AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stumbled into DDDhouse.com and scanned through the new BD titles.

And what did I find???

The Big Boss
http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_detai...ProductID=9959

Fists of Fury
http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_detai...ProductID=9960

I almost creamed in my pants!!!!

And since it´s released by Fortune Star, I have HIGH hopes that they have used the original negatives to the maximum, since their DVD remasters have been incredible

The info says Region A, but I wonder if it´s region free like most other region "A" titles in Hong Kong

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What´s this? No love for the Master?

Come on people, THIS is what I call REAL movies, and not the CGI fluff crap Hollywood is crapping out every week

Nothing can beat a roundhouse kick from Mr. Lee!

Especially in HD

Anyone out there who gotten hold of these early and can confirm if it´s regionlocked or not?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I'll be happy to add these to Enter the Dragon.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Reading around, fans are apprehensive because of the audio. Apparently, the DVDs suffered from obviously added foley work to achieve a faux multichannel mix. No original audio is listed. Further, I believe the Mandarin track is important for these two and, adding insult to injury, that's not even lossless.

Personally I'm not a huge fan, nor would I outright refuse to listen to remixed audio given no other option, but having heard many poorly redone mixes from FS and Celestial I fully understand the apprehension. Looks like we're all waiting for someone to take one for the team and find out!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I will be buying both of these, fer sure! Couldn't care less about the audio (a first for me), because I grew up with the horribly dubbed versions of these anyway. For me, it's all about seeing Bruce kick butt.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liersi /forum/post/16934557

Reading around, fans are apprehensive because of the audio. Apparently, the DVDs suffered from obviously added foley work to achieve a faux multichannel mix. No original audio is listed. Further, I believe the Mandarin track is important for these two and, adding insult to injury, that's not even lossless.

Both the Cantonese and Mandarin tracks were dubbed, HK studios didn't use synced voice recording until the 90's. Doesn't matter what track you pick, you'll get studio recorded voices that don't match the lips no matter what.

On the plus side, The Big Boss is finally uncut.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe /forum/post/16934803

About time!

As soon as it is confirmed the BD:s are region free, I´m buying both of them and will return with comments on the quality

About the sound mixes. I kinda miss the golden age of Hong Kong films during the 70-80:s and first half of the 90:s when they quickly (because of short post-production time and budget) and horribly dubbed all the dialogue afterwards and added those cheezy sound FX, as it had it´s own style and added to that amazing Kung Fu Grindhouse feel.

When the Hong Kong industry began to record the dialogue on stage and add GOOD and perfectly synced punch FX, it lost it´s magic

BUT....that´s just me I guess

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B /forum/post/16934581

I will be buying both of these, fer sure! Couldn't care less about the audio (a first for me), because I grew up with the horribly dubbed versions of these anyway. For me, it's all about seeing Bruce kick butt.

Same here. I love the crappy dubbing!

·
Registered
226 Posts

Quote:

Both the Cantonese and Mandarin tracks were dubbed, HK studios didn't use synced voice recording until the 90's. Doesn't matter what track you pick, you'll get studio recorded voices that don't match the lips no matter what.

I believe people are not complaining about the dubbed tracks. Sometimes they actually added some newer sound effects on top of old ones that sound crisp and clear which just doesn't sound correct with the old voice and sound effects sounding dull. The new sound effects just sound out of place.

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:

Hazel's right, I wasn't talking about dubbing. Added foley work for the remix (see hazel's post) is the main problem. Original audio meant original mono and original effects, irrespective of dialect. As for the Mandarin remark, I remember reading on more than one occasion that fans attach some importance to it, so I kept that vague. Maybe someone on there dubbing themselves or something, the thread on ADVDG will know more.

The big one for me is the obvious discrepancies in audio with many new mixes, new foley stands out like a sore thumb even to casual listeners like me. I can't imagine how it must be for people who are more familiar with the original audio.

·
Registered
463 Posts
These have been leaked onto some of the torrent sites and I can say for sure that Big Boss is not the uncut version. It's highly unlikely an uncut print suitable for hidef transfer even exists. By the looks of some of the grabs I've seen they're heavy on the DNR and the picture looks squished more than usual.

As far as soundtracks go, any version of The Big Boss without Peter Thomas' soundtrack ain't worth the plastic it's covered in.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have watched both BDs lately. Fist of Fury suffders from a bad source print and has a fuzzy, blurry picture with very few HD moments.

Big Boss on the other side looks very good with crisp picture. Grain structure seems quite intact. There are no signs of heavy DNR use. Maybe slight.

EDIT: Both are locked to region A.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Curse that region lock!

Oh well, guess I´ll wait for a european release.

As always with these old Hong Kong movies they will never be demo material, and probably will NEVER look any better than this

1 - 14 of 14 Posts