AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Fairfield area of CT and previously got terrible OTA reception on my Proscan PS38000. My DTC100 has a great picture at a 35-40% signal, but anything below that is unwatchable. This was using a very large Wingard antenna that was both VHF and UHF. I realized later that the UHF section was the shorter section in the front and that the majority of the antenna surface area was for picking up analog 2-13.

Disgusted, I looked all over the internet for a good UHF antenna and came across the Channel Master Parascope (on their website). Unfortunately, this model was recently discontinued; but not due to its performance (according to a CH tech)but because of high manufacturing costs (this thing is a monster!).

Most places were sold out but I was able to find a few left at lnl.com. Check then out at:

https://www.lnl.com/cgi-bin/tame.cgi/lnl/uhf.tam

This thing is so large I opted to pick it up because shipping cost more than the antenna. I paid $115 but it looks like they are running out (they only had about 10 a month ago when I bought mine) and raised the price to $175.

But it is worth it! I get all the NYC channels, except PBS 61, and the signal went up from 30-50% to as high as 70-80%.

Anyone in the area should get one before they are all gone.

On another topic, does anyone else get a digital signal for channel 64 in the NYC area? I do not get a good signal and have no idea what channel it is.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
WPVI-DT Channel 64 is in Philidelphia. That's 80 miles from NYC.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
306 Posts
If anyone wants a Parascope for $75 (or make me an offer) I have one behind my garage PREASSEMBLED! It is in perfect condition. You must haul it away. For $100 even I throw in a Winegard Amplifier (again - offers?)

I am in Canton, CT.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
"The BEST HDTV antenna"

This assumes the DTV channels you want to get are on the UHF band. Which is usually the case, but there are exceptions, as some DTV channels are on the VHF band.

After the FCC takes back the part of the UHF currently being used for DTV (and shuts down analog NTSC), there will be a lot of UHF DTV stations going back to VHF.

The Parascope is reputed to be the best UHF antenna for distant reception. In many cases where the Parascope is closer to the transmitting location, it would be unnecessary, and possibly even prevent proper DTV reception by overloading the DTV tuner with too much signal or multipath.

It has been reported by Stereophile Guide to Home Theater, that even though CM has "technically discontinued" the Parascope, they still have "a few hundred left in the warehouse", list price $185.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 08-28-2001).]

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asunc:
If anyone wants a Parascope for $75 (or make me an offer) I have one behind my garage PREASSEMBLED! It is in perfect condition. You must haul it away. For $100 even I throw in a Winegard Amplifier (again - offers?)

I am in Canton, CT.
How can I get in touch with you?

Arnold

·
Registered
906 Posts
Does this mean that the antenna that I have now will pick up High definition signals as they become available? Assuming that is correct, what else will I need in order to enjoy HDTV - besides a HD tv?

·
Registered
88 Posts
What is the best UHF antenna for digital?

Easy....

APS -U92

Here is the web site. It is the flattest has the best (real) gain and handles multipath better then any antenna I have tested to date. I use it elusively now....

URL is:
http://www.antennaperformance.com/new/

Only bad thing is that the construction could be better, but I have had no problems with reliability.

The antenna is 90 inches long. All elements are active. It has very low VSWR (No internal reflections due to impedance problems) to cause DTV reception problems. I have had antennas (Winegard) that the vswr was rather high and resulted in marginal DTV reception. If you have any questions I would be glad to reply. Has as much gain as the parascope with out the size.

Pat

------------------

HDjunky

·
Registered
88 Posts

Easy....

APS -U92

Here is the web site. It is the flattest has the best (real) gain and handles multipath better then any antenna I have tested to date. I use it exclusively now....

URL is:
http://www.antennaperformance.com/new/

Only bad thing is that the construction could be better, but I have had no problems with reliability.

The antenna is 90 inches long. All elements are active. It has very low VSWR (No internal reflections due to impedance problems) to cause DTV reception problems. I have had antennas (Winegard) that the vswr was rather high and resulted in marginal DTV reception. If you have any questions I would be glad to reply. Has as much gain as the parascope with out the size.

Pat

------------------

HDjunky

·
Registered
88 Posts
OOPs...sorry for the double entry....

------------------

HDjunky

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Prjoy:

Easy....

APS -U92
Pat;

very cool looking antenna (reminds me a bit of the laser used in "Goldfinger" to zap James Bond!). Have you had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison with the Parascope? Was delivery of it a big deal?

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

[This message has been edited by HiDefGuy (edited 09-01-2001).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.