AVS Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Very nice build @kingpin111 !

Did you experiment with the stuffing at all? While I lined my Full Marty with memory foam mattress topper, I haven't yet installed the extra large body pillows yet. Just curious if you did any before and after listening tests or REW measurements.

Very cool subs!!

Mike

·
Registered
21,343 Posts
@mhutchins

hi mike, in these cabs the physical size from the driver to the rear panel is fairly large, so there is a possibility of creating a standing wave inside the cab. the pillows placed in the center of the cab interfere with the development of that wave an its effects.
mr. hurd decribes the problem, provides measurements, and then a solution, with measurements, here:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/18349-tc-1000-sonosubs.html
initially he packed several pillows at one end of his cab, but then later discovered that a single pillow located at the center of the cab knocked out the standing wave. since the air particle velocity is greatest at the center of the cab, absorption would be expected to work best in that location.
no comparison was made with other forms of absorption.
too much absorption will reduce output as josh showed here:
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=content&id=79

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^:)^^^^^^^^^^^

Reactions: Purenv

·
Registered
189 Posts
LOL!

I'll be making the trip to BC to see Ryan and pick everything up mid to late spring or early summer depending on what works dictate.

P.S. I'm on a concrete floor with laminate on top and the room shakes like a motherf****!
@mhutchins

hi mike, in these cabs the physical size from the driver to the rear panel is fairly large, so there is a possibility of creating a standing wave inside the cab. the pillows placed in the center of the cab interfere with the development of that wave an its effects.
mr. hurd decribes the problem, provides measurements, and then a solution, with measurements, here:
TC 1000 sonosubs.
initially he packed several pillows at one end of his cab, but then later discovered that a single pillow located at the center of the cab knocked out the standing wave. since the air particle velocity is greatest at the center of the cab, absorption would be expected to work best in that location.
no comparison was made with other forms of absorption.
too much absorption will reduce output as josh showed here:
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=content&id=79
Bumping a real old thread, but I came across this monster in one of my searches for sub build options while looking at Mach 5 since they're fairly close to me. All the pictures are gone from the OP by this point, but I'm wondering if either of you as the designer and builder still have any pics/dimensions/measurements of these? They seem pretty interesting for sure.

Reactions: Aaron37

·
Registered
21,343 Posts
Bumping a real old thread, but I came across this monster in one of my searches for sub build options while looking at Mach 5 since they're fairly close to me. All the pictures are gone from the OP by this point, but I'm wondering if either of you as the designer and builder still have any pics/dimensions/measurements of these? They seem pretty interesting for sure.
This is the only pic that I could find at the moment:

I'm not 100% sure if this was the final design:

They were gigantic and awesome. In the initial spot, they didn't work out so great. Once he moved them to his front corners, they came alive and he was super excited with the results.

John

Edit: Found this image. I think this is it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is the only pic that I could find at the moment:

View attachment 3094278

I'm not 100% sure if this was the final design:

View attachment 3094279

They were gigantic and awesome. In the initial spot, they didn't work out so great. Once he moved them to his front corners, they came alive and he was super excited with the results.

John

Edit: Found this image. I think this is it.

View attachment 3094291
Wow, thanks for finding those! They look awesome, definitely on my list of potential options

Reactions: Aaron37

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wow, thanks for reposting all the pictures, awesome build! Those things are absolutely massive lol, but I do technically have the space....

Reactions: kingpin111

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yeah I know but sometimes you got to do things you don't want to do.

How's the response with them sealed? Just curious.
I'd also like to hear your impression going from the large ported cabs to sealed.
TBH they seem to be missing something in the very, very low end but since they are now on a wooden floor with wooden joists instead of laminate over concrete I'm very happy with their performance. I know my placement isn't optimal but it's the only space I can put them. I'm sure you guys with all your REW know how can boost the low end. I had an old minidsp hooked up but it started to create a buzz and needed to remove it.
I don't do measurements and never have. Not smart enough. lol
I rely on information and the brains of people like @LTD02 to guide me through the process as best they can.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I don't do measurements and never have. Not smart enough. lol
I doubt that, but understand. The worst day (possibly) of my HT life was when I started taking measurements of my room.

"You don't know what you you don't know" was a favorite saying of an ex-coworker. Not knowing (or "ignorance is bliss") may be best.

Bottom line to those reading: If/when it sounds good to you, go with it.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts