AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got the sony 46KDL2010...and with the new tv I think i've finally realized how cool htpc's can be (the old tv never looked good). My problem is now that OTA shows i've recorded (ts / mpeg2) are freakin' HUGE (9gig+ for an hour). I want to make them mpeg4...but i'm having a hard time finding a good solution. Too bad i already bought quicktime's mpeg2 plugin before i realized it didn't support ac3...


I guess the only thing i *have* to have is AC3 support. But a program that supported a batch shell commands would be pretty handy.


Any suggestions / comments about what any of you use would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohns4 /forum/post/0


So I recently got the sony 46KDL2010...and with the new tv I think i've finally realized how cool htpc's can be (the old tv never looked good). My problem is now that OTA shows i've recorded (ts / mpeg2) are freakin' HUGE (9gig+ for an hour). I want to make them mpeg4...but i'm having a hard time finding a good solution. Too bad i already bought quicktime's mpeg2 plugin before i realized it didn't support ac3...


I guess the only thing i *have* to have is AC3 support. But a program that supported a batch shell commands would be pretty handy.


Any suggestions / comments about what any of you use would be appreciated.

I tried nero but there avc needs more work. Too slow with 2 pass, too crappy with one pass.


Currently happy using MeGUI abr one pass. It's just a gui using x264. You'll need dgindex and avisynth and then something to mux the whole thing together but it's the best setup i've found so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohns4 /forum/post/0


So I recently got the sony 46KDL2010...and with the new tv I think i've finally realized how cool htpc's can be (the old tv never looked good). My problem is now that OTA shows i've recorded (ts / mpeg2) are freakin' HUGE (9gig+ for an hour). I want to make them mpeg4...but i'm having a hard time finding a good solution. Too bad i already bought quicktime's mpeg2 plugin before i realized it didn't support ac3...


I guess the only thing i *have* to have is AC3 support. But a program that supported a batch shell commands would be pretty handy.


Any suggestions / comments about what any of you use would be appreciated.

Maybe it is just me, but the MPEG2s that I've converted to XVID MPEG4 do not look as good as the original to me. You could go with DL DVDR and record 2 hours on two discs (almost they support 8.5GBs).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondoman /forum/post/0


Maybe it is just me, but the MPEG2s that I've converted to XVID MPEG4 do not look as good as the original to me.

It's not just you - any re-encoding will lower quality, it's inevitable. You can compensate for this sometimes by performing necessary processing though, eg denoising or sharpening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster /forum/post/0


It's not just you - any re-encoding will lower quality, it's inevitable. You can compensate for this sometimes by performing necessary processing though, eg denoising or sharpening.

It's been my experience that xvid isn't well suited for high resolution encoded content. The xvid codec is the ideal solution for quick encoding of DVD, SD/HD television to a small, low resolution encode with "acceptable" quality.


If you have a high-quality source (HD sourced) and wish to preserve 99.99% of the original quality the x264 encoder is the best choice from my experience. The major issue with x264 is that even on an high-end machine the encoding takes a very long time/resources. You'll need modern (C2D) CPU to decode 1080p x264 smoothly, 720p is much easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts

Quote:
I tried nero but there avc needs more work. Too slow with 2 pass, too crappy with one pass.


Currently happy using MeGUI abr one pass. It's just a gui using x264. You'll need dgindex and avisynth and then something to mux the whole thing together but it's the best setup i've found so far.

I agree about Nero,


What settings work best for fairly quick encode but decent quality for MeGUI/x264?


My content is typically 1080i, but I would downres to 720p, 720p and DVD.


Why do most not like Avivo Video Converter? I know on Doom9, they cut it down, but I think the quality looks pretty good, especially considering the amount of time it takes. I just wish I had a way to downrez 1080i to 720p with it. Seems like the technology being used there certainly had promise, but it seems to have been abandoned by ATI?
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top