AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about other forum members, but I have heard enough about rainbows. When I was looking at this forum and others trying to decide what projector to buy everyone kept talking about rainbows. I almost didn't buy the X1 based on what I read. Thank God I didn't listen. I mean I literally hate LCD technology. The X1 was wonderful I fell in love from the first time she was fired up. Point at hand, rainbows do not bother me maybe I am lucky, maybe not. If I were to shake my head back and forth or up and down violently I can see them. Who in the hell watches tv like that????? Yes I have seen them but only once or twice. Other than that I have racked up some hours watching the X1 at my house, and a friends. I do not see rainbows constantly, I think people look for problems with rainbows. Rainbows are an exagerated problem propogated by people that have obsessive compulsive disorder. I am not saying they don't exist, I am just saying they are minimal to none. I have had more than a few people other than myself watch the proj. and no complaints whatsoever. I know some people will hate to admit what I am saying. If anyone reading this is on the fringe of an X1 or other DLP product all I can say is just give it a chance.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bthorn9435
I don't know about other forum members, but I have heard enough about rainbows.
Then why bring it up again? And why set forth comments that consist of uninformed opinion, factual inacurracies, and obnoxious statements that are designed to inflame? Give me a break!

P.S. Glad you're happy with your X-1. Spend more time watching it.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Thanks for making the decision for the rest of us. I'm glad rainbows don't bother you but don't for a minute think because they don't bother you they are not an issue. For many people they are a serious distraction. I have never seen the X1 but I did have a DLP RPTV and the rainbows were a major distraction. I didn't have to shake my head to see them. All I had to do was shift my eyes from one area of the screen to another. This occured when the action simply shifted from one area of the screen to another or by just looking away from the TV.

I'm happy rainbow don't bother you but for those looking at a DLP I strongly suggest you demo one or buy from a dealer with a good return policy.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Opinion is not uninformed. Factually correct. Ok so the OCD thing was a little out there. My point is I just believe its over emphasized. The reason I posted is so newbies thinking about the X1 will not be freaked out by all this rainbow crud.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gscott, I am not the only one. If 10 people viewed my x1, and 10 people weren't bothered by them or even noticed them thats good enough for me. No its not an AP poll but lets face facts, Nobody I know that has viewed the x1 has had any problems with rainbows.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize you did such a scientific study :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GScott
...I strongly suggest you demo one...
This is always good advice, regardless of the technology or model.

--Jerome

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sorry do you own a DLP projecter Gscott. I think a crt guy commenting on dlp is like a democrat voting for george bush. Just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Factually correct.
If you are saying that your following statement
Quote:
I am not saying they don't exist, I am just saying they are minimal to none.
is factually correct, then I would have to disagree. Now if you said that they have been minimal to none in your environment to you and your guests then that sounds like it is correct. Screens, wall colors, etc have a lot to do with how visible rainbows are, besides just who the viewers are and the projector. Your post makes it sound like you really don't understand these things. Taking your limited experience with the variables you are dealing with and extrapolating that to a general statement like this is not logical, IMO.

There will always be some people overplaying issues and others underplaying them. If the problem was a ceiling that was too short and so some people would bump their heads on it, some basketball players would claim it was a major problem for almost everybody while some 5' tall people might try to claim that they had to jump up and down in order to hit their head, so the ceilings aren't a problem and only people trying to cause a stir would claim that they were. Both groups would be out of touch with reality IMO.

--Darin

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jsaliga, I agree I am not saying not to demo. I would just like people to understand that "I think rainbows are only previlent with a small percentage of people" Have you seen The Fifth Element wm9 jsaliga.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"How big of a deal is this? Well, it is different for different people. For some who can see the rainbow effect, it is so distracting that it renders the picture literally unwatchable. Others report being able to see the rainbow artifacts on occasion, but find that they are not particularly annoying and do not inhibit the enjoyment of the viewing experience. Fortunately, the majority of the population either cannot detect the rainbow artifacts, or if they can they are not overly bothered by them. The fact is if everyone could see rainbows on DLP projectors the technology never would have survived to begin with, much less been embraced by so many as a great technology for home theater video systems. Nevertheless, it can be a serious problem for some viewers." Evan Powell Projectercentral.com

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Quote:
Gscott, I am not the only one. If 10 people viewed my x1, and 10 people weren't bothered by them or even noticed them thats good enough for me.
This cancer thing is overated too. I just checked with 10 people in my office and nobody has it. What a hype!
Quote:
Nobody I know that has viewed the x1 has had any problems with rainbows.
So what? There are many reports of rainbows on the X-1 on this forum. Are you completely discounting those? Should newbies ignore those and buy an X-1 without even considering the issue? I'm not saying that people shouldn't consider the X-1 for a projector. It sounds like many are very happy with it, and even many who see rainbows from time to time seem to be able to adjust to them. But to buy the X-1 and completely ignore the potential that one might be unhappy if rainbows appear on the basis of your suggestion that rainbows are basically a figment of the imagination would be a really foolish decision. Fortunately, I think we've now exposed the issue to the light of day so that no one will be fooled.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
All the rainbow noise scared me too. Thankfully my wife and I were able to demo the X1 and the LP70 (XGA DLP 2X projector with DVI output, but no component out). The picture quality from 2X away was about the same and the X1 was half the price. My wife who only really wanted a 27" TV said at that price, it would be crazy not to buy the X1. Just Do it. She never says that. That was when the projector was going for $1,300 and had just recently dropped from $1,500. I was the one who basically stalled and stalled and then the price hit $999 with a then expired rebate of $100 and a special one time deal of 10% off DLP machines at BestBuy brought the cost down to $800. I jumped so fast!

I have seen the Z1 (friend has one and I thought I would buy it too, but lamp life scared me, justifiably so.....) Great Picture, but definately screen door. X1 and DLP machines flat out just have less screen door (almost comparable to XGA LCD machines.) X1 is a great deal and I would jump on it before they get rid of the faraouda chip. Dealers hate the X1, because they can't make any money on it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys win. I have started a war here, and that was not my intentions.

"Thats just my opinion I could be wrong" Dennis Miller.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
What Jerome says applies to the X1 more than any. Because (unless it's been discontinued) the X1 is one of very few projectors which has a 10 day free loaner loaner program available to most everyone. At least in the US. So, unlike other projectors which you can't always demo before you purchase, you can know for certain if it's shortcomings are a deal killer for you. Actually

as far as I'm concerned it's only flaws are rainbow and panel resolution. Everything else about it's performance is equivalent to projectors costing several times as much. And how much importance each person places on one or both of these things will vary from individual to individual. In my case rainbow and resolution together were the two determining factors which led me to trade up to the HT1000. But that's what was best for me. And has no bearing on what others will want.

Bob

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
I'm sorry do you own a DLP projecter Gscott. I think a crt guy commenting on dlp is like a democrat voting for george bush. Just doesn't make sense.
He already said that he owned a DLP RPTV (P stands for projector) at one point. Are you going to tell us that a person's opinion shouldn't count if they had (or have) a problem with a technology and so they don't currently own any of it currently? That doesn't make much sense to me.

You are trying to advise people. Seems best if they get both sides of the story to me. Not just people who don't have any issues with a technology and so they've kept it.

--Darin

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nevermind, I just don't believe in the whole rainbow problem. And why is the X1 the most popular projector? I would think if rainbow was a problem it would not sell like it does. Maybe rainbow is more prevelant in people with bad vision. Maybe its a eye related problem. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Nevermind, I just don't believe in the whole rainbow problem.
Of course you don't, because you aren't affected by it.

Tell you what. If you don't already own it go rent yourself Minority Report on DVD and sit down and watch it on your X1.

--Jerome

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
And why is the X1 the most popular projector?
I would say it is because it has incredible price/performance for those who don't have any issues with rainbows and like DLP type images. I don't think anybody is claiming that even close to half the people have a problem with the X1, but it still seems like something that people should think about when making a buying decisions (along with a lot of other variables).

--Darin

1 - 20 of 168 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.