AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been answered before... but could someone please let me know what the best HDTV tuner for Windows XP is? What I mean by best is the quality, ease of use, and recording cap.

Thanks,

Danny

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
No, not really :). We can all give you our opinions, but there are a lot of factors in choosing a card. I like the MyHD120 over the FusionII myself, having had both. Others disagree. Read up on them all before you commit to one and save yourself some cash.

-MP

·
Registered
288 Posts
The truth of the matter is that there really is no "best" HDTV tuner card yet, as they all seem to have problems of somekind. In my personal opinion HDTV tuner cards aren't really ready for primetime yet and won't be until a card comes along that has all the bugs ironed out. The problems range from little bugs in the software to major problems in the device drivers. An example of one of the more significant issues is the problem most of the Janis based card (Hipix, MyHD, HiDTV) have whenever they are used in a system that features either hyperthreading or SMP that causes lockups and crashes. Another example is the stuttering issues that the Fusion cards seem to have whenever they are sharing IRQs. This is a problem because on most modern systems running win2k or XP with ACPI enabled IRQ sharing is common practice. Anyway, the point is all of the HDTV tuner cards currently availble seem to have problems of one kind or another.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Stefan,

Thanks a lot. You just saved me a $100.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by galileo2000
Stefan,

Thanks a lot. You just saved me a $100.
The MyHD card rarely causes me trouble with my XP system.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
The MyHD - finally with the NEW NEW NEW 1.62.2 drivers has cured teh Hyterthreading/intel/good quality system component lockups!!

Whoever was to blame they have broken teh DVHS support however it now records and plays back flawlessly. The myHD100 tuner is quite good compared to a a few STB's I have tried.

My hope is for the FusionIII to be perfect. Suppsoedly that will tune QAM.

Thanks to cliff watson, however, the MyhD card actually works now in people with non-crappy systems :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.