AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like lableing this one woman's rough road to Plasma!!!Plasma arrived at 12:55 yesterday. SHipper called from a local store to get directions and said he had a 42" Plasma..I said " it better not be a 42" it should be a 46" in Plasma ( minor heart failure). It was a 46" the picking ticket was wrong.

So we get it in the house, the guy asks if I do not trust him because I am taking pictures and I tell him the reason why I am taking pictures is because I am in the business and the delivery process is critical. SHoulda been a big hint to him.

I said I wanted to inspect and make sure the unit is not damaged and he first said that they are not required to wait...WRONG ANSWER!!! I told him according to the sticker on the box I could inspect and mark his ticket for damages..so he said " oh I guess your right" mental note to tell people not to be intimidated by shipping people.

Homeboy shipper leaves and Lisa is alone with her Plasma. Turn it on nothing..panic ..then remember the idiot button under neath..great it turns on! Cannot get cable signal..people call and make fun of me all day long, customers and collegues try and help and I am fustrated all day long because all I can do is get the computer hooked up. I am having a hard time speaking to others about there set-ups as well...COMPUTER hook up is very fun and I want to find a permanent way to do this with a wireless keyboard so I can sit on my couch eating jelly beans while I am surfing the AVS forum.

9PM- Figured out the Svideo cable was bad so new one goes in and WALA it works!!!! The picture is so big that for a couple hours it does give me a headache but then it stopped, I am happy to report no dead pixels, unit is dead silent for the first 4 hours but then I could hear a audible hum..not so much a buzz so I assume it will hum or make that noise when it is run about 4+ hours. Unit had the black bar ghosting when I turned it on but since went away, and then I could see PIP split screen ( this was used at a tradeshows) but now I cannot see that either.

THE PQ is aboslutley incredable!!! My veiwing distance is probably a little close but who cares? Even standing right in front of the unit I see NO screen door effect..NONE!!!! Its awesome. I find trying to watch a show very distracting because I want to see what everything looks like so my attention span is short. Still have not viewed DVD yet, ( need another cable).

My setup is horrible right now the Plasma is on a coffee table, it is very low to make for comfortable viewing but the bottom line is it IS a sin to not wall mount this. So I am going to try and find a way, my kitchen cabinets are lag bolted into these plaster walls so why not bolt a wall mount into them? I also have very old pillars that I saved from my old porch that was remodeled into office space and they are very architectural with the style of the house so I am going to incorporate them into my home theater and place them one on each side of the plasma and run a nice peice of wood at the top to connect them together, I then am going to have plants cascade down and frame the plasma along with a nice ( probaby shaker style) cabinent to hold components. This will probably take me awhile. I also realized all of my components are junk..and need to be moved upstairs to the bedroom along with the old viewsonic television, yes..lisa went from a $200 television to a mega plasma unit..I woke up this morning thinking what the heck is this doing in my living room?? Its very weird.

Also, I am thanful this unit has built in Speakers but they sound tinty to me, so new speakers are on the list too..I so badly want to post ..what should I get, but Im afraid of being led to the search engine :D So what should I get????

ALso I am in remote hell..What should I get???:D

And last but not least I cannot decide on a paint color!!!!! With all this being said I am EXTREMLY happy!!!!! ( and have a terrible case of pixel pox). I hope you enjoyed my review for now, I will have more after I get more qaulity plasma time logged. Pictures are coming of delivery! stay tuned.

Disclaimer: This is my own personal Plasma experience and is not to be confused as marketing!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Congrats on the plasma!

do you plan on viewing hdtv material?

did you compare this to a hd model?

I just don't understand why people would buy an ed panel. I guess I am just picky about the resolution. confusing.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Lisa,

Welcome to the club!!! Congratulations!

Regarding the remote. If you're into having a graphic remote touchscreen I would recommend the Marantz or Pronto remotes (probably pronto Neo).

If you are more into hardbuttons and don't have the time or patience for graphics, probably MX-500 is your best choice. Goto www.remotecentral.com for info on all the remotes.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not yet. I need to call the cable company and get a new box ( I think) I do not have alot of time.. also I am being told that if I get a scaler it will pump up the resolution. I was thinking about this lastnight the PQ is so incredable to me that even if I never saw HD ..I do not know if I would care..well, maybe I would but the whole thing is GREAT as is right now until I become more acclimated with spruce ups. I bought it because it is 46" great PQ and GREAT PRICE.

Also, this unit handles HD very well because it accepts 1080i, 480p, 720p.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the mini-review Lisa- I've been waiting for it since I heard you were getting the Benq... I have been sort of surprised and intrigued since you posted your impressions of this unit at the CES this year... Please continue to post and include your observations of black level and 3-d effect that the pana ED model is known to be able to deliver on as well as the ability to scale well, suceptibility to ghosting etc. Is that too much to ask :p ?

I really like the ability to get 46" at such a great price-point and I'm really on the fence re: this and the panasonic ED.

Thanks and congratulations!

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
Lisa,

Congrats!

A 46" size plasma is very desirable for people with viewing spaces like mine (a 50" might look just a teensy bit large). Not that I'm looking for a new plasma, but I am curious how the BenQ measures up to other displays.

For instance, how are the black levels vs Panny etc?

Thanks again.

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LisaJ

Disclaimer: This is my own personal Plasma experience and is not to be confused as marketing!!
To be completely fair to all readers, the above disclaimer should also state that plasmaextreme.us sells the Benq 46" plasma and features it prominently on its website.

But the forum's rules prohibit that...

Anyway, what appeals to me GREATLY about Benq is the size. 42" inch may be a tad too small for me, and 50" might overpower the room. If Benq quality approaches (now or in the near future) that of the current crop of Pannies and Fujis, it might be the ticket.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
I also realized all of my components are junk...
You have been assimilated.;)

There goes customer service - Lisa will be too busy to answer the phone!:D

The columns and plants (spider plant? Vinca?) sound cool. We can expect pictures in, what, 3 years?:p

Enjoy!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lisa congradulations on receiving your Benq 46. I know your excitement on receiving it. As many of you know I started a thread about three weeks ago about receiving my Benq 46, but it was interrupted when my wife broke her hip. Thanks to all of you who e-mailed wishing her a speedy recovery. Yesterday we were given a date of April 29th for her release from the rehabilitation Hospital.

Wednsday night I finally got my TS T-160 Direct TV HD tuner hooked up correctly. Last night got my DVD player hooked up correctly.

I am not a technophile and do not have the knowledge to write a report anywhere as near as good as others have written on this forum. Because I am in and out constantly, but will have most of my evenings free I am going to attach my opinions as to the Benq 46 to Lisas. She is the expert

The good: 46 inches. There is no doubt it is bigger and better than the 42. Those extra 4 inches add 75 percent more to viewing enjoyment. The pq is fantastic. Looked at my first HD movie on Direct TV last night. Dont think I have ever really seen HD before in stores. Always appeared they were showing a cartoon dvd being played on a 79 dollar player. The HD last night was awesome. I was really surprised at the quality. I could see no artifacts or missing pixels. The blacks were great. The colors subperb.

Bought the new Harry Potter DVD at Costco yesterday. My son pointed out to me to read the label. It was the wide screen version only. I dont know which picture is suppossed to be better on a plasma, The HD from sat or a DVD. My sat HD is connected with a component video, My DVD with an S video. The DVD was slightly better in quality., but I have not had time yet to fine tune the plasma. I was mesmerized by the DVD picture quality. Didnt really watch the movie. Spent my time examining the picture for flaws. Did't find any

The Bad: The users manual is not very good. It appeared it was written by someone whose first language was chinese, but had studied English taught in French by a French convent school. If I remember right somewhere in the instructions they tell me not to stricken my remote or desecrate it. I still have not been able to get my DVI connection to work but I blame this on the instructions and my incompetence.

The Ugly. The only thing I can think of is the bezel, but that is because my wife really liked the Pioneer pro 1000 wood looking bezel. I have found a picture frame shop in the local mall who will make a dark cheery bezel with a slight gold strip around it. They have a way to attch it. Cost estimate by them less than a 100 dollars

Overall opinion so far is excellent. Now if I can only get DVI to work. Son is setting up wireless keyboard etc. for my wifes laptop wo she sit in her easy chair and use it. We have two desktop computers and two laptops and my sons server. He has them all connected by some kind of hub and card which I dont understand.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by djs
You have been assimilated.

There goes customer service - Lisa will be too busy to answer the phone!

The columns and plants (spider plant? Vinca?) sound cool. We can expect pictures in, what, 3 years?

Enjoy!
Hahah yes hello? Im watching my Plasma ..hold on..

Hahah no NOT 3 years!!! I figure I would go from start to finish here is one for ya!

Thanks for the congrats everyone! I am getting pixel pox right now until Monday..I need good qaulity Plasma time. I know all of you can understand.

Mellow,

I am fine with the bezel for now, but I probably will not be in the future! I agree with you the black levels are outstanding as soon as I get some more batteries I will take some screen shots and post them. One thing about the menu and I do not know if this is your DVI issue is that when you press input it wants you to select the input and I had a hard time figuring out how to keep svideo or in your case it may be DVI so it would search for the input. One thing that has me facinated is that it is kind of like a computer and searches for your connections if you will ( for lack of a better word). I do not know if that is what you mean, but when you choose the input you then need to select the arrow right button. Now I looked on the BenQ site and my remote may not be the same as yours as mine was bstock. Anyhow, just a thought.

Olerfer,

Definatley interested in the touch screen! Thanks for the good resource!

I will post black level pictures soon, photograpghing these things to do them justice takes some skill.

Have a Happy Holiday Everyone, Im going to shut down and have some fun shopping for Plasma stuff!

:: lisa scatters pixel dust over all as she flys out:::

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
One thing that has me facinated is that it is kind of like a computer and searches for your connections if you will ( for lack of a better word). I do not know if that is what you mean, but when you choose the input you then need to select the arrow right button.
FYI, the 433CMX has an 'auto' option which will automatically jump to an active input, although I think it only works with two of the inputs. And it's 'OFF' by default so I haven't played with it. Sounds like a PITA, actually.

This sounds like a good weekend to search for 'Easter eggs' on my DVDs.:D

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My remote has a auto too but it doesen't seem to auto anything???

I do not think my remote was the original to the unit though but it is a benq remote because it sais WOW on it.

Ok Im really gone..:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lisa the remote you describe sounds exactly like mine. I still havnt figured out what the auto does. On Benqs sight the remote that comes with their 42 inch seems much better. I figured out the right arrow function along with the input key and switch from component to s video when I go from sat to DVD, but still the DVI will not work.

I will be getting the 500 mx remote. If I dont Karen will be sitting there with four remotes. Sometime five. I know two of them are universal and I could program them, but I would rather have macro settings so I can push one button and have everything come on and then only decide which channel we want to watch on sat.

If any other Benq owners know the answer to how to get DVI working please let us know.

Because of the HD hardware thread I was able to get a free 3 LNB dish installed along with free labor and a two hundred dollar credit for buying a HD tuner

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Lisa,

Do you have directv hooked up? What is your evaluation on the SD channels? I got some info from a BenQ owner that he sometimes gets artifacts on live tv feeds.

Also, did you figure out what stretch options are for 4:3 material?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have Direct Tv. The local channels vary in quality, but I blame this on the bandwidth alloted by Direct and the signal being sent by the local stations. I havn't seen artifacts, but the signal sent by the local WB affiliate has shadows. The quality of the signal from WB varies during the day. Worse at night. I assume this is caused by Direct and WB and not by the plasma. NBC,CBSFox and ABC are fine.

HD on Showtime and HBO are amazing. We watched the basketball game last night. One channel had it in HD and another had it with the regular broadcast standard. We switched back and forth to compare the differences. Once you have seen the difference you dont want to ever go back. If the football games are in HD in the fall I will subscribe for the season. If I owned a sports bar I would invest in buying HD plasmas to steal customers away from other places.

Still have not been able to get DVI to work and the sharpness control doesnt work

For those who are interested I have a Yamaha 800 AV tuner and paradigm reference speakers all around.

The remote that came with the plasma is very poorly designed. My MX-500 arrives tomorrow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mellow,

You hit one of my main concerns, the Sunday NFL ticket. As far as what I have heard, the Sunday day NFL games will not be in HD. So will be an SD feed and I know it will matter on the cameras, etc., but...I understand from above that the HD basketball games was killer. Was the SD good?

Also, do you have the answer to how the BenQ streches the 4:3 material? What are the options?

Thanks,

Dean

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.