AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, need some help to validate (or correct) my likely choice for an inline duct fan to exhaust my hushbox for my G90. I have a 6" heavily insulated 25' duct in place (with 2 "S" runs to kill any fan noise, hopefully!). I was looking at these inline duct fans to handle the exhaust part--I just need to validate that the CFM specs are good enough to keep the G90 happy and cool. The fan is going to be located at the end of the duct run, about 25' of ductwork away from the CRT/plenum; the front face of the G90 is going to remain open to draw air in over the tubes. Per Roger Galvin's input, I'm leaving about 12" of open space in the hushbox behind the back of the G90, above which the duct opening will be located (so hot air is pulled up into the duct via the fan).

Is the 6" fan here good enough? Or should I do the 8" version and enlarge the duct before it hits the inline fan? Thoughts, corrections, etc. welcome!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Alex, check out Active Thermal at their website. They have an inline fan designed for 4" tube. It may be possible to make a plenium at the end and use two of the units.

www.activethermal.com

·
Registered
411 Posts
Im not sure about the NEC projectors, but the Barco's draw air in from the back of the chassis and push it thru past the crt's and out the front. I'm building a hushbox as well and I'm ducting the inlet of air to the back of the hushbox while leaving plenty of open space in the front for the exhaust. Are the NEC's fans reversed and draw air in from the CRT's? Thanks... PS, I'm using a bathroom fan and I'm mouning it in a linen closet. I'm going to cut an additional 1/2 inch off the bottom of the door so that plenty of AC gets into the closet. Thanks...STeve.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just so we're on the same page, the G90 is a Sony unit, not an NEC. The airflow is the "traditional" front to back, with air sucked through the lens openings and exhausted through the back. I went ahead and did the 10" fan type I was looking at (to be inserted using a 6"->8" coupler then a 8"->10" coupler) after speaking with the manufacturer. It should be here tomorrow. The hushbox is almost ready, so we'll do a "system test" tomorrow or more likely Wednesday.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
For hushboxes in general has anyone ever built one with the front sealed by glass? Run two air lines into the hushbox itself... a feed and a return. I would think with fans in both the feed and the return (or a strong fan on the return) you could get plenty of airflow inside the hushbox while really keeping the thing very silent to the room itself.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shawn:

My installer suggested this very idea--he has had some customers do it, but apparently great care must be taken in the glass selection to avoid any untoward effects. Unfortunately, I have only the exhaust side of the equation--I was going to drop in a cold air feed, but it would have been tied to my basement HVAC zone, so I would had to turn on the A/C in the dead of winter to ensure that the projector was fed cold air (or any air, other than hot air). Trust me, if I could do it over again, I would have done it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.