AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been playing BF2 on my desktop gaming machine and really, really enjoying this amazing game. I'd like to see what it looks like on my big screen though. My HTPC has been running only Theatertek so I've been using a fanless 9600 Pro and P4 3.4Ghz CPU. The mboard is an Asus P4c800E-Dlx which if I remember is not PCI-E compatible.

So what is the best video card that you peeps would recommend for dual use? The new 7800GTX sounds awesome, but it doesn't come in AGP flavors. I could go with a 6800GT but I'm worried about the image quality in Theatertek. I'm leaning towards an ATI X850 AGP. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can't speak for Theatertek, but I do use a 6800GT on my HTPC with Zoom Player and the image quality is outstanding (blows my Progressive-Scan JVC DVD player away). I just installed BF2 on the machine last week and it looks and plays very well (display is a Mits 65" RPTV).

Understand that you will not be able to play BF2 online on a 2nd HTPC without purchasing another copy of the game (which I think is total B.S. - you should be allowed to install it on multiple machines as long as you only ever play one at a time). I emailed EA Games about it and their response was that the 2nd install would be rejected online. You will be able to play locally, but still ... greedy bastards. /rant

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jman, thanks for the headsup regarding EA policy of installing on two machines. You are right, it is total BS... sigh!

The drawback of the 6800 over the 6600 is that the 6600 includes more HW support for things like WMV acceleration. How does the picture quality compare though? It's a shame that the new 7800GTX doesn't come in an AGP version. Maybe I should wait and see what the new ATI card will be...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Get that x850XT. My co-worker just got one. It's aswesome.....

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
jman311 wrote:

Understand that you will not be able to play BF2 online on a 2nd HTPC without purchasing another copy of the game (which I think is total B.S. - you should be allowed to install it on multiple machines as long as you only ever play one at a time). I emailed EA Games about it and their response was that the 2nd install would be rejected online. You will be able to play locally, but still ... greedy bastards. /rant

There are plety of sites that will have key generators. Just use it and you'll have as many comps you can handle online at the same time. Be sure its for the same version number if you also want to play w/o having the CD or DVD in the the bay.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Go nVidia and not ATI branded cards. ATI doesn't have driver updates nearly as often as nVidia. I've had countless artifacts ,screen rendition issues, and picture aberrations with ATI. I've built at least 10 comps throughout the years, the gaming softwares tend to show the least amount of probs with nVidia's. I gave ATI another try last year with the 9600 series $ 350 board, and was dissappointed with Unreal tournament 200x, and various EA games. Clearly I;ve never learned from my own lessons. Until their compatibility issues are quality controlled, I'll never buy it again. Last good quality ATI was 1996.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
Quote:
Go nVidia and not ATI branded cards. ATI doesn't have driver updates nearly as often as nVidia.
ATI has monthly driver updates

nvidia does them once every 3 months if you are lucky

so thats complete BS

I would go with an nvidia card anyway though

you said you plan to use TheaterTek

well TheaterTek comes with the nvidia drivers

but I would suggest the 6800 GT as well

or a pair of 6600 GTs in SLI

but most PCs with these fast of video cards usually do not WMV acceleration

and BF2 recommends a 6800 or better

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Shot
There are plety of sites that will have key generators. Just use it and you'll have as many comps you can handle online at the same time. Be sure its for the same version number if you also want to play w/o having the CD or DVD in the the bay.
My understanding is a "generated" key would allow you to install the game (which I can already do with my official key), but it wouldn't allow you to play online. The EA servers would reject the key AFAIK.

Also, without using a cracked "no-cd" .exe you can't get around the need to have the DVD in the drive... but that wouldn't give you the ability to play online with a "fake key" either.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's insane.. I was interested in BF2, but I have computers all over the place (at work, in my kitchen, in my HT, my Dell 9200 laptop..) - if they think they will sell me a game I have to use on only one of these while playing online, they think wrong.

Too bad...

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
What happens if your PC dies?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
ATI has monthly driver updates

nvidia does them once every 3 months if you are lucky

so thats complete BS

I would go with an nvidia card anyway though

you said you plan to use TheaterTek

well TheaterTek comes with the nvidia drivers

but I would suggest the 6800 GT as well

or a pair of 6600 GTs in SLI

but most PCs with these fast of video cards usually do not WMV acceleration

and BF2 recommends a 6800 or better
Hey you know as well as I know that Forceware drivers get leaked almost on a weekly basis, there are far more nVidia drivers than ATI drivers. Official drivers, that's a different story.

The best AGP card for those things would be x850xtpe, but I'd wait to see if ATI makes one more card in AGP before buying anything. NVidia has pulled out of the agp market completely.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
No-CD and generated keys CAN allow you to play online.

ATI updates far far fewer times than nVidia. Check out computer forums, and you'll see all the lack of driver updates.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 7800 may still be released in AGP. Everytime I read or see something about it nvidia is reluctant to come right out at say "No there will never be an AGP 7800 gtx." It's always "Not right now," or something like that. I'm not holding my breath though. ATM for AGP w/ nvidia you either have to go with hdtv out and fully functional pure video(6600), or with a high performing card(6800), but you can't get both. This makes the x800xtpe and the x850xtpe look more attractive, although the prices are still high on them.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have 6 comps at home all installed using ONE game disk source, used generators and No-CD patch to each comp. Play online and having a LAN party all at the same time. Total comps at the house with guests : 12 comps. Am happy as a clam.

Having to pay for a game: $ 50

Having to install patches; $ 0

Having Friends over to frag: Priceless

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
jman311

Give it a little more time, the ones out now may be buggy.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn
The best AGP card for those things would be x850xtpe, but I'd wait to see if ATI makes one more card in AGP before buying anything. NVidia has pulled out of the agp market completely.
Sounds like great advice. I'll hold off for a bit and see what magic ATI releases. 7800GTX performance in a AGP card would be awesome for BF2 on a 1080p screen.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.