AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of researching a 42" plasma. I am torn between the 2 Panasonic models, and the Pioneer model. I watch DirecTV (usually just SD)most of the time and an occasional DVD. I have a few questions for the experts.

1) If I wait for the new Panasonic TH-42PA20U to arrive in July, will I need to purchase an HDTV tuner? Even to recieve DirecTV broadcasts? Is this model ED like the TH-42PWD5UY or HD like the TH-42PHD5UY? I am not super concerned about the DHCP issue, though.

2) Are the Panasonics the only plasma models that come without speakers. Since this model will go in my bedroom, I don't have an elaborate audio setup (but I guess I could be persuaded to get one :) )

3) Are there any other highly recommended 42" models? I am looking to spend in the $4000-$6000 range.

Thanks guys & gals. Any other tips are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
#1) The TH-42PA20U is an ED model with 850x480 resolution (per the Panasonic press release). It looks like it is the TH-42PWD5UY upgraded with TV tuner, integrated speakers, and more input jacks, including DVI. You will not need an HD tuner to receive DirecTV signals.

#2) Most plasmas do not come with speakers, though many have internal amps to power optional speakers that can plug into a jack of the monitor.

#3) For MRSP of $4,999, the Fujitsu P42VHA20US has a remarkable picture -- better than the Panny 42" EDs IMHO. They are expensive though, and if you buy online Fujitsu will not honor the warranty. P.S. FOr more discussion on this issue see today's thread titled Fujitsu or Panasonic? Here is a link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=252134

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.