AVS Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1883 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Man, is MadVR that bad you can’t use its HDR BT2020/DCI-P3 mode out with just some luminance tone mapping to help with this on projectors such as this BenQ? It works astonishingly well with the UB820, as you know I’ve said many times.

Wow that sucks for the HT9060. Good thing the LK990 isn’t that bad. At least where I can get it to.

Wouldn’t using an external outboard video processor/tone mapping device help all these, but you only mention it with the Sony and JVC and left it off the BenQ’s list. And with the BenQ being so much cheaper, it’d be easier to afford something like the Lumagen Radiance Pro.

Also, having manual lens shift on the BenQ for him is moot seeing as he has an ISCO III anamorphic lens and CineSlide.
MadVR is designed to be used over a base calibration of 2020 color and 2.2 gamma. Overlaying two tone maps makes very little sense unless you absolutely have to. Talk to Jim at Lumagen, Madshi or the lead engineer at Panasonic and they'll say the same thing, especially with projectors. This is why I get better results with the Panny doing SDR709 than your settings. It makes ZERO sense to go at the LK970 the way you are given that the Panasonic will do the color conversion using the proper matrix, so you're not eyeballing it, and having a base calibration for the tone map to overlay takes the guess work out of the tone map. Even Dolby does this with Dolby Vision. When you talked about the calibration of the 970 you even mentioned that you target 1000-1100 nits for the calibration yet you use the Panasonic in Basic Luminance projector mode according to the post. That is designed for a calibration that is at 500 nits. The only way to overlay two tone maps properly is to match them properly. That is why JVC came up with their color profiles for the new line in tandem with Panasonic so they'd be EXACTLY what Panasonic was expecting for the overlay. You could do the same thing with the Lumagen, but even Jim doesn't recommend it, but it may help. But if he already has a PC with MadVR, it makes more sense to try it there first.

The 9060 doesn't have any picture modes where you can properly calibrate to the base gamma and get the wider color gamut. As I mentioned already, you could possibly use a LUT calibration with MadVR to try and compensate, but I doubt the results would turn out well. If BenQ fixed their color gamut bug (not selectable except in HDR mode) this would not be an issue.

Agree on the lens shifting, for some reason I wasn't thinking about the fact that he uses a lens.

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
The rumors I've heard are that the successor is going to be announced soon and will be so much more expensive that those that considered an RS4500 would be well priced out of the successor.

That being said, since you were happy enough with the contrast performance of the LK990 you should just go with a 9060 and use the 30 day return policy if you dont like it.
That is a rumor - and nothing more. JVC has said that the RS4500 is the current flagship projector, and as long as they keep selling in the US, they will keep building them. The VW5000 apparently isn't being replaced this year either ( see that thread ) - and it's a bit older still.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
You're suggesting the black floor on the LK990 is better than the HT9060's?

When the 9060's dynamic dimming engages, its contrast gets about 4x to 5x better. But how much better does the LK990's get? Given the LK990 and 9060 share a similar light path and Smarteco but that the LK is about three times pre-cal brighter, I'm not sure how that happens. I forgot whether or not the LK990 lasers go full off. Does it have to do with that? :confused:
Yes, I would seriously question that statement also. With all of the extra light output, I would be surprised if the 990 had a black floor as good as the 9060. Talking about dimming with a single lit pixel, so that laser does not fully turn off.
I believe in pure measurements the ht9060 and lk990 are actually very close in native & dynamic contrast (both approximately 1000:1 native / 4000:1 dynamic in smarteco), and I believe Kris noted the ht9060 has a significant contrast advantage over the lk970 since no smarteco.

The main perceptual differences of the HT9060 vs lk990 come in with the wider color gamut and more saturated colors of ht9060 (HK effect from native LEDs vs color wheel) vs the greater brightness of the lk990, as well as the more stable picture of the ht9060 due to no RBE. Where each excels should boil down to screen size/gain, when 1700 calibrated lumens simply isn't enough this is where a move up to the lk990 with it's punchy brightness makes sense. But on smaller to medium screens or if rbe sensitive I'd advise the ht9060 for both PQ and functional reasons.

But anyways IMO it's those perceptual differences stemming from superior color (ht9060) and increased brightness (lk990) that may lead one to prefer one or another based on screen size/gain as opposed to measurable contrast performance

Also worth noting LEDs technically can fully turn off but this is generally undesirable with DLP HT PJs because it's too jarring and probably why benq didn't enable this.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
I would probably try a double stack of 2 budget JVC's before settling on a DLP just to gain brightness and sharpness.
However, it's a tough call.

Problem with double stacking is alignment causes some sharpness loss, and more importantly, lens memory is way too much trouble if double stacking.
So you have to go with a masking solution preferably and live with a Giant 16:9 image, or just live with a smaller 2.35 image.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe in pure measurements the ht9060 and lk990 are actually very close in native & dynamic contrast (both approximately 1000:1 native / 4000:1 dynamic in smarteco), and I believe Kris noted the ht9060 has a significant contrast advantage over the lk970 since no smarteco.

The main perceptual differences of the HT9060 vs lk990 come in with the wider color gamut and more saturated colors of ht9060 (HK effect from native LEDs vs color wheel) vs the greater brightness of the lk990, as well as the more stable picture of the ht9060 due to no RBE. Where each excels should boil down to screen size/gain, when 1700 calibrated lumens simply isn't enough this is where a move up to the lk990 with it's punchy brightness makes sense. But on smaller to medium screens or if rbe sensitive I'd advise the ht9060 for both PQ and functional reasons.

But anyways IMO it's those perceptual differences stemming from superior color (ht9060) and increased brightness (lk990) that may lead one to prefer one or another based on screen size/gain as opposed to measurable contrast performance

Also worth noting LEDs technically can fully turn off but this is generally undesirable with DLP HT PJs because it's too jarring and probably why benq didn't enable this.

It was my understanding that SmartEco between the HT9060 and LK990 are totally different modes. On the HT9060 it’s more like a dynamic iris in that it dims based on the darkness of the content. On the LK990 which is designed for business purposes it’s permanently darker to extend the life of the laser for installation environments. As a result in real content the HT9060 will have better blacks in that mode compared to the LK990.

It also calls into question whether the LK990’s “black floor” is in a usable mode. If you’re after the lumens, calibrate it with BC turned off (per Jav’s findings) AND set smarteco I don’t think the brightness will be anything near what’s expected from the PJ (and it would probably be dimmer than a fully calibrated 9060). Add the dimming from smarteco on the 9060 and I’d be shocked if the 990 came close to it in a real world application on blacks.

There are clearly a couple of key firmware limitations of each model BenQ need to fix to get the most from this series (gamut on the HT9060 outside HDR and calibration controls outside BC on the LK990).

Choice for me was very easy between the two due to RBE (I only viewed a 970, not 990 but understand they’re about the same on that issue) and for me personally I found it so bad it almost made me queasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
It was my understanding that SmartEco between the HT9060 and LK990 are totally different modes. On the HT9060 it’s more like a dynamic iris in that it dims based on the darkness of the content. On the LK990 which is designed for business purposes it’s permanently darker to extend the life of the laser for installation environments. As a result in real content the HT9060 will have better blacks in that mode compared to the LK990.

It also calls into question whether the LK990’s “black floor” is in a usable mode. If you’re after the lumens, calibrate it with BC turned off (per Jav’s findings) AND set smarteco I don’t think the brightness will be anything near what’s expected from the PJ (and it would probably be dimmer than a fully calibrated 9060). Add the dimming from smarteco on the 9060 and I’d be shocked if the 990 came close to it in a real world application on blacks.

There are clearly a couple of key firmware limitations of each model BenQ need to fix to get the most from this series (gamut on the HT9060 outside HDR and calibration controls outside BC on the LK990).

Choice for me was very easy between the two due to RBE (I only viewed a 970, not 990 but understand they’re about the same on that issue) and for me personally I found it so bad it almost made me queasy.
No Smart Eco is just as bright as full Normal mode, it just has dimming enabled and thus works with dynamic content as its intended.

Economy mode is the one which is dimmer even on peak white. You can kind of consider that low lamp.

The black floor does not change weather Brilliant Colour is on or off, which is why Brilliant Colour off actually reduces contrast (650:1 native), the peak white lowers a lot, whereas the black level is the same.

The 990 has 5k:1 dynamic contrast when Smart Eco and BC is on, and 1k:1 contrast when its in normal mode without dimming (Native).

My gripe with BC is that it cannot be calibrated to a proper standard due to lack of colour volume, and it has greyscale issues especially in combination with Smart Eco, it will 'wander' in colour temp as it dims considerably. It resulted in a quite unsettling image when compared with a proper working projector to instantly compare it to.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
I think the decision for most people looking at the Benqs is the Epson 5050ub vs. a bright DLP.
Problem is the Epson's pseudo 4k is not nearly as sharp as the Benqs is.

If people are going to be using GIANT screens, those are really the options oddly enough even though the price is very far off.

There are also some other Epson LCD's that are even way brighter, but none are even e-shift 4k yet I don't think (they are coming I think).

I honestly don't know what I'd prefer as I haven't seen the Benqs directly, but the LCD pixel fill always drove me crazy. I could probably live with it if i got used to it since it is better in the 5040 and 5050 with the e-shift grid. I saw a 5040 but didn't spend considerable time with it.

The Epson can do some pretty torchy near-best modes that are probably not that dissimilar in color accuracy to what you are getting with the Benq at the same lumens. At least for the 9060, but for the lk970/990, not sure about that as it appears brighter than the Epson's near best-modes (maybe).

The big question mark is can Epson make a Native 4k LCD projector with the LCD pixel grid being as it is, I assume so. If they make a Native 4k LCD, that could be a game changer, it could potentially look almost the same as LCOS for the most part.

That would be awesome if Epson released the 5060ub with Native 4k panels, 8k:1 native + better with DI.
That could actually be a REAL option and alternative for people wanting bigger screens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No Smart Eco is just as bright as full Normal mode, it just has dimming enabled and thus works with dynamic content as its intended.

Economy mode is the one which is dimmer even on peak white. You can kind of consider that low lamp.

The black floor does not change weather Brilliant Colour is on or off, which is why Brilliant Colour off actually reduces contrast (650:1 native), the peak white lowers a lot, whereas the black level is the same.

The 990 has 5k:1 dynamic contrast when Smart Eco and BC is on, and 1k:1 contrast when its in normal mode without dimming (Native).

My gripe with BC is that it cannot be calibrated to a proper standard due to lack of colour volume, and it has greyscale issues especially in combination with Smart Eco, it will 'wander' in colour temp as it dims considerably. It resulted in a quite unsettling image when compared with a proper working projector to instantly compare it to.

Ah cool. Makes sense.

·
Banned
6,554 Posts
The BENQ HT9060 & LK990 In-Depth Reviews & Comparison Thread

You're suggesting the black floor on the LK990 is better than the HT9060's?

When the 9060's dynamic dimming engages, its contrast gets about 4x to 5x better. But how much better does the LK990's get? Given the LK990 and 9060 share a similar light path and Smarteco but that the LK is about three times pre-cal brighter, I'm not sure how that happens. I forgot whether or not the LK990 lasers go full off. Does it have to do with that? :confused:
I’m not suggesting anything. I was only replying to what I know, and that’s that the LK990’s lowest blacks aren’t equivalent to 20% ADL on the JVCs and Sony’s as he’s saying. If he says the HT9060 is though, that’s on you and other owners to contend as I haven’t seen one yet.

MadVR is designed to be used over a base calibration of 2020 color and 2.2 gamma. Overlaying two tone maps makes very little sense unless you absolutely have to. Talk to Jim at Lumagen, Madshi or the lead engineer at Panasonic and they'll say the same thing, especially with projectors. This is why I get better results with the Panny doing SDR709 than your settings. It makes ZERO sense to go at the LK970 the way you are given that the Panasonic will do the color conversion using the proper matrix, so you're not eyeballing it, and having a base calibration for the tone map to overlay takes the guess work out of the tone map. Even Dolby does this with Dolby Vision. When you talked about the calibration of the 970 you even mentioned that you target 1000-1100 nits for the calibration yet you use the Panasonic in Basic Luminance projector mode according to the post. That is designed for a calibration that is at 500 nits. The only way to overlay two tone maps properly is to match them properly. That is why JVC came up with their color profiles for the new line in tandem with Panasonic so they'd be EXACTLY what Panasonic was expecting for the overlay. You could do the same thing with the Lumagen, but even Jim doesn't recommend it, but it may help. But if he already has a PC with MadVR, it makes more sense to try it there first.

The 9060 doesn't have any picture modes where you can properly calibrate to the base gamma and get the wider color gamut. As I mentioned already, you could possibly use a LUT calibration with MadVR to try and compensate, but I doubt the results would turn out well. If BenQ fixed their color gamut bug (not selectable except in HDR mode) this would not be an issue.

Agree on the lens shifting, for some reason I wasn't thinking about the fact that he uses a lens.
Well it works extremely well for me, so not sure what you’re doing wrong then. I’ve seen the image you’re saying on these LKs, but I was able to consistently remedy it. As a matter of fact I did it again last night with the poor Solo UHD transfer. No wonder you can’t get the image I am when you’re starting off with an inferior signal being input. I have talked to Jim at Lumagen btw.

I don’t just “eyeball it”, thank you very much. I measure and calibrate so it tracks to its fullest capability. I’ve already explained this to you but you’re choosing to ignore what I said.

@tnaik4 and at least one other LK970 owner have loaded custom 3D LUTs into MadVR and/or Lumagen for their LK970s with great results according to their reports.

Yes, I would seriously question that statement also. With all of the extra light output, I would be surprised if the 990 had a black floor as good as the 9060. Talking about dimming with a single lit pixel, so that laser does not fully turn off.
It’s at worst just as good or even better. Reports have confirmed this.

I would gladly put up my LK990 against an HT9060, no matter the screen size. Hopefully it’ll happen soon when I get another LK970 and a demo HT9060.

The LK990’s dimming does go full off.

You’re thinking of what is called the “Dimming Mode” on the LKs. That’s the business mode that reduces brightness immensely to get the longest life possible. The LK990 adds the full SmartEco mode, the same as the HT9060.

You do not need to turn off BC if you know what you’re doing and do it properly according to the engineers.

Economy mode is the one which is dimmer even on peak white. You can kind of consider that low lamp........
No, the mode he’s talking about is called “Dimming”.

.........My gripe with BC is that it cannot be calibrated to a proper standard due to lack of colour volume, and it has greyscale issues especially in combination with Smart Eco, it will 'wander' in colour temp as it dims considerably. It resulted in a quite unsettling image when compared with a proper working projector to instantly compare it to.

You’re still on that? I thought I explained what I was told and why the engineers did BC the way they did already? Did you consult with them?

I have been able to all but alleviate the color shift, except I think there’s still a slight red push in very low APL scenes.

A fellow AVS member and I saw this when he visited here early on in my adventure with the LK990. There’s a scene in The Revenant where you could see the river shift colors very easily as the camera pans across, when they ditch the boats. That is no longer an issue, if set properly.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,424 Posts
Would you like to place a bet on a replacement or successor being introduced at CEDIA this year? I will even sweeten the pot and say any other laser projector besides the 4500 introduced by JVC at CEDIA. Of course I am only referring to the HT side.
I'm not sure about the timing, so I won't bet on it being announced at CEDIA, but I will take the bet that it's significantly more expensive than an RS4500 when announced to the point that most RS4500 owners wouldn't have been able to consider whatever the replacement is at that cost.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have been able to all but alleviate the color shift, except I think there’s still a slight red push in very low APL scenes.

A fellow AVS member and I saw this when he visited here early on in my adventure with the LK990. There’s a scene in The Revenant where you could see the river shift colors very easily as the camera pans across, when they ditch the boats. That is no longer an issue, if set properly.
Dave. Are your current settings the ones you posted a page or two back? If not please post them and I’ll give them a try.

By the way, if and when you come stateside, if you want to demo the 990 with your just touch for others, let me know (PM me). I’d be happy to let somebody bring another projector or two by to do a shootout. Because I have the Paladin, it should be interesting. :)

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I’m not suggesting anything. I was only replying to what I know, and that’s that the LK990’s lowest blacks aren’t equivalent to 20% ADL on the JVCs and Sony’s as he’s saying. If he says the HT9060 is though, that’s on you and other owners to contend as I haven’t seen one yet.
Perceptually that is what they look like. BUT, I will know exactly where they stack up today compared to a JVC model as I am getting one in today. So I will measure the native black floor of the JVC vs the one in the 970 (which I still have setup) and will see where they stack up.

Well it works extremely well for me, so not sure what you’re doing wrong then. I’ve seen the image you’re saying on these LKs, but I was able to consistently remedy it. As a matter of fact I did it again last night with the poor Solo UHD transfer. No wonder you can’t get the image I am when you’re starting off with an inferior signal being input. I have talked to Jim at Lumagen btw.
See, that last sentence again just seals the deal that you have no idea what you're talking about with HDR and projectors. The signal isn't inferior at all. And based on all these comments I just can't take what you said you say seriously. I just think at the end of the day our definition of a good image, or even an accurate image is two different things. But I'm glad you managed to get an image you liked out of it.

I don’t just “eyeball it”, thank you very much. I measure and calibrate so it tracks to its fullest capability. I’ve already explained this to you but you’re choosing to ignore what I said.
I ignore you because you SAY things all the time, like you'd post your settings. You SAY you provide measurements, yet here we are. If you were actually doing these things I may take your word for a lot more than I am now, but most of what I've seen lately is excuses, whining and nonsense passed as objective facts. I've seen a lot of others here post measurements showing all the issues that are clearly present on these models and you saying that is because they don't know what they are doing or they have to ignore that and just look at the image or how can I be wrong with all my years! :rolleyes: The BC one being rich, somehow it is now the exception to the rule on measurements. Of course it is :rolleyes:

@tnaik4 and at least one other LK970 owner have loaded custom 3D LUTs into MadVR and/or Lumagen for their LK970s with great results according to their reports.
Great, but I didn't say that the 970 wouldn't work with a LUT. I was talking about the 9060 and its issues to a member that is thinking about using it with MadVR. An outboard device for tone mapping works fine with the 970, that is what I used with the pictures I took before and what I suggested people use instead of your "settings". The 9060 is a different projector with different issues.

You’re still on that? I thought I explained what I was told and why the engineers did BC the way they did already? Did you consult with them?
Sorry, having a conversation with engineers doesn't mean that the obvious issues that are visible and measurable are not an issue. I talked directly to the TI engineers at a meeting about DLP just over a year ago and listened to their absolute BS on how sequential contrast doesn't matter and is a gimmick and that ANSI contrast is the only true contrast measurement that reflects what we see in content. Then I listened to them say that there is no difference between a pixel shifted 1080p DLP projector advertised as 4K vs an actual native 4K projector because they are addressing pixels individually. So sorry if I don't always trust what the "engineers" say. I've worked and corresponded with a lot of different product engineers and managers (including BenQ's) that don't know as much as I would expect they would about not only their own designs but image science in general. After the 9050 review I spent a good half hour trying to explain to BenQ's engineer and product manager how 4K HDR content wasn't in P3 but in 2020, which they didn't understand at all.

·
Home Theater Enthusiast
5,779 Posts
You two need to find a A/V showroom, with two closed off rooms from each other and both setups with the same hardware. (Projector LK970/990 and same Screen)

Or even in the same room, but with a mechanical lens light blocker that can be toggled.

One calibrated by Kris and the other by Dave, and have people go into each and pick a winner of the one that has a better image! :D

But you cant tell the people whom calibrated each of the rooms or the projectors if in the same room..

Blind test!

I'm sure some here would pay an entry fee for something like that!

·
Registered
817 Posts
me and @Citation4444 worked for couple of weeks with TED from lightspace ( great guy who helped us a lot ), we both have an LK970 and i agree that its not very easy to calibrate it in an hour and call it a day, with my JVC it was a lot easier as in just let lightspace/calman do the patch measurement and the end result was excellent.

With that said , it took us 2 weeks honestly to finally nail the lk970 calibration, and that involved using actually 2 programs because at the time lightspace didnt have an easy way to calibrate a display that doesnt cover 100% of a certain colorspace and that cause posterization, now i think they have a new option to do all this automatically. We did a 9000patch measurement for rec709/2.2 which takes roughly 5-6hours each time u want to run it and the results were really stunning, night and day difference from stock,when u combine that 3DLUT with madvr tone mapping the image was richer colors with deeper image and made stock look flat and washed out in comparison. citation4444 has some measurment data which he took afterwards maybe he ll post them, but working around the gamut coverage limitations with a 3dlut really brings out what this projector can do.

i know this might be pretty advanced for a lot of users and some might want a projector to just plug and play, but i honestly believe any tv/projector u get will not be producing the best picture it can unless u do further calibration, some might be happy with a stock picture and some want to push it to the limit.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
You two need to find a A/V showroom, with two closed off rooms from each other and both setups with the same hardware. (Projector LK970/990 and same Screen)

Or even in the same room, but with a mechanical lens light blocker that can be toggled.

One calibrated by Kris and the other by Dave, and have people go into each and pick a winner of the one that has a better image! :D

But you cant tell the people whom calibrated each of the rooms or the projectors if in the same room..

Blind test!

I'm sure some here would pay an entry fee for something like that!
I'm game anytime!

me and @Citation4444 worked for couple of weeks with TED from lightspace ( great guy who helped us a lot ), we both have an LK970 and i agree that its not very easy to calibrate it in an hour and call it a day, with my JVC it was a lot easier as in just let lightspace/calman do the patch measurement and the end result was excellent.

With that said , it took us 2 weeks honestly to finally nail the lk970 calibration, and that involved using actually 2 programs because at the time lightspace didnt have an easy way to calibrate a display that doesnt cover 100% of a certain colorspace and that cause posterization, now i think they have a new option to do all this automatically. We did a 9000patch measurement for rec709/2.2 which takes roughly 5-6hours each time u want to run it and the results were really stunning, night and day difference from stock,when u combine that 3DLUT with madvr tone mapping the image was richer colors with deeper image and made stock look flat and washed out in comparison. citation4444 has some measurment data which he took afterwards maybe he ll post them, but working around the gamut coverage limitations with a 3dlut really brings out what this projector can do.

i know this might be pretty advanced for a lot of users and some might want a projector to just plug and play, but i honestly believe any tv/projector u get will not be producing the best picture it can unless u do further calibration, some might be happy with a stock picture and some want to push it to the limit.
This is a similar approach to what I did with the Panasonic. It uses a base gamma of 2.4 though. So in this case MadVR did the color space conversion from 2020 to 709 vs the Panasonic doing it, but MadVR is far more advanced in terms of how they do the tone mapping. I didn't do a LUT calibration for 709 because I wasn't using my Radiance.

I've heard about the improved performance with LS and displays that don't reach a gamut. I'm hoping to get some time with it this month as I have taken June off while family is in town. I've been too busy lately to get the time to try the new features out. Thanks for the insight!

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Kris, what would be your recommendation on the correct/recommended way to calibrate the HT9060? I am planning to involve a calibrator in the next few weeks. My source is HTPC (not using MadVR) and Sony X800M2 blu ray player.

·
Home Theater Enthusiast
5,779 Posts
Kris, what would be your recommendation on the correct/recommended way to calibrate the HT9060? I am planning to involve a calibrator in the next few weeks. My source is HTPC (not using MadVR) and Sony X800M2 blu ray player.

Are you running HDR content?

If just SDR, then just have your calibrator calibrate to the SDR standards.

·
Registered
28,798 Posts

It’s at worst just as good or even better. Reports have confirmed this.

I would gladly put up my LK990 against an HT9060, no matter the screen size. Hopefully it’ll happen soon when I get another LK970 and a demo HT9060.

The LK990’s dimming does go full off.

You’re thinking of what is called the “Dimming Mode” on the LKs. That’s the business mode that reduces brightness immensely to get the longest life possible. The LK990 adds the full SmartEco mode, the same as the HT9060.

You do not need to turn off BC if you know what you’re doing and do it properly according to the engineers.

No, the mode he’s talking about is called “Dimming”.

How can you say this, when you have not compared?

1021 - 1040 of 1883 Posts