AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of the popularity of the recent thread concerning the impending name change of "Enterprise" to "Star Trek: Enterprise", I thought I'd do a little poll.

What is/was the best Sci-Fi series you've ever seen?

I know there are a lot of them that were really good (and a lot that were really bad) over the years. Space 1999 and Battlestar Galactica come to mind. I used to think back and say 'wow! those were really great shows!' then they'd come on sci-fi in re-runs and I'd say 'damn! how did I ever think this was watchable!'.

Zimbabwe should be considered the same as "other" in this case. If your vote is Zimbabwe, please be kind enough to elaborate.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way... I would have said ST:TOS if Farscape hadn't come along and blown me away...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Close call between STTNG and SG-1. STTNG just edged out SG-1 for my vote, but I would have to agree the B5 would have made the decision tougher.

·
Registered
412 Posts
B5 was definitely a missing entry on this poll. The B5 following is easily as fanatical as Star Trek was before it became "hip", and yes, the Prisoner was GREAT! After years of hearing the intro on the "Piece of Mind" album, I recently got to see the whole series. Thanks to Replay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No question but that your poll is meaningless without Babylon 5 among the shows. All else pales by comparison, especially to B5 season 3. Sure, there were individual episode stinkers, but the sheer scope and accomplishment of storytelling makes other shows (especially the Trek series) appear shallow. Don't get me wrong, the Trek series, in particular TNG and DS9, had great concepts. But the producers took few chances with the franchise and left us with "safe" series, but not always compelling storytelling.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
SG-1! Started strong, got stronger!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'd say it's a toss-up between B5 and Farscape. I'd probably give B-5 the edge because of the tight story arcs and because they actually got a chance to work through to an ending.

I like the ST series in varying degrees, but I never thought they used the same degree of imagination or were willing to explore characters beyond a fairly narrow range.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really do have to apologize for the brain fart that caused me to forget B5. That was a great show. Started out kind of weak IMO, but got very good later on.

Unfortunately, the poll only allows 10 choices, and no matter what I put in there, something good will be left out.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TimSH
I really do have to apologize for the brain fart that caused me to forget B5. That was a great show. Started out kind of weak IMO, but got very good later on.

Unfortunately, the poll only allows 10 choices, and no matter what I put in there, something good will be left out.
Well, I'm sure that the absence of "Lost in Space" wouldn't have hurt many feelings.

And I hope I'm not alone in this, but the "Zimbabwe" crap got real old after only the first time. (No offense to toots and her sarcastic wit.)

There you go. Two more spots open for Firefly and Babylon5.

·
Registered
59 Posts
B5 and to a lesser extend Crusade!!!!

Oh and who can forget Dr.Who or Blake 7 or Red Dwarf....

But I guess were not counting British shows.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Without B5 in the list, it's not a true poll.

In it's day Doctor Who ruled and so did Blakes 7.

I rate my shows not only on the original viewing, but their repeat value.

B5 - Watched B5 (the whole 5 years + the movies) at least 6 times and I'm ready to do it again.

SG-1 - I watch most of the repeats and new shows as they come out.

ST: TNG - Love it and watch it all the time

ST: TOS - Used to watch all the repeats until TNG came out. Now too many other shows to watch.

ST: Voy - Enjoyed it while it was on. Haven't wanted to watch repeats yet.

ST: DSN - Enjoyed it later in the series. Haven't wanted to watch repeats yet.

Farscape: Enjoyed it early on. Stopped watching it when it got too silly.

ST: Enterprise: It's started slow and still haven't decided if it getting better yet. But I'm i die hard ST fan and will keep watching if only to see more back massage scenes.

Lost in Space: At the time there wasn't anything better to watch. Also I was younger and didn't know better.

Planet of the Apes: Always love post-Apocalyptic movies/series, but the movies where much better.

Zimbabwe!: I guess I'll have to check this one out. I must have been asleep or never realized it was Sci-Fi.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's gotta be B5.

The rest aren't bad (and I watched most), but there's never been (and probably never will be again) a show with the type of continuous and interesting story arc of B5.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Battlestar Galactica, Land of the Lost, Voyagers and Red Dwarf top my list for all-time best sci-fi.

So, Zimbabwe.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Doctor Who!

The Dreamer

·
Registered
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MightyMoose
Best SCI-FI series from around 1968 is the Prisoner staring, I think, Patrick Mcguen(sp?).
I am not a number ..........

Look out here comes the weather balloon.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.