AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent thread got me thinking that the next gen 360/PS3 consoles aren't really starting a new revolution in how a game is played. As I stated, they feel more like the PS2/Xbox on steriods, but not new. But I'm kind of curious what change in gameplay has affected you the most.

A few for me:

turn-based rpg battles to real-time rpg battles

linear, structured storyline to open-ended style (GTA, my tops)

text dialogue to full, voice acting

top-down or side-scrolling graphics to 3D roaming

cartoon-like animation to real life-like graphics

For PC, I used to play those games (early 80's?) where you had to type in the action (ie 'open door' 'examine under table' 'pull down lever') and prayed for the day that would end. Once the actionable RPGs came, that was a true revolution.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Free-roaming games. I still recall the amazement I had to playing Mario64. Being able to see a castle in the distance and actually go to it, get there, and look back at where I'd come from.

Being free of the old school tunnel/wall style of gaming was the biggest leap for me. I was so used to Doom, Castle Wolf, Wizardy, etc., and to be free of that was absolutely incredible.

-JR

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Yep... Mario 64 was a big leap technology and gameplay wise.

The first Zelda was also a massive jump in gameplay.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Id say a big leap was going from Atari to I beleive Nintendo..

Chris

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
I would have to agree on the Mario 64 one.

For online PC games it would have to be something like RPG free roaming games where you have hundreds of people online.

Now don't eyeroll me but I feel that Xbox live was a nice leap forward for console online play. Not that we didn't have that on Pc's but it seemed to organize things better and bring a community to online gaming where it never was really before.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris2o0o
Id say a big leap was going from Atari to I beleive Nintendo..

Chris
There really was no great leap though here if you had the consoles in between like Atari 7200, intellivision, Coleco vision.

Going old school, Colecovision was a leap forward in that it brought exact gameplay from the arcades. Up to that point arcade games were still ahead of consoles.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I agree with you on that Dean - coming from using xbox live to now mostly playing PC games, I can see the benefits of the system.

As far as gameplay goes, I think the free-roaming, film-like nature of the GTA series is overwhelming.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
At first I was going to say Mario 64. Best 3D platformer to date and the first... but Smurf Adventure launched the side scrolling run and jump game that was the standard for a VERY long time. So Smurf is my vote.

Nobody, not even Nintendo could save the 3D platformer... it degenerated into an action genre (Like we needed another) when nobody could catch lightening in the bottle again.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothru22
I agree wholeheartedly but eyeroll anyway. :rolleyes:
I knew that was coming and I had a hunch it would be an English major.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
I knew that was coming and I had a hunch it would be an English major.
Thats a former english major.

It is hard to argue with the advancements Live made to gaming. People actually pay for content after the game is paid for... thats a new revenue stream for consoles. How much bigger does it get than that?

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine
I agree with you on that Dean - coming from using xbox live to now mostly playing PC games, I can see the benefits of the system.

As far as gameplay goes, I think the free-roaming, film-like nature of the GTA series is overwhelming.
I agree, GTA offered a lot of future possibilitys.

Would'nt it be cool if that game was online, and everybody would be doing different things all over the map, either making thier own gang or recking havock or just trying to do a job.

THe possiblitys are endless!

Imagine they made a GTA online game, now that would be the best game ever, period!!!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I think the next leap would be one where my wife would begin enjoy the games..

An adventure game that would follow the lines of a decent novel and/or movie, but obviously interactive. No monsters, gremlins or such, just sort of Agatha Christie like. Something she can pickup and intuitively play.. involves puzzle solving (ala Myst) but a decent, believable storyline and characters. I think it's a huge market that a game has yet to tap into.

Alan Wake has this theme, but hints of "monsters" and the standard killing sprees, once darkness falls in the game.

With the graphical enhancements that we’ll begin to experience this round should open up new genres, like the aforementioned.

Jasman

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasman
An adventure game that would follow the lines of a decent novel and/or movie, but obviously interactive. No monsters, gremlins or such, just sort of Agatha Christie like. Something she can pickup and intuitively play.. involves puzzle solving (ala Myst) but a decent, believable storyline and characters.

Jasman
Have her look into Siberia 1 and 2.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
By far the greatest thing in gaming are the Sandbox games....a-la GTA.

Want to play a mission? Fine. Want to drive a cab for awhile? Fine. Want to just practice jumps or streetracing for cash or going on rampages? Fine.

Want to just drive around and collect money from your safe-houses while you listen to the best soundtrack ever (has been and ever will be) put inside a video game? Boom.

Vice City did it best. GTA3 formed the mold, Vice City perfected it, and San Andreas ruined it by throwing too much garbage into the game and bogging it all down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.