AVS Forum banner

6381 - 6400 of 7919 Posts

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
The Fidelio really appears to be flocked velvet repackaged, but maybe they make it themselves. I have said this before and some people didn't think so, but the pictures look exactly like generic black flocked velvet. Flocked velvet shows lint more (well the stuff I tried) and it will not look as good on the wall aesthetically with the lights on. Flocked velvet is more durable and less susceptible to wrinkles, but that comes at the price of aesthetics and showing lint.
Nah man I dont think this is flocked velvet repackaged. Its got a really high and deep pile. Its on my screen frame and looks and feels really good. There is absolutely zero lint from it.

Here is a good pic showing it. Fidelio is my screen frame. Flocked velvet is the panel behind and to the right of it. And the Australian Double Velvet is on the ceiling.

Another, this is labeled triple velvet but its not, we call it double velvet here, its got a really high and deep pile also and its fairly thick.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Been steadily working on my "Man Cave" which has a full 11.2.4 Atmos setup with a BenQ HT3550 4K and a 110" Silver Ticket Fixed Frame Screen. Finally decided to paint my ceiling black and WHAT A FREAKING DIFFERENCE!

The difference is not subtle at all. Its DRAMATIC! :D Never new how much the white ceiling was not only a distraction but washed the image out. Now, with the lights on, the room feels much smaller but when the lights are off, everything seems bigger and the ceiling disappears. Better contrast as well despite the various issues I am having with my PJ. :mad:

Next task is to build bass traps in the corners with OC 703 and cover the front wall in velvet. Great information in this thread!

Thanks all!
Now paint the floor. lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
How many of you want to coat your room in this?

Reactions: jorgebetancourt

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,079 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Except you aren't 100% guaranteed to drop dead immediately after smoking your first cigarette...

:wink:
It would be exciting to have to sign a disclaimer and wear a radiation suit to enter ones home theater. It would likely be the very last "Home Theater of the Month" awarded from AVS Staff.

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,079 Posts
It would be exciting to have to sign a disclaimer and wear a radiation suit to enter ones home theater. It would likely be the very last "Home Theater of the Month" awarded from AVS Staff.
Sorry, to clarify I am not saying that Vantablack is toxic... One touch and it is ruined. So whilst all well and good for coating the insides of telescopes and the like, unfortunately it is not suitable for use with respect to exposed surfaces.

I know this because I actually contacted the manufacturer to inquire as to whether I could use it in home theater builds

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I (still) haven't fully finished my room treatment, but I had some visitors recently and they wanted to watch a film on my projector. I've got 3 metre deep Devore side curtains, a Devore cover for the area immediately below my screen (which is light oak). Also a lift up 'door' above the screen with Devore lining on the underneath. This door is only 30cm deep, but still helps with the initial off ceiling reflection: Further plan is a width of Devore that will clip to the door and cover approx 1.5 metre out across the ceiling, creating a Devore 'tunnel'.

Even as it stands my guests were impressed with the image quality and commented about how the curtains helped them focus on just the screen and blotting out the rest of the room. Seeing as non of them are AV fanatics, it was good to hear their views on the impact of the Devore.

I've seen some comments elsewhere that Devore is reflective and not as good as some more recent options available on eBay or similar, but I have no issues and can't 'see' the material even on very bright scenes. Interesting to see Arrow's testing and comments too. :)

Thumbnail sized picture attached to this post as I can't do a full size one: The first one is a view in daylight with it set up for projection viewing. The other one is my normal TV viewing mode, with the Devore pushed back to the sides, the top door closed and the below screen cover removed. The TV goes up and down on an electric lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Also a lift up 'door' above the screen with Devore lining on the underneath. This door is only 30cm deep, but still helps with the initial off ceiling reflection.
That is really clever! Theatrical curtains to cover the projection screen when using the TV would improve performance of the TV and protect the screen from prying hands.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I find the neutral background for the TV (with the downlights set to suitable level) works really well. Curtains* would cover the LCR speakers too (it's Seymour XD AT material), which are slightly above where the TV is. I had ideas to try to disguise the screen more, but we've got used to seeing it that it's kind of 'hiding in plain sight'.

*The price of the other curtains in the room would have made a drop down AT screen seem cheap...I let my wife deal with that though, I just did the work on the room. :D

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
There's a big problem with Vantablack... You can't / mustn't touch it

Yes, I'm realizing that the sarcasm/humor didn't come through in my post. I figured when the narrator of the video mentioned that it was extremely dangerous to inhale the stuff and with all the scientists holding it with robber gloves and masks and applying it in clean boxes that that point would come across but... apparently not. The internet has ruined subtlety. :)

Reactions: ARROW-AV

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,079 Posts
OK so I have completed my evaluation of the ROSCO TOUGH PRIME vs ROSCO SUPERSAT vs VIDEO TV PAINT and here are the results

This is with respect to the home theater environment, wherein the light source is the video display / projected image, the viewing position is the seating positions, and the painted surfaces are the ceiling and/or side walls

LEFT SIDE WALL - VIEWED FROM CENTRE OF SEATING ROW:

LEFT SIDE WALL - VIEWED FROM LEFT SIDE OF SEATING ROW:

LEFT SIDE WALL - VIEWED FROM RIGHT SIDE OF SEATING ROW:

In short, the ROSCO VIDEO TV PAINT behaves similar to the TOUGH PRIME however with respect to the lighting and viewing positions associated with home theater environments slightly outperforms it

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
OK so I have completed my evaluation of the ROSCO TOUGH PRIME vs ROSCO SUPERSAT vs VIDEO TV PAINT and here are the results

This is with respect to the home theater environment, wherein the light source is the video display / projected image, the viewing position is the seating positions, and the painted surfaces are the ceiling and/or side walls

LEFT SIDE WALL - VIEWED FROM CENTRE OF SEATING ROW:

LEFT SIDE WALL - VIEWED FROM LEFT SIDE OF SEATING ROW:

LEFT SIDE WALL - VIEWED FROM RIGHT SIDE OF SEATING ROW:

In short, the ROSCO VIDEO TV PAINT behaves similar to the TOUGH PRIME however with respect to the lighting and viewing positions associated with home theater environments slightly outperforms it

Thank you! I was waiting for your test before I ordered my paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6381 - 6400 of 7919 Posts