AVS Forum banner

7081 - 7100 of 7121 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Did a proper tape around to compare the size of the proposed 13ft scope image to the current masked 12ft scope image. In sitting in various rows, we concluded that the difference would net us nearly the immersion of 16x9 were getting now, without any lost light output per zoom method. The areas within the green tape would all be white screen. The green tape represents the screen border.

As of today, this is DEFINITELY happening!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Beast I'm curious what changed your mind going this route I thought you were comfortable with NLS on the Lumagen

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,082
Gotta admit, I'm seriously disappointed.

I thought for sure you'd have upgraded to IMAX by now...
:D
LOL, if IMAX Enhances became ubiquitous in its implementation (like I expected it to), then I'd have just underpinned the room, pushed both rows of seating back by 5 feet, and gone FULL IMAX!!! Buuuuut....it seems to have deflated....probably the fault of the studios.

Beast I'm curious what changed your mind going this route I thought you were comfortable with NLS on the Lumagen
A very interesting and fair question. I love NLS and use it all the time once my scope masking is on, and I've been expanding the 2.35 images to fill the 16x9 screen. But here's the thing: recently (last year or so) while watching movies, my wife has started to notice when something's clearly cut off from view due to the expansion. I'm the type of guy who's so immersed in the experience, I don't notice such things....but the more she started to ask "let's make it smaller and get the masking" the more I started just leaving the masking on.

About a month ago, we were chatting shortly after recording the awesome Fun Waste of Time podcast with @Theaterfreak360 and we were dicussing how to get the immersion of 16x9 but without the cut off images that come with an expanded scope image filling the 16x9 screen. Solution: a biiiiig scope screen and brighter, native 4k projector.

So this is where we are now. I'm actually in the theater right now taking measurements....we could actually go bigger if I go with a DCR lens. I'll be using NLS for 16x9 content on the scope screen just as I always have--in my opinion, there's nooo better solution for scope screens!

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,083 (Edited)
What's dark, thick, and goes 12 inches deep?

That's right.....my D....S18-12 subs from Seaton Sound. Shipping out today!

The DS18-12s are a 12-inch deep custom-install version of the F18 subwoofer. These will go behind my rear wall fabric panels, in two stacks of two subs (four quadrants of bass) rendering all sound sources 100% invisible within the room.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,085
Curious how Mark gets similar output out of an enclosure that looks to be about half the size of the regular F18?
Height and width are significantly increased to accommodate the 6" shallower depth. They're 7 or 8 inches wider and 3 or 4 inches taller.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,089
I was just thinking "Matt's room definitely needs more bass". :D

Congrats!
lolol, I know! Glad I'm no longer slackinnnnng!!!! Thanks, man! I also took the opportunity to clean up the cabling behind the seats and put the cables where they belong: behind the rear fabric panels as originally intended! lol.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I think he still has the same number of 18's (eight) but is now able to hide all of them.
Hmmm, I must have misremembered. I thought he started w/4, but had plans for 8? I thought the two that were initially behind the rear row were stacked up behind the screen, and this set repleced those - doubling the quantity in the room?

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,093
Hmmm, I must have misremembered. I thought he started w/4, but had plans for 8? I thought the two that were initially behind the rear row were stacked up behind the screen, and this set repleced those - doubling the quantity in the room?
Naw, I had eight originally (all eight were being driven at the big multi-day G2G in late 2018)...four behind the screen, and four behind the rear row. I sold the four behind the rear row about a year ago and thanks to COVID, my replacement order (these thinner, but taller/wider subs) got delayed significantly....but finally came in. Net result is identical horsepower as before, but due to the higher double stack (7 inches higher than previous corner-loaded stacks) and positioning at the midpoint of the rear wall, I'm finding the impact is more visceral.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,098
Amazingly flat response from the rear subs. Don't you correct the combined responses of your front + rear subs? Or do you correct them individually?
Yes sir! So I work on both individually first, and then I work on the combined response, delays, etc.. It was like starting over, because removing a piece of the center rear wall bass treatments to put the new subs in changed the front sub response between 70 and 90hz a bit. Still tweaking that and hope to finish tomorrow!!!

7081 - 7100 of 7121 Posts