AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be the only member here that is ultra stoked for this game & getting it on 9/9/09 (and maybe calling in sick to work!).

Just a fan of RB & an even bigger fan of John, Paul, George & Ringo. GH5 goodies & free Van Halen are taking a back seat (for me) to this.

So, any new/info/reviews/complaints......let's collect 'em here.

For Wii rockers, one thing to mention.....while not officially announced yet (AFAIK), over @ the Rock Band website forums, HMX dev/forum moderator "HMXHenry" stated that the Wii version WILL support SDHC cards for DLC. No word if the in game Music Store will allow track pack/album buys a la GH5 or if it's single DLs only again.

Looks like DLC album releases for all systems will be monthly at first. Abbey Road available in Oct 20, Sgt Peppers in Nov. & Rubber Soul in Dec. so far.

360 users will have access to the track "All You Need is Love" on 9/9/09 (with your $2 going to charity), with PS3/Wii getting it likely early 2010.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
You're so confusing. Everything you like is hard rock/metal and you're a huge beatles fan which is the anti-metal? And then inexplicably, you dislike gnr.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy /forum/post/17033196

Anybody know what the differance is going to be for the Wii version vs. the 360 or PS3 version? As a Wii60 home, I'm wondering what the differance is.

AFAIK, the major differences are:

As a 360 user, you have 1st dibs on "All You Need is Love" as DLC on launch day. PS3/Wii get it at a later date. So far, no other 360 DLC "special favors" planned - all consoles will have Fab Four DLC parity.

Wii edition will apparently allow use of SDHC cards according to a HMX dev on their website forum - so Wii users have up to 32GB of storage (GH5 uses this too - greatly expanding Wii's rhythm game DLC space & function) as opposed to the regular 2GB SD card limit - or 4GB if you are crafty.

Wii DLC - as w/RB2 - will be thru the in game Store only. No word if GH5's recent news of album/track pack purchases happening on Wii will get implemented here. The difference here is that on Wii, full albums may cost more due to be being single DLs only.

Other than these & 480p VS 1080p visuals - they should be essentially equal. Better be, as this is about the 1st (well, 2nd - GH5 hits on 9/1 for the same price) Wii multiplatform release to sell for the same MSRP of $59.99 that 360/PS3 editions do. No ore $10 discounts for Wii versions, I guess? IF the increase means they crammed more features into it - I'm cool with that.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 /forum/post/17032561

You're so confusing. Everything you like is hard rock/metal and you're a huge beatles fan which is the anti-metal? And then inexplicably, you dislike gnr.

One of my most played mini set lists on RB2 is the Duran Duran Challenge (1 disc track, 2 DLC). I like various genres of music, Basher - just not the pseudo-GnR of Democracy you love so much.

Again, different strokes brother....

·
Registered
2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy /forum/post/17033196

Anybody know what the differance is going to be for the Wii version vs. the 360 or PS3 version? As a Wii60 home, I'm wondering what the differance is.

I can't see why anyone with the choice would ever buy an RB game for Wii over 360. Given the same gameplay at the same price, you may as well go for the version with better visuals, better online structure and better storage structure. 360 also gets new DLC first. Plus I believe 360 has the most RB players, so there's more people to play online.

People with only the Wii don't seem to be missing out on anything really significant, but if you have the choice, I don't see why you wouldn't go for the extra bells and whistles. Unless of course you already have a bunch of Wii instruments and no 360 instruments, or find a fire sale on the Wii version.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
jwebb it's not pseudo-, it's probabl;y more gnr than original gnr.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo /forum/post/17033934

I can't see why anyone with the choice would ever buy an RB game for Wii over 360. Given the same gameplay at the same price, you may as well go for the version with better visuals, better online structure and better storage structure. 360 also gets new DLC first. Plus I believe 360 has the most RB players, so there's more people to play online.

People with only the Wii don't seem to be missing out on anything really significant, but if you have the choice, I don't see why you wouldn't go for the extra bells and whistles. Unless of course you already have a bunch of Wii instruments and no 360 instruments, or find a fire sale on the Wii version.

As a Wii-only guy, I have no choice. But concur - go w/ the 360 version unless all your RB $$ is tied up in Wii controllers & DLC. Or in Mongo's case, the PS3.

At least it seems that slowly but surely, the rhythm games are getting closer to having all the features the big boy machines have other than hi-def looks. If the history of GH/RB advancements repeats, the Wii crowd should see a very full-featured RB3 sometime in 2010 or so. Since the price seems to have achieved parity now, how about making the features equal, too? GH seems to have done so.....I think HMX will do the same w/ the future RB releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 /forum/post/0

jwebb it's not pseudo-, it's probabl;y more gnr than original gnr.

I initially figured "why use another post space to reply to yet another Basher bon mot"....then figured why even bother.....

·
Registered
493 Posts
I don't have any instruments or rhythm games at all. So now I'm stuck b/c GH5 with backwards compat w/ WT and Smash Hits sounds like a good deal, but RB2 has some good stuff and the Beatles. GH5 guitar seems to be modified somewhat.

I just don't know anymore.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy /forum/post/17038746

I don't have any instruments or rhythm games at all. So now I'm stuck b/c GH5 with backwards compat w/ WT and Smash Hits sounds like a good deal, but RB2 has some good stuff and the Beatles. GH5 guitar seems to be modified somewhat.

I just don't know anymore.

If doing this on Wii, I suggest getting a GH band kit. WHile I prefer RB gear, GH gear on Wii will work w/ RB2 & The Beatles - and almost certainly every RB game to come for the rest of this console generation. Only RB1 Wii will require actual RB gear.

AFAIK, on the 360 both game's controllers will work with the other. But don't hold me to that.

OTOH, Wii GH gear requires a Wiimote for each member - a full band will need 4 Wiimotes. With RB gear, only Wiimote needed is for the singer. And again, not an issue on 360.

At the end of the day, though - it seems RB gear works best w/ RB games & GH stuff is best for those games.

I go back & forth lately - being that I sold all GH stuff (only ever had 2 GH guitars, GHIII & GHWT discs) & am now RB exclusive with both games & a lot of DLC. Now, with GH5's groovy new features on Wii & the free Van Halen offer, I am tempted to grab a now cheap WT set and rock that stuff.

But then I see all the new stuff coming to the RB Store, plus The Beatles being the one music game I know I am certainly getting on release day, and the likelihood that HMX will do a RB3 next year for Wii that will most likely do everything GH5 does, but better (history tends to repeat, even in the video game market)....I'm torn!!

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I can't stand the fact that GH gear needs a wii-mote while RB gear does not. That was the final deciding factor in which format I chose. I've got to say it is VERY nice when you go to play a game and don't have to plug in a wii-mote. I hate the thought of needing extras, too.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
May not need a wiimote, but then you can't use it on all guitar games which is a much bigger deal.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Is Hey Jude in this game? Game Informer put up the tracklist in their article this month but said there was a "surprise."

And Abbey Road on DLC... I hope they let you play side 2 all in one go. I'm not a big fan of side 2 but that would be pretty cool.

Quote:

Everyone likes The Beatles. Or at least anyone who likes rock and roll can at least enjoy a few of their tunes. Can't say the same about GNR.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/17093810

Is Hey Jude in this game? Game Informer put up the tracklist in their article this month but said there was a "surprise."

It may be the mystery disc track #45....or not. Either way, it will be in the game eventually.

Quote:

And Abbey Road on DLC... I hope they let you play side 2 all in one go. I'm not a big fan of side 2 but that would be pretty cool.

The talk on the RB website forums is that it will be an option.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 /forum/post/0

Everyone likes The Beatles. Or at least anyone who likes rock and roll can at least enjoy a few of their tunes. Can't say the same about GNR.

Nail hit squarely on head, number1laing....

·
Registered
4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 /forum/post/17094000

It may be the mystery disc track #45....or not. Either way, it will be in the game eventually.

The talk on the RB website forums is that it will be an option.

Nail hit squarely on head, number1laing....

Nah anyone with common sense likes the best group of all time (gnr).

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Still don't see how anyone can have much fun with this game. There's no doubt the songs are rgeat songs in real life, but playing a whole game of songs without difficult guitar parts will be boring.

I guess jwebb will have to get GH5 now since his hero Kurt Cobain is a playable character in it.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 /forum/post/17099855

Still don't see how anyone can have much fun with this game. There's no doubt the songs are rgeat songs in real life, but playing a whole game of songs without difficult guitar parts will be boring.

I guess jwebb will have to get GH5 now since his hero Kurt Cobain is a playable character in it.

Then this game is not for you. Save your $$.

And no - despite some temptation, I am not getting GH5 or the free VH game. Sticking w/ THe BEatles & awaiting the eventual RB3, that will undoubtedly do what RB2 on Wii did - take GH's Wii advancements in online/storage & marry those to what will still be a better game.

The real difference btwn the 2 franchises can be summed up by looking @ the 2 developers:

Harmonix - a bunch of musicians/music geeks that decided to get into video games & make a rhythm/music game that simulates being in a band.

Neversoft - a software developer who was given the task by a publisher of continuing a music franchise originally created by musicians (original GH & GHII - courtesy of HMX)

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 /forum/post/17096811

Nah anyone with common sense likes the best group of all time (gnr).

The mind boggles.

There's no account for taste I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 /forum/post/17099855

Yea, it is boring for Dragonforce nerds or whatever. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Most folks - me included - want to sit down with our SO or buddies and play through the songs, high-five when we get high scores, get in sync, and whatever. It's not really about the difficulty.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/17101704

Yea, it is boring for Dragonforce nerds or whatever. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Most folks - me included - want to sit down with our SO or buddies and play through the songs, high-five when we get high scores, get in sync, and whatever. It's not really about the difficulty.

Exactly. I appreciate a tough tune - a few Maiden tunes I still can't nail on Expert. But it's the fun of playing together - online is nice, but having the band (or most of it) in the same room is what RB is all about. As much as I dig solo play, it's the group/party aspect that really shines. And those times are not really about nailing the top score on a leaderboard or 100%-ing the toughest guitar part in the catalog.

The Beatles is just going to open up this type of game to so many more players. Would not surprise me if the Wii version sells very well - a major chunk of Wii's "casual" audience has a bullseye painted right on 'em when HMX & EA issues this next week.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.