All it takes is one lightning strike or power surge to permanently damage, if not destroy, your equipment. Be smart and protect all your gear with one of these excellent surge protectors.

Amazon Basics 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector

The Amazon Basics 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector features 12 outlets, 6 on each side, that will protect your gear from power surges and spikes. The power strip features a 4,320 joule rating, LED lights to indicate when your devices are protected and your wiring is properly grounded, sliding dust covers, and wide-spaced outlets for ease of use. The AmazonBasics 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector is also fireproofed. The AmazonBasics 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector can be bought with either an 8-foot or 10-foot cord.

“Great surge protector. Much better than any of the others that I have. It’s very durable with a long cord and a large number of ports. I will probably buy more of these in the future to replace other older surge protectors that I have,” said Amazon user Wesley .

Belkin 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector

The Belkin 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector features a flat plug for those hard-to-reach outlets, a 4,156 joule rating, and an alternative choice of either having seven or eight outlets evenly spaced out to house your equipment’s power sources. The Belkin 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector comes with an option of 6 foot, 8 foot, 10 foot, or 12 foot cables, depending on your circumstances.

“I bought a bunch of these in 2015 to use with various electronics throughout my house including expensive computers and tvs. Fast forward to last night, my house's underground power had a 'neutral drop' causing extreme amounts of electricity to come into my house. We had a number of appliances broken due to the surge that were plugged directly into wall sockets, but I am happy to say every device we had plugged into a Belkin power strip survived and is still functional,” said Amazon user Matthews Fanning about the strip.

APC SurgeArrest 11-Outlet Surge Protector

The APC 11-Outlet Surge Protector features either 8 or 11 outlets, as well as inputs for coaxial cables and a phone line/DSL splitter for data line protection. The APC 11-Outlet Surge Protector has a 3,020 joule rating, built-in dust covers for outlets, an 8 foot cable with a right-angle plug, and an indicator light to show you the status of the surge protector.

Amazon user Steve L. Richter says the saved his devices during a lightning strike. “I had purchased 7 of these, and approximately 2 years later had a massive surge from lightning and all seven protectors blew out. The devices sacrificed themselves, and were no longer operable, but there was ZERO damage to all my electronics. I contacted APC about replacing the surge protectors and they promptly replaced the blown devices.”"

Echogear Low Profile Surge Protector Power Strip with 8 Outlets

Get 3420 Joules of surge protection in this low profile surge protector power strip. Lots of space for big plugs and a slim design. Available with or without dual USB charging ports and also in a 12-outlet version that adds coaxial ports. This is a 5-star review item on Amazon that's also an Amazon's Choice selection.

"The unit looks and feels high quality and the spacing on the plugs is nice. The plug end isn’t an angled one that fits tight to the wall but it’s not a bad thing" says Amazon user Daryl.

Tripp Lite 10-Outlet Surge Protector

The Tripp Lite 10-Outlet Surge Protector comes with 10 outlets, 7 outlets, or 8 outlets with a DSL input. The power strip features a 2,880 joule rating, dust covers for unused outlets, and two LED bars to display power and protection status at a glance. With a right-angle 6-foot plug, the Tripp Lite 10-Outlet Surge Protector can be placed just about anywhere.

“I had a mix of various brands of surge protectors used throughout my house, all with similarly high Jules level in protection. Recently I experienced a severe power surge due to a fallen tree, all brands surge protectors did their work in protecting my equipments, however, most got fried and lost their protecting ability after the surge, they couldn't be reset into surge protectors, they are reduced to unprotected power strips; only one model stood undefeated,” said Amazon user Lausan .

Intermatic Smart Guard IG2240-IMSK

The Intermatic Smart Guard IG2240-IMSK will quite literally protect your entire house. The Intermatic Smart Guard IG2240-IMSK features a state-of-the-art thermally protected metal oxide varistor surge protection technology, replaceable modules, both type 1 and 2 surge protection for mounting at service entrance, utility meter or other branch panel locations, and tamper-proof IModule doors. This protector comes with a the IG2200-FMK flush mount kit.

“It was easily installed by my electrician and is now attached to the wall in my garage at the service panel. Now the entire house is protected to include my expensive AC (high efficiency Trane heat pump) as well as my Chevrolt Volt that is charged by a 240 volt charger in my garage. We've had a few thunderstorms since the electrician installed this, and no more fried electronics... Although a neighbor told me the last lighting storm here toasted his TV, we didn't have problems,” said Amazon user Luke .

FAQ
1. What is a Surge?

A power surge is a spike in the electrical current flowing through the wires of your house. They can damage common appliances, sensitive AV electronics and computer equipment.

2. What causes a surge?

A power surges stem from inside your home. Power surges are caused by many different factors, including severe weather, faulty or damaged electric wiring or the sudden turning on and off of a high power electrical device like an air conditioner or large electric motor.

3. What does a surge protector do?

Surge protector safeguards electronics from the harmful effects of power surges and voltage spikes. Surge protectors can absorb and dissipate the power of a surge so that connected equipment is shielded from the surge.

We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works here .