AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand of receiver has the best sound without running the room correction (YPAO, Audessey, MCACC etc.)?

I have a very hard time finding the right receiver: The sound is either too dark (no room correction) or too bright (room correction)

I've had Denon, Yamaha and Pioneer in the last year or so

I don't want to mess around wtih EQ settings manually, I just want to turn the receiver on and watch the movie

What do you think?

Thanks

Jakob

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
If the sound is "either too dark (no room correction) or too bright (room correction)" then the problem can't be fixed without applying room correction or acoustic treatments. You either learn how to perform acoustic measurements and do it manually or you buy an AVR with room correction that lets you set a custom target curve.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Running flat within their power limitations, receivers will sound nearly identical. Speakers and your room have a far larger impact on what you hear.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51  /t/1522181/the-best-receiver-without-room-correction#post_24471786

What brand of receiver has the best sound without running the room correction (YPAO, Audessey, MCACC etc.)?

Any that has a good parametric equalizer with 5 bands or more or less desirably an graphic equalizer with 6 bands or more. Then you get the right test equipment and learn how to adjust it.
Quote:
I have a very hard time finding the right receiver: The sound is either too dark (no room correction) or too bright (room correction)

The problem is probably that you have become accustomed to having an audio system that is a little bass heavy, and your listening room is a bit boomy.
Quote:

If everybody is wrong, then maybe you're not exactly right! ;-)
Quote:
I don't want to mess around wtih EQ settings manually, I just want to turn the receiver on and watch the movie

Try putting a little clockwise twist on the subwoofer's volume control after you run the system optimization facility.

I suspect your boomy room may have something to do with this.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51  /t/1522181/the-best-receiver-without-room-correction#post_24471955

I have acoustic tiles on the rear wall

Acoustic tiles lack the thickness of absorptive material that is required to do anything about bass. One way to "soup them up" is to put thick absorbing material on top of them inside the ceiling or behind them on the wall.

The sound absorption of ceiling tiles all by themselves falls off sharply below 500 Hz, which is up in the lower midrange, not bass.

To fix this, we're talking about maybe 4" of high density glass insulation or mineral wool. Not fluffy pink wall insulation, but purpose made board-like materials. Simply open the ceiling or wall and place this additional material above or behind the ceiling tiles.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51  /t/1522181/the-best-receiver-without-room-correction#post_24471786

What do you think?

Thanks

Jakob

The only thing that differentiates receivers, sound wise, is the room correction software. If you don't plan to use it, get the least expensive receiver with the features you want.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52  /t/1522181/the-best-receiver-without-room-correction#post_24472180

You can try one of the NAD's. The T748v2 has a version of Audyssey that you don't have to use if you don't like it. There's also a higher model with a different version of Audyssey, again like with all AVR's you don't have use any form of room eq that comes with every one of them. You're really open to purchase any AVR you want. Eq them and if you don't like it turn eq off.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_745T748V2/NAD-T-748V2.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_745T758/NAD-T-758.html

Would either of these be worth an upgrade over my Denon 2313?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Only way to find out is to try one. That NAD T758 is an awesome AVR. MDC in it is nice although it seems what card you want to change out can be expensive. Real claimed AC power rating gives them an edge over some AVR's but not all. Purchase one and try it out in your room is the only real way to find out. Don't notice a difference over your current AVR worth the cost send it back. I think you'll like the difference, but I am biased as I don't like Denon's. Tried em in my room and could not get the sound I liked from different models. Never tried XT32 and maybe it was my fault but did not like them. Always preferred Yamaha's until I set up my H/K 7550HD and then have been hooked on it. NAD's also sound very good to me. If they play music very good then movies are easy. H/K's and NAD's domusic very well to me. JMHO. Others will say different and that's ok too.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767  /t/1522181/the-best-receiver-without-room-correction#post_24472467

^

An AVR with Audyssey XT32 would be an upgrade.

OP wants an AVR without room EQ. Yes XT32 may be an upgrade but thats not what he wants. Not everyone is into room correction even though it may help. How many here and elsewhere have purchase high dollar AVR's with the best room EQ and then turn it off to listen to music or use them in Pure Direct. If your are buying an AVR for its EQ program I feel its the wrong reason.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52  /t/1522181/the-best-receiver-without-room-correction#post_24472499

If your are buying an AVR for its EQ program I feel its the wrong reason.

I disagree. Room EQ is the ONLY reason to buy a certain AVR/processor. There's no night and day difference in sound quality between AVRs other than room correction. Sound quality is in the speaker/room interface not in electronics anymore. Digital room correction can help (not saying all solutions do).

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

Quote:
I disagree. Room EQ is the ONLY reason to buy a certain AVR/processor.

And I disagree. I bought a Yamaha. It doesn't have the best EQ system, but I don't care. Onkyos have better REQ system, but have not as good sound quality and relibability.

Also you may only want to EQ sub channel, or leave it off off for the 5.0 speakers and just EQ the sub.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522181/the-best-receiver-without-room-correction#post_24472580

Quote:
I disagree. Room EQ is the ONLY reason to buy a certain AVR/processor.

And I disagree. I bought a Yamaha. It doesn't have the best EQ system, but I don't care. Onkyos have better REQ system, but have not as good sound quality and relibability.

Based on what?

·
Registered
15,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522181/the-best-receiver-without-room-correction#post_24472580

Also you may only want to EQ sub channel, or leave it off off for the 5.0 speakers and just EQ the sub.

What is "better" REQ? Onkyo offers AVRs with at least 3 different REQ implementations. And if the REQ is "better", how can they sound "worse"?

How do you measure reliability? You seem to have data nobody else has.

How did you come to the conclusion that one brand sounds better than another brand? Last time I've measured I couldn't find any significant difference between Onkyo, Denon or Emotiva. Do you believe there's a magic property of an AVR that can't be measured?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Onkyo HDMI problems? Over heating?

Yamaha's are bullet proof, good sounding, reliable av amplifiers. I'd choose HK, NAD, Yamaha, Arcam over Sony, Pioneer, Onkyo. Only had one Denon unit, seemed a bit thin sounding.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522181/the-best-receiver-without-room-correction#post_24472659

Onkyo HDMI problems? Over heating?

Yamaha's are bullet proof, good sounding, reliable av amplifiers. I'd choose HK, NAD, Yamaha, Arcam over Sony, Pioneer, Onkyo. Only had one Denon unit, seemed a bit thin sounding.

I don't bite. Arny, you have more time on your hands than me

1 - 20 of 35 Posts