AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to thank John of course for the design and hand holding throughout my build process.
Also want to thank Mark for holding these drivers for almost a year for me.
The plan is to fill a 24 x 28 x 7 room full of low end madness.

The build:

• 2-FTW21's each in a 24 cu.ft ported enclosure tuned at 12.5hz.
  • Each sub powered by a bridged EP4000
  • Balanced Minidsp acquired but still not hooked up
  • 3/4" MDF
  • Double thick front baffle
  • A lot of bracing.
  • Finished in 4x Deck finish in white

This is where I wanted to and placed the cabs originally. Probably the worst place in the room as bass was almost nonexistent.

So they were placed here last week. Now it's a complete different animal. This room can't withstand these subs. I can hear the room screaming and yelling "No Mas" everytime I turn the subs on.

Front 3 speakers are Powered EVZLX-15p for $500CDN each they do a hell of a job.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Allright, Allright, Allright!

great pictorial

makes one wonder might what new frontiers of woofage will be when that 32" in development is set free

Reactions: kingpin111

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're these stormtrooper inspired? Love how they look in your room. And good name those are whales of a sub!
LOL No not at all.
I thought the name suited them pretty good also.

When are you going to stop screwing around with these piddly little toys and build something serious?

:p
Haha. There maybe some more close quarter woofage coming soon. Next is the build of my mains. Sometime in the spring or summer.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Sweet Jebus. ... that's f'n insane..
Awesome job kingpin.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Holy LLT's Batman! :eek: Very nice! You didn't mess around, that's for sure. Awesome drivers in the right cab with plenty of power for each. What amperage outlet(s) do you have the EP4000's plugged into? They are old iron amps and are hard to beat for subs, but they do draw a lot of current.

I'm curious b/c IIRC, the EP4000 is a QSC RMX2450 clone. I will have two 2450s powering my subs and I've allotted a 20-amp circuit for each amp...but I was sort of wondering if I could get away with both amps on one 20-amp circuit. I seriously doubt it though.

GREAT cabs and glad to read that your placement issue was easily solved. If you can call moving a 300-pound cabinet "easy." :D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much power is applied to the driver in the graph?
2000 watts

Holy LLT's Batman! :eek: Very nice! You didn't mess around, that's for sure. Awesome drivers in the right cab with plenty of power for each. What amperage outlet(s) do you have the EP4000's plugged into? They are old iron amps and are hard to beat for subs, but they do draw a lot of current.

I'm curious b/c IIRC, the EP4000 is a QSC RMX2450 clone. I will have two 2450s powering my subs and I've allotted a 20-amp circuit for each amp...but I was sort of wondering if I could get away with both amps on one 20-amp circuit. I seriously doubt it though.

GREAT cabs and glad to read that your placement issue was easily solved. If you can call moving a 300-pound cabinet "easy." :D
They are each on their own 15 amp circuit. May not be optimal but it's good enough for now. I am renting this house and one of the agreements was that since the basement wasn't finished they would renovate it to my liking. I didn't want to push the wiring too far but I did have them give me 3 15amp outlets on their own. 1 each for subs and 1 for my main cabinets which will be built eventually.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW especially for the hosers out there. I really don't think you can beat that 4x deck finish especially for the price. I have 3 coats on these things and they are pretty much indestructible.
Home Depot can mix it in a multitude of colours and the cleanup and application is so easy. I also have no seams showing through with minimal prep on them. Just an extremely quick vinyl spackle applied to the joint and then sanded down smooth. I didn't feather it out or anything.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
BTW especially for the hosers out there. I really don't think you can beat that 4x deck finish especially for the price. I have 3 coats on these things and they are pretty much indestructible.
Home Depot can mix it in a multitude of colours and the cleanup and application is so easy. I also have no seams showing through with minimal prep on them. Just an extremely quick vinyl spackle applied to the joint and then sanded down smooth. I didn't feather it out or anything.
It really is a great alternative to duratex.
And those cabinets are so awesome I gotta say
Nice job... again.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Nice, very niiiiiicccceeeee. Apt name, as well. A well deserved tip 'o the hat to you, sir !!

Builds like this, that keep pushing the boundaries... very good stuff, indeed.

Curious, how would these compare to a pair of G-horns ? Not that I could fit either... :) not in my current house, anyway ;) well.... they might fit, without seats.... :eek: or oxygen :eek::eek:

Joseph

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
WOW very MASSIVE!!!!
Great tip on the 4X

Curious did you use PL to glue up the outer box as well as the braces?
And what did you use for the sealing from the inside?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOW very MASSIVE!!!!
Great tip on the 4X

Curious did you use PL to glue up the outer box as well as the braces?
And what did you use for the sealing from the inside?
The whole cabinet is PL'ed except for the front baffles. I had my landlord cut all the mdf for me to exact specs. This is the second time he has cut wood for me and it's simply perfect in every way. He's not a hair off anywhere. My job was a simple glue and brad nail. The front baffles were such a perfect fit I wood glued them in place. But just because I like overkill I did run a small bead of PL in the inside afterwards(acrylic over top that later on) and then wiped it down...just in case. lol
Braces were all PL'ed and nailed in. Wiring was strapped and then a white silicone was put over the strapping to keep it from vibrating and making noise in the cab.
All inside corners had a bead of white caulking applied and wiped with my finger to make sure it was embedded. When the last panel went on the pl was applied in a double bead on the inside and outside edge so when it sat down It made a perfect seal then brad nailed on.
Then each cabinet was ratchet strapped to hold it together while the final cabinet dried.

These things were awkward and heavy. 3+ sheets of mdf per cab plus bracing from 3/4 ply to help save a bit of weight.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Hey aren't those Marty 21's?.....LOL sorry I couldn't help myself. :D

Nice work Mike! They're tiny, you hardly even know they are there...lol

1 - 20 of 44 Posts