Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Check http://www.melco.co.jp/home/visual/projector.html

It's the Mitsubishi LVP-2001 CRT projector. I think it was released late 1999 and still in production. With a new and unique 7" EMF (yes, like the NEC PG series) fine phosphor tubes, in-house all glass lens, all types of color correction and filtering, low fan noise, 2 set RGB/component connections. It should be THE best 7" CRT projector. Too bad it is sold only in Japan.

Any friend from Japan knows it's performance? Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Mine came up in German!

Curt

·
Registered
973 Posts
Features:

Clear, high resolution

Beautiful colors

Low noise

Labor saving design (?)

Some info from the page:

MSRP: 1,290,000 Y$ or about US$10,000

4:3 (80-150 inches) {not sure what measurement that is}

16:9 (80-170 inches)

7" 90-degree electrostatic CRT

800 lumens

Resolution 1280 by 720

Inputs: RGBHV, B:RGB, Y, Cb, Cr

AC 90-110V

260W power consumption

53kg weight

Bryan

·
Registered
16,840 Posts
I just spoke with a gentleman who claims to have one of these units for his company that is based in Japan . Only get this , they only use it for presentations - UGHHH !!!!! He said that they went with the Mitsubishi due to the cost [ which he somehow thought was cheap , I guess for a new crt it is cheap ] and the fact that it is currently in production and has a full warranty . When I asked him why they did not just go with an LCD or a DLP unit he simply said " Image Quality , due to the fact that I can't see very well [ and he laughed ] " . Nuff Said - CRT is King ;) ! Although I did have to tell him that usually LCD units produce a better desktop image than crt units , he knew this and said " yeah , but we do more with video than desktop " . I can't say which company he owns but I will tell you that it is in the video game industry ;) .

Very strange that this topic was just posted and I happened to speak with a gentleman that owns one , strange indeed !

Oh yeah , he did say that the image was superior to the old unit they had been using [ a Sony 1272 - which they literally threw away :( ] .

Fun stuff ....

Jason Berg

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I don't think that the Cine7 is the finest 7 inches pj, but I aggree on the fact that it produces a very good, sharp image, stunning colors and great depth...

It is equipped with MEC (Panasonic) tubes, and is capable of 69 Khz with 75 Mhz bandwidth.

regards

Romano

·
Registered
244 Posts
Here are some facts About the Mitsubishi LVP-2001

It is the Only Japanese CRT still in production, since SONY was the last to pull off last year.

The unit can be seen in action in several A&V shops in Japan (such as http://www.avac.co.jp, can provide infos if somone is around)

It is a long seller in Japan since Nov.1999, designed for HT only.

7" inch MEC (Matsushita) tubes

Good points:

The lenses are color-corrected and give excellent, strong colors.

These are all Glass lenses, produced by a Japanese sub-contractor , they give a very well-focused image too.

Good black level, and brightness for a 7"

It can display up to 1440x900 at 48HZ from HTPC

The fan is relatively quiet

Size is not too big

Low power consumption at 260W

Good price at $7000 New (880'000 Yen is the retail)

Image looks better than cine7 (better focus, brightness).IMO

Bad points

Very difficult to converge/focus on your own, need a pro (usually charge $400 from the shop, $700 form the maker).

Limit up to 45Khz scanning, which limits HTPC use.

Not as contrasted,detailed or bright an image as a 8" or 9", but close in shoot-outs. Best used with up to 240cm wide screen.

Only sold in Japan.

Appearance:The casing looks old and rough (same one as the 1980's Mitsubishi CRTs)

Only 100v

Rob.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
CRT_Bob,

Very nice first post - congrats!

You've probably outlined its too major competitive advantages:

- all glass lenses

- color corrected CRTs

Those with experience in optics know that all glass will almost always produce greater clarity and sharpness than the more common acrylic/glass hybrid lenses.

Color correction is also important, once you've had it there's no turning back.

Obviously, there are other areas where a projector can pass a better signal, so the electronics are probably at least on a par with the Cine7?

Cheers,

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Roland Wandinger

Have you seen the two side by side. As a Cine 7 owner I'm really curious about this after all the Cine 7 costs about twice as much!
Gruezi

Yes, I have seen Cine7 side-by-side with the Mitsubishi LVP-2001 when one large A&V shop ( http://www.dynamicaudio.com/ ) did a well organized shoot-out comparison between 5 different CRT's. in sept. this year.

Same DVD player&Disc, screen (stewart 1.3g), room, cables etc.. The Cine7 gave a very good image with excellent, saturated colors, but it seemed a bitdarker overall, and less sharp than the Mistubishi. The difference was very little though.You need to look at both images for several minutes at least, to start noticing some differences.

Cine7 was much easier to converge, and much more user-friendly according to the installer, who is an experienced guy (Mr.Uehara) in the CRT projector setup business here in Japan.

On that day, his comment was that for the price and design (no fans), gray scale/image quality and convergance ease, the Barco Cine6 gave the best price-performance, if you limit yourself to up to 200cm wide screens.

Rob

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I have seen Cine7 side-by-side with the Mitsubishi LVP-2001 when one large A&V shop

( http://www.dynamicaudio.com/ ) did a well organized shoot-out comparison between 5 different CRT's. in sept. this year.
Grüezi :cool:

Interesting to hear that there is an manufacturer who can produce such good CRT pj for a price as low as $ 7'000. Mitsubishi isn't planing on releasing a 9 inch version of the LVP-2001 for say $ 21'000? ;)

Are these pj only for the japanes market or will they be available in Europe and the US at a later date?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I believe LVP-2001 is a Japan-Only product.

I spoke with a Mitsubishi Marketing guy of the HT division at Infocomm Japan in sept.this year, and he said they do not plan to release any other CRT projector (I asked him the same question about a 8 or 9 Inch version). He said they will continue making the LVP-2001 as long as parts are still being manufactured by suppliers. However, according to other good sources Mitsubishi is not profitable at all in this CRT business, as the HT market is enough to sustain a CRT projector line. The Industrial market is needed to be profitable for a technology, hence DLP & LCD. So who knows how long the LVP-2001 will be on the market. SONY pulled off from CRT production because of this reason (not profitable), and the timing was when USP (lenses) raised their prices. A&V shops sell much more LCD'S and DLP's and no Japanese manufacturer is investing anymore in developping CRT technology, to my knowledge. SONY Marketing's projector division R&D person told me they believe LCD technology?will achieve CRT image quality (blacks) within 2/3 years. Barco seems to be the only major manufacturer still serious about CRT technology, and the pricing is designed to be profitable even when the number of units sold are low (The Cinemax is a good example..). Barco has very good reputation and credit for continuing CRT development, amongst CRT fans in Japan.. I was also Blown away by the Cinemax's image quality. Rob

·
Registered
31 Posts
So Barco is basically the only one that can garantee to still have CRT's in the following years?

I can agree on your opinion about the CineMax Bob, absolutely fabuloutastic! :D

If I would only have the money... :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.