AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you guys tell me about good quality HD (or SD I guess) camcorders that have a 24p film mode, or some shooting mode that will resemble 35mm or film like qualities the best? I've wanted to try some out and see for myself so preferably something I can pick up at a Best Buy, Circuit City or the like. I want to actually film some things and watch them on my TV to see if I actually want to keep the camera. Just reading about specs and whatnot doesn't really do it for me. So which ones should I try out?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Or the HG10 which is the same as the HV20 except it's hard drive based recording and a bit more solid construction. runs about $750.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli /forum/post/12917149

Take a look at this review and you can see that the HG10 is not as good as the HV20 in 24P mode, the main concern of the OP.You can go straight to the conclusion and see that the reviewer liked the camera but not its 24P capability.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...view-33146.htm

Sergio

I saw that review, however I think the reviewer was using a bad codec that didn't support 24P. some codecs turn 24P into 29.97 and therefor it's choppy. I have the HG10 and have done 24P and it's flawless.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Depends on how much you want to spend...I work in Television and own a small Music Video Production company so I could be here a while talking cameras!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your replies. I was looking into the HV20 actually. Don't know if the HV30 will be that much of an improvement.

I really want this camera for filmmaking use only. I want a professional film look. Does anyone know any specifications for what film festivals require to submit? I remember hearing that they changed the film only policy to include digital but that it has to be 24p. Anyone know for sure?

Also, I'm assuming Canon is the best (only?) at doing 24p at this great of a price. Sony just doesn't offer the level of manual control that I want. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I just bought a HV20 today for personal use and some limited corporate location shooting.

I would note the HG10 is not like the HV20 as far as AVCHD -vs- HDV and their inherent editing support options. While I love the newer AVCHD codec based cameras, they are a pain in the butt to work with as far editing in Final Cut Pro. Editing under windows offers a better workflow.

I would also note Cineform offers a realtime telecine pulldown support for the HV20 under windows, which is also a real nice work flow advantage. I'll be looking into running Cineform on My MacPro under Parallels.

The HV30 is due out sometime this month and I believe 30P support and a black exterior are the only real differences. I needed to buy my camera now, so I don't have the luxury of waiting.

If I were able to wait a little longer, there a bunch of new cameras coming out in time for NAB.

edit... I would also note manual mode support is not a strong suit for the HV20. A good manual support HD camcorder is the older Sony HC1, but it doesn't do 24p. You might have to move up in price and size to start to get into the kind of manual controls I think you mean.

Anyway... every camcorder has a list of pro/cons, however at the current discounted price, the HV20 is pretty compelling rig.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1906 /forum/post/12917232

Depends on how much you want to spend...I work in Television and own a small Music Video Production company so I could be here a while talking cameras!

Chuck...

What's the name of your company? I work in corporate communication in Wilmington, editing in Final Cut Pro and producing motion graphics in After Effects.

I'd love to check out some of your work some time.

cheers

RJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts