Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Minneapolis Star Tribune, 11/12/02:

Speaking of George and Ringo, McCartney recently heard the new "5.1 surround-sound" pressings of old Beatles recordings (including alternative takes) on which technology has "cleaned up" the sound. He raved about the project.

"Winston Churchill's papers get older and browner and more crinkly, and the Beatles stuff gets shinier and clearer and newer," he said. "They can take the hiss off. We didn't put hiss on it. When John [Lennon] sang it, there was no hiss on it. It's like he's right there. Finally, a good use for modern technology."

This could be the Anthology which is being prepared for DVD release next year or maybe the long awaited remastering of the Beatles catalog. In any case, another reason to be thankful on Thanksgiving. Cheers!

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Do you have a description of what will be on it or is this just a re-release of a movie already out, A Hard Days Night, Magical Mystery Tour. I don't want to see Bramble, popping up on the stage nonsense.:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was the only reference to 5.1 remastering in an otherwise standard pre-concert interview. The reference could apply to the Anthology which was remastered in 5.1 last year (I think they finished the day George died); however, the reference to "pressing of old recordings" could mean their audio back catalog. Presumably Paul would have heard the 5.1 Anthology remasters before now. I'm hoping the reference concerns the back catalog.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
As much as I love 5.1 mixes, I have to ask:

How do you get 5.1 channels from 3 and 4 channel masters? 16 and 24 channel master tapes like Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors", that is pretty easy. But "Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" only has 4 original tracks. Everything else was a mix-down. bouncing tracks.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Williams
As much as I love 5.1 mixes, I have to ask:

How do you get 5.1 channels from 3 and 4 channel masters? 16 and 24 channel master tapes like Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors", that is pretty easy. But "Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" only has 4 original tracks. Everything else was a mix-down. bouncing tracks.
Presumably the same way they did it for the Yellow Submarine remixes. They actually went back and took the original tapes from before the bounces, flew them into ProTools and synced them up with all the other tracks. EMI always bounced from one machine to another, so all those original stems still exist. Remember, master tapes for the songs Yellow Submarine, Eleanor Rigby and Nowhere Man all predated the Sgt. Pepper sessions and they came out great. Lucy in the Sky was in the movie- it's already done!

Now a word of reticence- possibly hypocrisy: I'm not sure I *like* hearing The Beatles that way and I'm a big fan of surround remixes. I grew up so heavily into the sound of those records that it conflicts with the way my neurons fire to hear them so clean and separated on certain songs. Am I turning into that "hiss is good" guy from the other thread? *lol*

Fred

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in favor of anything that gets the back catalog remastered. What is currently available is from the earliest generation of CD mastering. Well done then, but far surpassed by new technology. Heck, the Anthology outtakes sound substantially better than the "real" CD's. I appreciate that Apple is not milking its back catalog with constant updates. But really, the time has come for an update. Give me 5.1. Give me those wild stereo mixes with all the vocals in one channel. Give me the original mono. Just give it to me in DVD-Audio or SACD with a DTS layer or red book CD layer (as appropriate). While you're at it, I'll take an updated Let It Be (promised for next year!). Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.