AVS Forum banner

6201 - 6220 of 7919 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes,
I too have replaced the black fabric with that of the whaley’s in every part of my room (even the 3 subwoofers pb4000) ....
Once the right direction is established, it is totally absent from reflections

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Just want to make sure, that's the Triple Black Velvet by SY Fabrics, is that right? Namely THIS?: https://syfabrics.com/products/plush-triple-velvet1

I am pretty sure that the WHALEY'S very slightly outperforms this material, but I am going to obtain a sample to triple check ;)

I note that that comparison was carried out 4 years ago, so it's possible something has changed since then.

I will post the results of my up-to-date comparison on here as and when I receive the sample

:wink:
Hi there.

The article we wrote on projectiondream is comparing whaley devore to Sy Triple Black Velvet.

And yes basically a tie for what black goes.

But I fully agree than devore is the better material since it's pretty good acoustic wise. :)

I also have fidelio there.

It all depends on the incoming light direction and from where you look at the material.

Sometimes the Fidelio is clearly blacker, sometimes TBV, sometimes devore.

I would say that fidelio is less dependent on direction than the 2 others.

But again: devore cheaper and acoustic wins. :)

We will update the article with fidelio, mvel22 (best price performance out there ;-) ) and a newcomer from Germany soon.

If you do a comparison yourself, make sure you vary the light angle and the viewing angle. :)

Picture from atop with direct light IS NOT how the material will be used.

They all work so well because of the tiny hairs and work best with light coming from the side when viewed from the side.
Good for us all that this is exactly how we use them in our black velvet theaters ;-)

Flo

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Here's a photo of the WHALEY'S versus the FIDELIO during the daytime in the sunshine and with all the room's lights turned on:

The WHALEY'S is circa half the price of the FIDELIO. It also has much better acoustical transparency (the FIDELIO is not really acoustically transparent at all) and is less prone to creasing and crushing than the FIDELIO

The fabric is 1.2 metres wide and the rolls are 20 - 25 metres long. You can purchase it by the metre or entire rolls.

Both materials are directional in that they have a slight sheen in one direction, but absolutely zero sheen in the other direction; so you want to be sure to position the material the right way around. Also I use a clothes brush after fitting the material, which makes the pile stand up on end and clears any lint or other particles that might be clinging to the surface of the material.

I use this material in all of my home theater designs / builds. I can't recommend it highly enough

You can purchase it online HERE: WHALEY'S BLACK VELVET DEVORE :)

Creasing and crushing? I'm not sure we are talking about the same Fidelio? The one on my screen frame is super black even in direct sunlight.

Though the local option to me is just about as black and it's quite thick pile too. I wouldn't buy Fidelio because of the price.

Hey Nigel can we swap samples? I'll send you a swatch of my 'double velvet', I would like to see some of that whaleys in person.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
So, being velvet directional in the way it reflects light, I suppose that if you’re facing the screen and all around it is black, then whatever light reflections happening they are going towards the screen; I mean, if you’d place yourself back against the screen you’d then be facing the most reflective orientation of the fabric. Is this completely wrong or not at all? If this is correct, then is it preferable to have those very faint reflections going towards the screen than compromising the feeling of total darkness around the screen? Or is there a 3rd option where the fabric is placed so that it reflects light downwards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
being of velvet, the level of reflection on the screen remains contained and this does not affect its performance.

On the contrary, from the seats, the fact of not having the slightest reflection for me is priceless!

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
I paid $6 yard for my Triple Black Velvet on Amazon, and I'm perfectly happy with it. Though I could use some more for the back of the ceiling eventually when I get time.

I also figured out a trick if anyone ever wrinkles it from storage, the old spray it with water and throw it in the dryer seemed to work fine, though I wouldn't dry it very long. I have only tried it with smaller pieces, but I have a good 20 foot section that needs de-wrinkled before I put it up on my wall, my room is like 70% covered with TBV at the moment, going for 90% coverage, with the other 10% being curtains on the back wall.

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,079 Posts
Creasing and crushing? I'm not sure we are talking about the same Fidelio? The one on my screen frame is super black even in direct sunlight.

Though the local option to me is just about as black and it's quite thick pile too. I wouldn't buy Fidelio because of the price.

Hey Nigel can we swap samples? I'll send you a swatch of my 'double velvet', I would like to see some of that whaleys in person.
I'm pretty sure it's the right FIDELIO... Namely THIS: https://www.voguefabricsstore.com/fidelio-velvet-black-1000.html which can be ordered online HERE: http://www.seymourav.com/store.asp

I'll mail you a sample of both the WHALEY'S and the FIDELIO that I have here and you can compare both with what you have there.

And yes I'd really like to check out your 'Double Velvet' material

Let exchange mailing addresses via email :)

Hi there.

The article we wrote on projectiondream is comparing whaley devore to Sy Triple Black Velvet.

And yes basically a tie for what black goes.

But I fully agree than devore is the better material since it's pretty good acoustic wise. :)

I also have fidelio there.

It all depends on the incoming light direction and from where you look at the material.

Sometimes the Fidelio is clearly blacker, sometimes TBV, sometimes devore.

I would say that fidelio is less dependent on direction than the 2 others.

But again: devore cheaper and acoustic wins. :)

We will update the article with fidelio, mvel22 (best price performance out there ;-) ) and a newcomer from Germany soon.

If you do a comparison yourself, make sure you vary the light angle and the viewing angle. :)

Picture from atop with direct light IS NOT how the material will be used.

They all work so well because of the tiny hairs and work best with light coming from the side when viewed from the side.
Good for us all that this is exactly how we use them in our black velvet theaters ;-)

Flo
Thanks for chiming in Flo :)

The test I use is essentially replicating the light source direction and viewing position that you would experience in a home theater.

In other words, all the velvet fabrics, which are all directional, are positioned with light sources eminating from in front, washing across the fabric, with you perceiving from the rear; which is essentially what will be happening with projected image, walls/ceiling, and viewing position.

And in this particular respect what I am finding is that the WHALEY'S is the blackest of all.

For obvious reasons this is what is most important, so how the fabrics perform with light coming from other angles etc. is nothing like as important. Unless you plan on sitting at the screen viewing backward into the room, or like to hang from the ceiling looking downwards etc. ;) :p

First of all I did so with the room lighting on, which was positioned at the front of the room, so eminating from the front, and then again but during the daytime with light eminating from the front wall (windows) and lighting that is positioned in front of the fabric samples. And now I have just repeated the exercise, this time with ONLY light emanating from the front wall (windows) and this only serves to further confirm that the WHALEY'S is superior:

The FIDELIO is very black and I agree that it is less directional than the others. It has much less of a sheen when viewed from 'the wrong direction'. And I also agree that with certain viewing angles and lighting positions it looks blacker. **HOWEVER** with respect to the performance that matters the most, namely with light source eminating from from in front, washing across the fabric, with you perceiving from the rear, with the fabrics positioned in the 'right direction' such that there is no sheen, the WHALEY'S is definitely blacker than the FIDELIO; as you can see in my photos.

Given the materials are both extremely black I found it difficult to properly evaluate differences using a small swatch of material so I purchased much larger samples such that I could evaluate the materials on a macro scale, which is how they will be used and viewed. Have you tried evaluating the materials comparing entire wall coverage as opposed to just using small swatches? Further to testing the materials here, I also took a 2.2 metre long x full roll width sample of the FIDELIO to a new home cinema/theater installation in London, wherein the entire room has been fabric walled using the WHALEY's, and we affixed the FIDELIO over the top of the WHALEY'S on one of the side walls adjacent to the projection screen and then projected a full field 100 IRE test pattern onto the projection screen. When viewed from the rear, including the seating positions, again the WHALEY's was/is blacker :)

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
endless uses for protostar

This weekend I found a great use for my extra protostar material. I've been building poster lightboxes for the area just outside the theater.

I tried painting the outer frame wood with the Rosco but the protostar looks much better and sticks to the wood with no problem.

The results are awesome :)

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Aren't the posters hurting the contrast though, even when the lights are off?

I mean I know it's probably not much, but aren't we like going crazy covering every little LED up...

I'm still trying to cover up my smoke alarm. I figure best not to remove the smoke alarm out of that room as I have some pretty questionable equipment :)
My biggest hack is the sub-conversion from passive to active using a $15 amp... I'm always worried that thing is going to catch on fire...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0PXEN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Aren't the posters hurting the contrast though, even when the lights are off?

I mean I know it's probably not much, but aren't we like going crazy covering every little LED up...
The posters are not inside the HT, I have a room outside the HT with different movie items.

i'm glad you like them, I think it turned out great.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
The posters are not inside the HT, I have a room outside the HT with different movie items.

i'm glad you like them, I think it turned out great.
I do like them, must be nice having a pre-theater room and a theater room.
I think you are the first person I've known to have a pre-theater room, haha.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
This weekend I found a great use for my extra protostar material. I've been building poster lightboxes for the area just outside the theater.

I tried painting the outer frame wood with the Rosco but the protostar looks much better and sticks to the wood with no problem.
Does the protostar stick well to MDF? I was thinking about doing this on my TV mounted poster wall and instead of using a fancy casing I could use MDF if the protostar sticks well.

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,079 Posts

The results are awesome :)

Looks great! :cool:

I've gone for a slightly different approach... The movie posters fit tightly into black frames without any gap and are illuminated by lighting that only lights up the posters :)

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,079 Posts
Arent you moving to the US though? Why are you building this in the UK if so? Or is this room in the US?
I started building this home theater at my home in the UK before I made the decision to move to the United States. Now I am finishing it as part of readying my house for sale :)

It is very nearly completed by the way

I will be building a new home theater in my house in the US after I purchase one

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,787 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Reactions: Dave Vaughn

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,079 Posts
This is with respect to replicating the light source direction and viewing position that you would experience in a home theater. In other words, all the velvet fabrics, which are all directional, are positioned with light sources eminating from in front, washing across the fabric, with you perceiving from the rear; which is essentially what will be happening with projected image, walls/ceiling, and viewing position:

In this regard the WHALEY'S very slightly outperforms the TRIPLE BLACK VELVET, the both of which outperform the FIDELIO

And here's the comparative performances when viewed head on perpendicular, with an additional light source positioned in front:

In this instance, the WHALEY'S very, very slightly outperforms the FIDELIO, the both of which outperform the TRIPLE BLACK VELVET.

ALL of these materials have a sheen, but it is directional, so is typically on visible when viewed from the 'wrong direction'. It is therefore very important to position the fabric in the 'right direction'. The Fidelio is the least prone with respect to a sheen.

Whilst the Triple Black Velvet performs almost as good as the Whaley's when used for side walls and ceilings, it does not perform as good as either the Whaley's or the Fidelio when viewed head on perpendicular, wherein you can see its sheen a bit as well, so personally I would not choose to use it for the front wall, screen frame, or screen masking; where I would use either the Whaley's for Fidelio for this instead. And in fact, due to fact it is least prone with respect to a sheen, and performs almost the same as the Whaley's when viewed perpendicularly head on, I consider the Fidelio the best material of choice for screen frames and non-acoustically transparent screen masking. The Whaley's has good acoustical transparency and is the only of the three fabrics to do so.

The Triple Black Velvet is excellent for side walls and ceilings and I really think that in the darkened environment of a home theater you won't be able to perceive any difference as compared with the Whaley's; but if used for the front wall, screen frame, or screen masking you will :)

Consequently, I rank the performance of these materials with respect to home theater usage as per follows:

SIDE WALLS AND CEILINGS:

1st = WHALEY'S
2nd = TRIPLE BLACK VELVET
3rd = FIDELIO

FRONT WALL:

1st = WHALEY'S
2nd = FIDELIO
3rd = TRIPLE BLACK VELVET

SCREEN FRAME AND NON-ACOUSTICALLY TRANSPARENT MASKING:

1st = FIDELIO
2nd = WHALEY'S
3rd = TRIPLE BLACK VELVET