AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess the best way to watch Star Wars Eps. 4, 5, and 6 is on LD but I know jack about LD. Is LD's best video output s-video? What is the best way to watch it? Feeding a HTPC w/TV card and DScaler (or line doubler) with s-video? Are there any LD drives for PCs? :D PowerLD? WinLD? LOL! Also, I heard LDs are capable of DD 5.1. It that true and if so are the players expensive? I know I've seen deals on LD players on eBay but they are probably only stereo. How good is the quality of LD vs. DVD? Lots of digital artifacts? Anyone know the max. data rate of an LD? I probably should look this stuff up but was wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head. How does this relate to CRTs? Uh, "CRT" and "Star Wars" both have a 'T' in them. ;)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes best video output is s-video. NTSC LD's are 480P.

LD's can be encoded with 5.1 sound. The LD player must have a digital out or an AC-3 RF output. In the case of the RF output, your receiver needs an RF input (my Denon AVR-3200 does). Otherwise an RF demodulator is required to convert the RF signal to a digital bitstream.

I watch LD's via s-video input to HTPC capture card and then output via dscaler at 720P.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"Lots of digital artifacts?"

None, the video on LD is analog. So instead of digital artifacts you can get noise. The picture on LD is good, not quite to DVD standards but up there.

"I heard LDs are capable of DD 5.1. It that true and if so are the players expensive?"

You want a LD player that has an AC-3 RF output. You then need an AC-3 demodulator (which turns the signal into a regular digital signal for any DD decoder) or a receiver/processor with an AC-3 RF input. The better AC-3 demodulators (Lexicon LDD-1, B&K DT-1, Meridian, etc...) will auto switch between the normal digital output (PCM/DTS only) on LD and the AC-3 RF signal when the discs are encoded with one. Not essential to have this but it makes setup easier.

Also you want to look for a player that automatically flips sides for you. Otherwise you have to get up and flip the disc every hour (or 30 minutes on a CAV disc).

As for the best video output on LD it will depend upon the player.. either composite or S-video. If the comb filter in your TV (or video processor) is better then the one in the LD player the composite output is better on the LD player... otherwise the s-video is the way to go.

As for a recomendation for a very good player look for a used Pioneer LD-704. It has the AC-3 output, a digital out, dual sided play and digital memory so you can do frame by frame on CLV discs. It also has some video noise reduction abilities and so on.

As far as the Star Wars movies go their were many different releases of them on LD. The two best are probably the 'Definitive Collection' which is all three in their original form in a boxed set. Each side is CAV though so you *really* want a flipper machine for these and you still have to get up and swap discs midway in the movie. Then their was the Special Edition boxed set which was the re-released version with DD sound and so on.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Just a correction. Since the video on LD is stored in composite format, I don't think the resolution is 480p. Somewhere around 400 TVL.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Wireless is correct.

Also, do not expect to watch it on a huge screen or you will be disappointed.

This thread may be in the wrong forum :D

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wireless
Just a correction. Since the video on LD is stored in composite format, I don't think the resolution is 480p. Somewhere around 400 TVL.
Actually, all NTSC formats like DVD, VHS, and LD are 480i, not 480p - LaserDiscs are interlaced just like VHS or DVD, so the StarWars movies shot on 24-frame film and transferred to LaserDisc have 3:2 pulldown in them. The big difference is horizontal resolution, and yes, a good LD player would yield about 425 lines. I haven't done it, but LD should look about as good or better than anything else running through dscaler (short of a DVD player, of course).

·
Registered
9,689 Posts
Hey,

I just watched Empire Strikes Back on my Sony 1271 yesterday!

I have a LD player and borrowed the discs from a friend. My LD player has 2 S-Video outputs and 2 composite outputs for video so I hooked it up several ways. I ran S-Vid and Composite to the projector directly and the results were about the same. I also ran S-Vid and Composite into a capture card with Dscaler and the result was also about the same but no scan lines. The scan lines of the non-scaled pic looked too much like combing for the pic to be enjoyable.

It's not always true that you want to use the S-Video out of a LD player. The video on the LD is composite so the seperation of Luma and Chroma must be done at some point. Sometimes you are better letting the LD player do the processing and sometimes you are better letting your projector or in my case Dscaler do the processing. Some LD players have simple filters to seperate Luma and Chroma while televisions have advanced 3D comb filters that work better.

The version I watched was the THX version of the original (not the SE.) And I wasn't disappointed actually it was a great experience. The only Star Wars LD's with DD are the SE versions. Also DD is sometimes inferior to good linear PCM. It may be relevent to recall DD didn't exist when these movies were originally in the theaters. SW ANH was the first film with Dolby Surround and I remember it was a move forward from stereo. DD made it's debut with Batman Returns much later.

Using my LD's optical digital output I listened to the PCM Dolby Surround track which sounded great.

ok, maybe I've said enough huh?

-Brian

·
Registered
251 Posts
James Bond,

Well yeah, of course it sucked - it was probably a cinema vidcap (some bloke with a video camera sitting in a cinema)

- David Eddy

·
Registered
251 Posts
Addressing the original topic, for the ultimate experience Ep 4, 5, or 6 experience, you could:

- Find the SE LDs and play them in a HLD-series player

- Encode the video as MPEG-2 using a DVHS player or other device

- Upload the MPEG-2 to your PC and edit it to eliminate breaks

- Capture the 5.1 stream on your PC and edit it to match video

- Merge them using DVD authoring tools

- Burn a DVD

- Watch it

...or you could simply hire a small cinema and watch it there. The hassle factor (and cost) would be about the same. :) :)

- David Eddy

·
Registered
9,689 Posts
DjE,

Someone has made DVD of the SE's but that doesn't fit my definition of the best way to see these films as the SE's are altered version of the original works of "art" so to speak.

If it was the SE's I was interested in I would just wait for the eventual DVD's or buy the bootlegs if I was really desperate ( but I'm not). I think they are promised by at least 2006 and there's plenty of other good stuff to watch in the meantime.

The non-SE laserdiscs on the other hand are very exciting to me.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Mooneyass,

Those dvd's you bought actually look like they could be quality merchandise. You probably won't know until you actually get them and try them. Please let me know how well the picture looks when you get them. If the transfer is good I think I will buy the same thing. I am interested but don't want to get into LD just for this movie, quality probably wouldn't look good my 11' screen either. My email address is [email protected] . Thanks Bob.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's too bad that the THX remastered 35mm prints didn't fall into the wrong hands a few years ago and end up a DVD. :D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I've got the second release of SW episodes IV,V & VI on LD the THX versions, which are the ORIGINAL theatrical versions not the SE. I have only cracked ep IV, the others are still factory sealed...I just received my Quadscan Pro from AVS and tried my LD player (Pioneer CLD-D702) through it connected to my computer monitor at output resolution of 800X600. The picture is not to shabby at all and I will soon be connecting it to my NEC PG 9200 CRT projector to watch on "the big screen".... Also, there was no way in @*$#! that I was going to give up my DTS collection of over 50 laser discs....the sound is just way too sweet....LD CAN approach the quality of non anamorphic DVD's if you have a decent LD player and scalar combo..As far as the sound is concerned, LD's in DD/DTS were recorded at higher bit rates than DVD's so they sound great.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The Star Wars LD's will be the first that I try on the "Big Screen" followed by all of the Indiana Jones that I have on LD as well. :D That is this weekend. :)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Bradad, are you the same person that got banding from their quadscan when they used the composite input? Their quadscan also came from AVS, please let me know, I'm considering purchasing one also.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"are you the same person that got banding from their quadscan when they used the composite input? "

I was wondering about that too since I also purchased a QuadScan Pro from AVS but it hasn't arrived yet.

Bradad what software version is your QuadScan? Somebody said it had v2.55 but AVS said these were the latest version. From what I've found that is at least 2.8... maybe higher.

BTW, for anyone picking up a LD player for Star Wars you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of the THX 'Wow' disc. They are on e-bay from time to time.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&query=THX+WOW

The 'Wow' clip will quickly become your answer to those that question why you spend so much on your theater. ;)

I can't wait till I can watch it with the Quadscan through my 1271... which hasn't arrived yet either. :(

Shawn

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I bought these disks from another seller on ebay about one month ago. The dvds came from Malaysia. I honestly can not determine whether they are bootlegs or original disks. In all respects, they appear to be legitimate.

They have a copyright notice from 20th century fox, dts 5.1, dolby digital 5.1ex, 2.35 anamorphic, a thx processing indication, several subtitles that can be turned on/off, chapters selections, and theatrical trailers and/or commentaries. The cover artwork is a little chessey, but I don't know what the general quality of foreign dvd cover artwork is.

The dd 5.1 audio quality is very good (the dts audio appears to be recorded at a lower level than the dd 5.1 signal, which is unusual). The picture quality on my 9 foot wide screen appears at least as good as a ld version (processed throght a video processor to 960p). The picture is not as sharp/detailed as a current dvd, but one must remember that the movies are 25-30 years old, and video images have improved tremendously in that time.

All in all, I'm very happy with these dvds.

steve

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Regarding hacked copies please do not post any links to this site supporting the purchase or contact info where to get these.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.