AVS Forum banner

7701 - 7720 of 7760 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The fine paints of Europe line of paints is only sold at a few stores in each area. See list of retailers below.

It seems that goes on better than the Rosco paint and does not scuff. I am wondering if it is as black.

http://www.finepaintsofeurope.com/retailers.aspx#NY
Even if it's not as dark as the Rosco paint, which I don't know if it is or not, the non scuff and easy roll on, outweigh it, in my opinion. The salesman at the store, who wasn't trying to sell it to me, because I went in there asking for it, was telling me that all the home theater installers in the area, use it exclusively.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Even if it's not as dark as the Rosco paint, which I don't know if it is or not, the non scuff and easy roll on, outweigh it, in my opinion. The salesman at the store, who wasn't trying to sell it to me, because I went in there asking for it, was telling me that all the home theater installers in the area, use it exclusively.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
It does seem like a good alternative to the Rosco. A close friend who has a H.T. near me used the Rosco on his ceiling and the scuf/paint marks can be seen. He has been looking for an alternative.
I will suggest the Paints of Europe black.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
It does seem like a good alternative to the Rosco. A close friend who has a H.T. near me used the Rosco on his ceiling and the scuf/paint marks can be seen. He has been looking for an alternative.
I will suggest the Paints of Europe black.
If you are going to the extreme of black paint for the ceiling then why not go for the self adhesive black velvet flock material I used on the ceiling and walls, it's extremely close to the non-reflectiveness of triple velvet and two people could cover the entire walls and ceiling in a whole day, plus it's as thin as regular wallpaper.

I got my from an outfit in the UK but I am sure it has to be available else where in the world.

Reactions: unretarded

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello
i am new to all of this so i am reading all of most of the comments here. WOW this is an amazing looking theater...congratulations. Was refering to post #4409 ...

I wanted to ask: does the "material property" of velvet in general serve as light refelction.
Not everyone wants to be in a completely blacked out room....so would using triple velvet of other colors on side walls still work? When you go to a movie theater, the only part/section to be blacked out is in the front with the screen..the rest of theater has color like dark reds, burgundys, purple, greys etc...
so if i were to get black for the front and few feet out from screen and ceiling, can the side walls be a different color velvet?
thank you in advance....

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Hello
i am new to all of this so i am reading all of most of the comments here. WOW this is an amazing looking theater...congratulations. Was refering to post #4409 ...

I wanted to ask: does the "material property" of velvet in general serve as light refelction.
Not everyone wants to be in a completely blacked out room....so would using triple velvet of other colors on side walls still work? When you go to a movie theater, the only part/section to be blacked out is in the front with the screen..the rest of theater has color like dark reds, burgundys, purple, greys etc...
so if i were to get black for the front and few feet out from screen and ceiling, can the side walls be a different color velvet?
thank you in advance....
All the movie theatres I have been are as you said, black on the screen wall, black on the ceiling in the form of suspended ceiling tiles and red velvet material on the side walls, the only thing is that I’ve yet to experience a commercial theatre with even the levels of blacks my Epson has. So with that in mind I think yes it’s important to do as much black as possible if you are interested in the very best image you can get.

Reactions: unretarded

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
Hello

thank you in advance....
All the movie theatres I have been are as you said, black on the screen wall, black on the ceiling in the form of suspended ceiling tiles and red velvet material on the side walls, the only thing is that I’ve yet to experience a commercial theatre with even the levels of blacks my Epson has. So with that in mind I think yes it’s important to do as much black as possible if you are interested in the very best image you can get.
See this thread by @SOWK -
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1325369-sowk-s-home-theater-build.html

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
ARROW-AV, I think you've just inspired me to, or shown me a justification to, buy a NX7.

BTW, I am certain my wealth is less than 1 thousandths of 1 percent of your wealth. Just guessing. 😊

Here's the story. My 16X16 theater rooms ceiling and four walls are being covered in Triple Black Velvet. The velvet is already cut. 20% of the walls are up. After seeing your pictures it occurred to me to call Wiedamark Star Ceiling Tiles to price out my ceiling.

The price came to approx 10K shipped with shooting stars. With my Epson 6050 (always wanted a NX7/NX5) I thought I would have a nice theater room at approx $14,500.

Within minutes though I realized, I can have my originally planned Triple Black theater with a NX7 for only $9K.

So that's the story of how I can see a way forward to getting a NX7.

Thank you for helping me figure this out.
😊

·
Registered
8 Posts
That star ceiling is huge! I framed in a 10x15 tray ceiling and am going to fit my star ceiling up there. This "blacker the better" thread has been a big help as i build. I was previously headed for a bright carpet, white wall room and am so glad i read through this all. Its intimidating how many different velvets everyone mentions. What are the most common ones? I plan on velvet on the entire screen wall, the tray ceiling and 2 feet on the sides and ceiling near the screen. Also i cant imagine you drill through the velvet when installing the fiber optics. Should i use an exacto knife?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
That star ceiling is huge! I framed in a 10x15 tray ceiling and am going to fit my star ceiling up there. This "blacker the better" thread has been a big help as i build. I was previously headed for a bright carpet, white wall room and am so glad i read through this all. Its intimidating how many different velvets everyone mentions. What are the most common ones? I plan on velvet on the entire screen wall, the tray ceiling and 2 feet on the sides and ceiling near the screen. Also i cant imagine you drill through the velvet when installing the fiber optics. Should i use an exacto knife?

Dark paints get you the first 30% there..........any velvet gets you the 60-70% thats left.........so the quibble is really over the last 10% in performance.......really about the last 5-8%........

I have probably the worst performing velvet and its super dark super light absorbing compared to any paint.......occasionally I notice a little light on it......but its probably 93% of the performance of the best velvet....... which is better than all the non velvet room or about 95% of all theaters.

You can easily go 5 times the cost and get 5% better performance, certainly not 5 times the performance........only you can pick the balance of budget VS performance.

I went with 2.50 a yard stuff as the last 8% was not worth 5 to 8 times the cost or the very best at 15 times the cost.....

My advice is order some yards...... like I did,......I ordered 20 samples and several yards of different materials........mine was soo cheap I Just ordered 30 yards as the sample since I had already seen small samples of that style of material.

I am doing a new build soon and will be using the same stuff as it has performed way above its price point........good enough not to be concerned for me with needing the last 8% in performance.........technically its not even velvet....crush panne velour.....

Samples samples and more samples...preferable in yard sizes not 6 inch squares as that is very hard to see differences. I think I spent 50-75 bucks in samples. I did get 6 inch samples of any of the stuff that was over 8-10 bucks a yard though....I think I did get a 1 yard sample of the 15-20 buck a yard stuff just to lay over my cheap stuff........just to make sure......yeah the true good velvet was better, but not 7 times the price better.

Moral of the story.....samples samples samples.....then narrow it down and order a yard of the top 3-5 contenders......If I could find them, I would send them as it was very extensive sample pack.......velvets with patterns, with images, even some with flames.......:D

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Ok, trying to go a bit further with darkening the HT Room. I bought the rug (Black) as recommended worked out well. Then I thought my ceiling need to be blacken w/o painting, so I moved 3 of my black SonoLite panels to the front of the room, nice modification. Then I thought, why not do the rest of the ceiling, and then I don’t have to worry about the WAF. I wish I would have bought the black ones instead of the tans, however I digress.

Now, the black SonoLite panels are difficult to find, however I managed to find 8 among different vendors to complete the darkening of the room. I’m excited about this future improvement, and I will let you know how this project turns out.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
4,983 Posts
Stunning.
Incredible.
The best ever.
Will never be anything better even by Gates or Bezos.

Why, why, why such a tiny screen though?

UPDATE
I see the screen is quite large.
The screen looks small.
How far from the screen is the front row seating?
The screen is 15 feet wide :)

Viewing distance front row to screen is circa 4.68m / 15' 4".

I follow THX recommendations, with viewing distance being 2.4 x Image Height, and SMPTE recommendations, hence with a horizontal viewing angle for 2.35/2.39:1 being 52 degrees.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
how do you attach the velvet to the ceiling?
It’s self adhesive, think of it like decals which have a paper backing you peel out to reveal the sticky side.

·
Registered
18,115 Posts
I meant commercial movie theatres are black ceilings and usually red velvet material on the walls. Home theatres done proper usually go the black route, myself included.
I went with the red velvet on the walls look myself. It works. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ah. I have triple black i purchased. Which velvet did you use?
The adhesive stuff is flocking, not real velvet. But can be very effective at reducing reflections and it usually used to line the inside's of telescopes.

7701 - 7720 of 7760 Posts