AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is simply for use as a second player but I don't want to buy something cheap just for the sake of being cheap.

So can anyone recomend a good dvd player for under a $100?

I was looking at the apex 1201 but from what I've scanned from the net their stuff is pretty cheap and tends to break easy. It does however look like a great player for the price and plays a ton of formats.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Best interlaced? Not sure your going to get a good progressive at that price yet. My vote would be the Toshiba SD-1800, $99. The progressive version of this is the 3800, $159. I have and like my Apex 5131, but not sure it would be as reliable as the Tosh.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Best Buy is running a progressive player branded Cyberhome for $69.00.

Don't know who really makes it but for a second or third player might be ok.

I bought two just in case.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you go to the store to get it at that price or did you order it online?

That player looks decent but I haven't seen any reviews of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Cyberhome players are made by, shock-horror, Cyberhome. Well, they outsource actual production to the Far East, but the design and specs are Made In Germany. It's a German company ( www.cyberhome-europe.com ) that's been going for something like 2.5, 3 years now. I've got a Cyberhome AD-M212 of just over 2 years old as my primary player. I'm sure I could buy a better one, but I can't really afford to. For the 500 guilders ($200 at the time) it cost me a little over 2 years back, it's served me very well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ivwshane
Did you go to the store to get it at that price or did you order it online?

That player looks decent but I haven't seen any reviews of it.
There are a few on www.nerd-out.com/forum/ , it sounds like people either have problems or don't. I loved the region hack and the PAL to NTSC conversion but I had a problem with the picture so I returned it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I, too, am returning mine; it looks as though I'll have to spend almost ten times the $49 I paid for the Cyberhome CH-500 to get the features I want (region free play and PAL-->NTSC conversion) with the quality I want. Mine has the stuttering problem mentioned by many others, but I was prepared to ignore it, since it seems to be related to video-sourced content and most of the disks that I want from other regions/other formats are film based. But now, having watched a number of Region 1 NTSC films through progressive out, it's clear that the quality of the playback falls FAR below that of my old, non-progrssive player, the Toshiba 3109, a 4 year old design. Yes, I re-calibrated with VE when I switched players -- but even more than the Cyberhome's problems correctly displaying tint and contrast, the final straw is the sheer graininess of its output even on the best lookng films (LOTR, Fifth Element, etc.). Watching splotchy, grainy faces is NOT my idea of heaven! Ah, well, it seems one gets what one pays for....

Cheers, Mark

·
Registered
32 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.