AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been very happy with the silent films released on blu so far, I have them all, but have never seen this one. Have any forum members seen this film before?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Black Pirate is good fun, like all the Doug Fairbanks films I've seen so far.

Fairly impressive production for the era, and a lot of ship based acrobatics by Fairbanks (as you would expect if you've seen his other work). If you like Captain Blood or The Sea Hawk, you should like BP.

I had this on DVD very early on, but sold it off. I'll be tempted to get it again on Bd, but I'll be waiting for a good sale on it. Both The General and Steamboat Bill Jr showed up in various Buy One Get Sales within a year.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
OK

I'm READY!!!

(Tuesday)

SD DVD got good reviews.

I'd luv for this too be along the lines of "KK (1933)" improvement from SD too HD.

(we should be sooooo lucky!)

How bout a "WoOz" jump in PQ (color especially)?

Don't see a "Fantasia" dramatic leap; maybe "Prince Valiant" presentation.

Just hope its in the "General/Steamboat" vein of left alone.

No added mastering artifacts.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm ordering. Given what I'm seeing, it's really a transfer to be lauded. I also like to support Kino and Criterion by purchasing their discs when I might opt not to otherwise. Top-notch treatment of classic films should be encouraged at every turn. I just like to remind companies that there's a market for films like PANDORA AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN, THE GENERAL, BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN, etc. I think I own every Kino release so far.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by win200 /forum/post/19644218

I also like to support Kino and Criterion by purchasing their discs when I might opt not to otherwise. Top-notch treatment of classic films should be encouraged at every turn. I just like to remind companies that there's a market for films like PANDORA AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN, THE GENERAL, BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN, etc. I think I own every Kino release so far.

KINO may be my BD: "Studio of the Yr"!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.