AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Sharp AQUOS LC-32D42U from Amazon, but it's out of stock. So, while I wait for it to return in stock, I wanted to shop around a bit more and maybe see what other options I have. How do Sharp's models compare with Samsung's and Sony's, for example? I'm currently under the impression that those three are the top three brands for LCD TVs, with Sharp at the top, but I wanted to know if that still holds true.

I'll primarily be using it for my Xbox 360, to play games and maybe watch a few downloaded movies. I can also get HD cable, so I'll probably use that as well. But the 360 is my real reason for getting it.

My only real preference is that the TV should have two HDMI and two component inputs. A PC input, VGA or DVI, would be nice, too, since I plan on moving this to my bedroom eventually and possibly using it as a wall monitor.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antenox /forum/post/0

I just ordered a Sharp AQUOS LC-32D42U from Amazon, but it's out of stock. So, while I wait for it to return in stock, I wanted to shop around a bit more and maybe see what other options I have. How do Sharp's models compare with Samsung's and Sony's, for example? I'm currently under the impression that those three are the top three brands for LCD TVs, with Sharp at the top, but I wanted to know if that still holds true.

I'll primarily be using it for my Xbox 360, to play games and maybe watch a few downloaded movies. I can also get HD cable, so I'll probably use that as well. But the 360 is my real reason for getting it.

My only real preference is that the TV should have two HDMI and two component inputs. A PC input, VGA or DVI, would be nice, too, since I plan on moving this to my bedroom eventually and possibly using it as a wall monitor.

Hi....

why not wait until March..... read about here GP1U

I already have a space cleared for the 37"!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because I'm scared of the price.

I'm only really looking for a good, 720p 32" LCD HDTV for about $1,000. $1,700 for a 32-incher is a bit much for me, especially since this TV will, within one or two years, end up as a bedroom backup.

Unless that 32-incher is available in stores for a grand or so, it's out of my budget. 1080p on THAT small a screen isn't worth it, although the other features do look yummy.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antenox /forum/post/0

Because I'm scared of the price.

I'm only really looking for a good, 720p 32" LCD HDTV for about $1,000. $1,700 for a 32-incher is a bit much for me, especially since this TV will, within one or two years, end up as a bedroom backup.

Unless that 32-incher is available in stores for a grand or so, it's out of my budget. 1080p on THAT small a screen isn't worth it, although the other features do look yummy.

Yea... it is a bit on the high side. I wasn't thinking budget wise.

Maybe check this out. Sceptre 37" .

I own one, and it's really pretty nice. I use it for my computer monitor (gaming is sweet), and TV. Nice 1080p set if you ask me. And for the price, it's a real bargain. I bought a sound system, because the speakers are not that great. But HD content is really nice. Hey, have a look and see what you think.

This review is what had me sold on it. Read up here.... Sceptre 37" @ HH

I do not understand why 1080p on a 37" LCD HDTV is not worth it? I am totally satisfied with mine. I love it. I have heard that before....Maybe it's just me? Don't know.

Anyhow.... Best luck.

...BR

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1080p MIGHT be worth it for some, but not for me. I used this chart , which I found here, to determine what size/resolution of TV I should get, and since I'm in a small apartment right now, 32" is about the biggest I can conceivably fit in my place, and I'll only be sitting about 6-7 feet away from it. So, using that chart, any benefit I gain from 1080p is going to be barely noticeable compared to 720p for a 32" TV.

I'll go 1080p when I go big, BIG screen, but for small HDTVs, I'm content with 720p.

Anyway, thanks. I think I'll go for the LC-32D42U. I'm not convinced that waiting another month or so will yield considerably better alternatives, so I might just cancel my current order and try to find the LC-32D42U in a place where it's in stock so I can get it sooner.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Look at the phillips 32". Its a nice tv set that is under 1,000. Only problem is a limited viewing angle due to the bulb placement (unlike their 37" properly lit set).

If able, up the budget and get a Samsung 3251D or the Sony Bravia (which ever is on a better sale) both are amazing and great picture.

I prefer the samsung with picture in picture, better looks in my opinion, and higher contrast ratio...which is why I bought it

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got a Westinghouse 32w6 about a month ago and it is great. Play DOD:Source, Red Orchestra, GTR2, Flat Out 2, GTLegends, Total War Medevil 2....etc

It is AMAZING for games, no ghosting and I'm 100% happy.

Also at $699 you can't beat the price.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRazaUnida /forum/post/0

Look at the phillips 32". Its a nice tv set that is under 1,000. Only problem is a limited viewing angle due to the bulb placement (unlike their 37" properly lit set).

If able, up the budget and get a Samsung 3251D or the Sony Bravia (which ever is on a better sale) both are amazing and great picture.

I prefer the samsung with picture in picture, better looks in my opinion, and higher contrast ratio...which is why I bought it

I'm still curious about the Samsungs. How do their 32" TVs compare to the LC-32D42U? And what's the difference between the S3251D and the S3296D or S3292D?

And Sony is just too expensive, period. I can't seem to find any 32" BRAVIA for under $1,150, especially not the XBR2s, whereas I can find most of the Samsung and Sharp models above for just under $1,000.

·
Registered
505 Posts
What about the Panasonic 32" TC32LX60? I know panasonic is making a good plasma set, but I don't see much on their LCD's. Any one have one and can provide some feedback. I am looking for something for a couple bedrooms, mostly OTA HD, digital cable and xbox 360....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just went to Fry's and bought the LC-32D42U today. VERY happy with it.
My only qualm is that it doesn't detect if an SD picture is widescreen or not. It just shoehorns them into a static setting of either sidebars, stretched, or zoom, regardless of the aspect ratio. But then again, I guess it would take a good deal more video processing power to detect letterboxing. Still, it's really annoying to have to change the aspect ratio whenever I switch between watching television and watching a DVD.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.