AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Bang and Olufsen store, tested the Beosound 8 (1000$) and it sounded fantastic, I also tested the Harman Kardon MS100 (600$), Bowers & Wilkins zeppelin(600$), Bose SoundDock 10 (550$) and Beatbox Beats by Dr Dre (500$)


I must say the one I liked the most was the Bang and Olufsen, the sound was very clear and bass was excellent, but before I invest that much money into speakers I thought I should look around a bit more before I go for them


I found these on amazon Bowers & Wilkins MM-1(500$) and Focal XS Satellite(600$) Speakers but I can't test any of these because I couldn't find them locally (I don't live in the US)


avoid personal hate please, I noticed people hating on bose and bang and olufsen but I can't really see them justifying it..


I am willing to pay up to a 1000$ for quality, can anyone recommend me one of those or a custom setup?


I will use it for movies and music mostly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,454 Posts
Get a Pioneer VSX-1120 a/v receiver with full iPod interface and control as the central part of a system (also adds networking and internet radio). Add speakers that fit your room (towers - bookshelfs - etc). For iPod music all you need is a stereo pair of speakers and possibly a powered subwoofer.


For movies, do you want a full surround speaker system ?


It is preferable that the iPod just be an additional source on a good a/v system, rather than a system dedicated only to an iPod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/19597175


Get a Pioneer VSX-1120 a/v receiver with full iPod interface and control as the central part of a system (also adds networking and internet radio). Add speakers that fit your room (towers - bookshelfs - etc). For iPod music all you need is a stereo pair of speakers and possibly a powered subwoofer.


For movies, do you want a full surround speaker system ?


It is preferable that the iPod just be an additional source on a good a/v system, rather than a system dedicated only to an iPod.

Thanks for your reply, I would like them be bookshelf speakers since they will be sitting on my desk. 2 speakers and a subwoofer sounds enough

I will be connecting these to my PC

the a/v receiver looks huge and I don't have enough space for a full surround system

can you recommend speakers that would sound better than the B&O beosound 8, I can do without the ipod dock if I can get better sounding speakers without it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,122 Posts
Would you consider just regular powered speakers with your iPod/PC connected to them via the Audio out?


Just buy an iPod dock, and very high quality studio monitors. The one I have in mind is the Focal CMS40 (about $800+ USD) or CMS50 ($1200). These are professional studio monitors that designed for accuracy, but also marketed for the consumer to use as PC or iPod speakers. Because they are designed for accuracy, they have a set of controls that allow you to find tune the frequency response to your desk or shelf placement (trim controls, adjustable stands, etc).


They sell the CMS50 on the online Apple store in the US and Canada, so you can check if they have it where you live.


I am using the Dynaudio MC15, which is are $1300 a pair, but I would recommend the Focals as they are actually cheaper and in some ways superior in sound quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/19597712


Would you consider just regular powered speakers with your iPod/PC connected to them via the Audio out?


Just buy an iPod dock, and very high quality studio monitors. The one I have in mind is the Focal CMS40 (about $800+ USD) or CMS50 ($1200). These are professional studio monitors that designed for accuracy, but also marketed for the consumer to use as PC or iPod speakers. They sell the CMS50 on the Apple store in the US and Canada, so you can check if they have it where you live.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea

do these sound good though? they don't look like they are worth that much money, then again I don't know much about speakers and audio

should I get a subwoofer as well? amplifier? sound card etc


thanks for the help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
If you are docking your iPod into your computer and that computer has a subwoofer-out then you could go with powered studio monitors and a nice little subwoofer. I would try to audition Audioengine's A5 and Behringer's B2030A (some have issues with the B2030A's amps' reliability) and see which you like. Add a Hsu Research STF-1 or STF-2 and you have good sounds with change left in your pocket.


I think a better solution is a small receiver with iPod dock, a pair of EMP E41 speakers, and a small subwoofer like the STF-1 or STF-2. The E41s are phenomenal but need to crossover to the sub at 100hz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_storm /forum/post/19597767


That doesn't sound like a bad idea

do these sound good though? they don't look like they are worth that much money, then again I don't know much about speakers and audio

should I get a subwoofer as well? amplifier? sound card etc


thanks for the help

yes, they sound *excellent*, these are entry level models of some of the same speakers that you will find used by music, movie and tv professionals and studios to gauge the quality of the recordings. Again, these are professional speakers that are designed for people who need to hear the quality of their recordings. Their website


The cabinets are aluminum for durability and solidity and the speaker each use two amps per cabinet for low distortion and high output. They don't look pretty but they are designed to be high quality products used to get the job done and withstand the abuse that pro products are subjected to.


I would recommend a sub with the smaller CMS40 one but you may be happy with the sound without a sub for the larger CMS50.


As for a sound card, you don't strictly need a separate sound card, but it is recommended because often, the output jack of your built in sound card will have hissy noise and interference noise. You don't need an amp because these are active (self powered) speakers which have amps built in. You plug in your iPod and you get sound.


There are other pro studio monitors that you could consider as well. Focal is a well known high-end brand among the pro products, there are others that are more affordable that I'm sure others will recommend.


If you just want a decent sounding, non-professional speaker, the Audioengine A5 + its matching A8 sub makes for a good general use speaker system, They sound good, and are much more affordable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/19599024


yes, they sound *excellent*, these are entry level models of some of the same speakers that you will find used by music, movie and tv professionals and studios to gauge the quality of the recordings. Again, these are professional speakers that are designed for people who need to hear the quality of their recordings. Their website


The cabinets are aluminum for durability and solidity and the speaker each use two amps per cabinet for low distortion and high output. They don't look pretty but they are designed to be high quality products used to get the job done and withstand the abuse that pro products are subjected to.


I would recommend a sub with the smaller CMS40 one but you may be happy with the sound without a sub for the larger CMS50.


As for a sound card, you don't strictly need a separate sound card, but it is recommended because often, the output jack of your built in sound card will have hissy noise and interference noise. You don't need an amp because these are active (self powered) speakers which have amps built in. You plug in your iPod and you get sound.


There are other pro studio monitors that you could consider as well. Focal is a well known high-end brand among the pro products, there are others that are more affordable that I'm sure others will recommend.


If you just want a decent sounding, non-professional speaker, the Audioengine A5 + its matching A8 sub makes for a good general use speaker system, They sound good, and are much more affordable.

I heard that professional monitors sound bad on normal music since they are meant to show everything even the bad stuff, is that true?

I would like something for music and movies to enjoy not to make and adjust


also how would these stack up to bang and olufsen 75w speakers in beosound 8
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_storm /forum/post/19601992


I heard that professional monitors sound bad on normal music since they are meant to show everything even the bad stuff, is that true?

I would like something for music and movies to enjoy not to make and adjust


also how would these stack up to bang and olufsen 75w speakers in beosound 8

Focal designed these monitors to work well for consumer market as well as pro use, so they will work well as general music speakers as well.


I think these will be much better than the beosound


Did you consider the Audioengine I mentioned? Those are consumer oriented but they sound pretty good for their price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/19602887


Focal designed these monitors to work well for consumer market as well as pro use, so they will work well as general music speakers as well.


I think these will be much better than the beosound


Did you consider the Audioengine I mentioned? Those are consumer oriented but they sound pretty good for their price.

Audioengine A5 + S8 would cost me 700$ which is a reasonable price, would you say these would sound better than the B&O? that's the one I mostly liked and I can't really audition these my self and to be honest I never heard of Audioengine before


Any idea where to buy them from in Canada, I will have my brother get them for me since shipping to Dubai costs much more than the price
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,122 Posts
yes, if you have to buy them blind, I don't necessary want to talk you out of the Beosound.


1) everybody has different preferences when it comes to sound. For instance, I really dislike speakers that have a "boosted" bass to make up for their small size. Almost every consumer system (every iPod dock that I've ever heard and most consumer grade small speakers) has a boost somewhere in their sound to make them sound "bigger than they are". You might like this boost. I personally prefer speakers that are truthful to the original sound, they don't add anything or subtract anything that isn't there. Studio Monitors are perfect for that because they wouldn't be used by pros if they changed the sound you are supposed to hear.


2) I think the Audioengine would sound better, because 1) they are much larger speakers that are were designed to be better than most of the mass market stuff "docks" or "computer speakers" that you will find in your electronics superstore. 2) they use quality parts for best sound, a solid stiff cabinet that doesn't vibrate and cause distortions, cloth dome tweeter for smooth highs, and a built-in amp that is powerful enough to fill a small room without distorting 3) they are well liked by many people (do a search and you'll find lots of positive comments). You will find lots of reviews on the web (all positive). I have never heard anybody say they weren't thrilled with them. I prefer my $1300 Dynaudio over the Audioengine A5, but if I were trying to build the best under $700 system I could, they would be on my shortlist.


as for retailers in Canada, there are a couple that I know.
http://www.mostlydigital.ca/search/p...r/audio_engine
www.themacgroup.ca


In the end, taking my advice blindly and buying speakers is always going to be risky because I don't really know what you consider to be "good sounding". I can only recommend what I like better. An iPod dock is always going to be very limited in sound quality because they have to be designed to be portable, and look cool.


Because you are bringing them all the way to Dubai, I suggest you take a chance on these rather than the Focals (which are so much more expensive for a gain you might not appreciate or prefer)


I would actually suggest you do the following. You can buy the A5 by themselves for $400 (no sub), and you might actually be pretty happy with them as is. If you find you might want some more bass, you could add the sub later. I know lots of people who have these and they didn't add the sub.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top