why not get something to get you by? A projected image on a sheet is better then nothing. Even if it's not full size. This will also buy you time to find your perfect projector and boost WAF.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,958
Why not get something to get you by? A projected image on a sheet is better then nothing. Even if it's not full size. This will also buy you time to find your perfect projector and boost WAF.

Well, I went over my budget a year and a half ago, and the project is winding down slowly. The punch list includes ceiling clouds, carpet (owned), lighting (owned), and wall panels (wood is sitting on riser, awaiting assembly. As I transition to equipment acquisition, I can't waste a dime on any interim products (I thought I could just two weeks ago, but new product decisions have changed this). But the good news is...I think I found what I need in a projector...the JVC RS500 seems to be enough to 1) fill my screen with a watchable image, and 2) not break further my already broken budget... until I can snag a used Sony VPL-VW5000 two years from now with a gazillion lumens

thanks! hey no problem. my one screw up was no taking into account the size of the barn doors and the added length of the base. add the layer of platfoam and the pyramid foam, my 13" between the screen frame and baffle wall is tight

I realized, I don't think I have that kind of clearance. For the L & R I do, since the baffle walls angles for those channels, but the center is about 4 inches from the screen material. Maybe even less.

Based on the research you did before you selected that light, do you think an LED spot light would accomplish the same goal?

·
Registered
619 Posts
thanks! hey no problem. my one screw up was no taking into account the size of the barn doors and the added length of the base. add the layer of platfoam and the pyramid foam, my 13" between the screen frame and baffle wall is tight
I realized, I don't think I have that kind of clearance. For the L & R I do, since the baffle walls angles for those channels, but the center is about 4 inches from the screen material. Maybe even less.

Based on the research you did before you selected that light, do you think an LED spot light would accomplish the same goal?
I didn't look at many LED options.
I was crunched for time and went with what i knew others used and what Nyal recommended. Plus it's hard to find blue LEDs with enough light output and right beam pattern.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,960
I didn't look at many LED options.
I was crunched for time and went with what i knew others used and what Nyal recommended. Plus it's hard to find blue LEDs with enough light output and right beam pattern.

I definitely hear you. I think I'll order a sample, and place on the floor angled upward maybe 80-85 degrees to see what the effect is. There's definitely clearance at the floor level. I don't want to reinvent the wheel when you and others have found this solution successful. It seems those barn doors are the key to getting the light focused where it's needed.

3941 - 3960 of 7094 Posts