AVS Forum banner

7921 - 7940 of 7969 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Need black velvet - NOT FROM THE US

Hi,

I've been looking at some velvet from this UK store called Fabric Land. They have

"Velvet cotton fabric", which is 100% cotton

"Velvet fabric triple woven black", which is 100% polyester

Unfortunately, the photos of the material aren't convincing. The one of the cotton isn't bad, but the polyester one doesn't allow to see clearly how the material reacts to light. In theory, I would expect cotton velvet to reflect less than polyester velvet, but it also depends on the density of the fibers. The velvet I have now is supposedly 100% cotton, and it looks dark enough for me. I know that there is much darker, but I can neither afford it or find it in Europe, and the US stores like iFabric don't send here for some reason.

With 31 meters I could cover my whole room and the price would be reasonable, but I really can't get an idea of how good this velvet is in regard to light absorption. I would appreciate some insight from those of you who can easily tell about the quality of velvet. Thanks.
So, just to close my own post, for anyone in Europe looking for cheap black velvet. I received the samples from FABRICLAND (UK). You can check the prices at their website.

So, the left one is their "cotton" black velvet, the middle one is their "triple woven black" velvet, and the right one is my old cotton velvet. I've placed the 3 at the least reflective angle. Excuse me for the cellphone photos. Fabricland's "cotton" velvet is the least dark, it almost looks like a dark gray suede. Fabricland's "triple woven black" is actually a bit darker than my cotton velvet, although it's made of polyester, and it keeps about the same amount of reflectivity no matter the angle of rotation; on the negative side, it's not opaque (as shown on the last photo). I wonder if this would make any difference, considering that, onced the velvet was installed, light would bounce off the screen, go through the velvet, then go through it again after bouncing off the walls. I mean, although it's not opaque, it still looks darker when laid on a white surface. Generally speaking, the quality of either velvet is not great, but the triple woven doesn't seem to drop nearly any particles.

What do you think?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just an FYI to those planning to use velvet. You should seriously consider getting a cheap fabric cutter as opposed to using a box cutter, exacto or scissors. The cuts are extremely clean and neat with no tearing or fraying. You can't simply just cut it like regular fabric. I use the one linked here and it does wonders. Also, get yourself a self healing mat for underneath. My entire theater project was handled this way and I can't image dealing with the mess and headache of doing it otherwise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just an FYI to those planning to use velvet. You should seriously consider getting a cheap fabric cutter as opposed to using a box cutter, exacto or scissors. The cuts are extremely clean and neat with no tearing or fraying. You can't simply just cut it like regular fabric. I use the one linked here and it does wonders. Also, get yourself a self healing mat for underneath. My entire theater project was handled this way and I can't image dealing with the mess and headache of doing it otherwise.
Thank you for sharing and saving me the headache. I have my triple black velvet (45" Black Triple Velvet-30 Yards Wholesale by The Bolt) getting delivered this Friday. I just ordered the fabric cutter and healing mat, so I'll be all set to put up velvet this weekend! I'll be using these tacks to install the velvet on the ceilings and walls: Matt Black Upholstery Nails/Tacks

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thank you for sharing and saving me the headache. I have my triple black velvet (45" Black Triple Velvet-30 Yards Wholesale by The Bolt) getting delivered this Friday. I just ordered the fabric cutter and healing mat, so I'll be all set to put up velvet this weekend! I'll be using these tacks to install the velvet on the ceilings and walls: Matt Black Upholstery Nails/Tacks
I looked at those tacks prior to installing my wall panels. I thought they would be visible. Let us know your results with them, maybe they blend into the dark more than I think they will. It woul dbe nice to have an option of tightening up a few sags here and there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just wanted to chime in with a big "thank you" to everyone for all of the great ideas and advice. I've been lurking here for a while and recently took the plunge into a bit of light/reflection management, thanks in large part to all of the helpful info posted here.

Our theater room is a walk-out basement that's shared with my wife's office, so going all-out in terms of modifications and room treatments hasn't been an option. That said, kudos to my wife for being open to making enough refinements to create a very functional, enjoyable movie-watching environment.

To manage the light from the big window, we installed a motorized blackout shade with side channels. Not exactly cheap, but incredibly effective.

Reflections from the speaker surfaces, component stand, etc. have been practically eliminated by adhesive-backed velvet.

The purple walls were chosen by my wife long before we ever contemplated using the space as a theater room, but it turns out to have been an inspired decision. Once the lights are off, it's as dark and non-reflective as any black paint I've seen.

The only thing left at this point was tackling the reflections on the white ceiling, which were particularly noticeable given that the top of the screen is only about 6" below it. Painting wasn't going to get green-lit, so we settled on mounting four 3' x 4' panels covered in triple velvet. Adding a hue light strip border was the only requirement for spousal approval, which I was happy to do.

I'm very pleased with how much of a benefit we get from blacking out just the first 4 feet of the ceiling. Sure, we could have come further out, but this is enough to eliminate ceiling reflections from all but the periphery of our vision.

And with all the lights off, we get the full "black hole" effect and finally get to experience our JVC NX7 to its fullest.

So again, a sincere thank-you to everyone for sharing all of the valuable information and recommendations. I never would have thought to use velvet as a room treatment, but thanks to all of you it's turning out to have one of the biggest impacts, dollar for dollar, of anything that we've done to this space so far.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I received Sy's Black Velvet swatch. Very nice! The flatest black I've found, much better than the flattest version I tried at Joannes. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Wow. Those are great pictures to show what can be achieved! And you're not even in what is generally considered "a perfect room" or a "perfect black hole."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just wanted to chime in with a big "thank you" to everyone for all of the great ideas and advice. I've been lurking here for a while and recently took the plunge into a bit of light/reflection management, thanks in large part to all of the helpful info posted here.

Our theater room is a walk-out basement that's shared with my wife's office, so going all-out in terms of modifications and room treatments hasn't been an option. That said, kudos to my wife for being open to making enough refinements to create a very functional, enjoyable movie-watching environment.

View attachment 3040285

To manage the light from the big window, we installed a motorized blackout shade with side channels. Not exactly cheap, but incredibly effective.

View attachment 3040286

Reflections from the speaker surfaces, component stand, etc. have been practically eliminated by adhesive-backed velvet.

View attachment 3040287

View attachment 3040288

The purple walls were chosen by my wife long before we ever contemplated using the space as a theater room, but it turns out to have been an inspired decision. Once the lights are off, it's as dark and non-reflective as any black paint I've seen.

The only thing left at this point was tackling the reflections on the white ceiling, which were particularly noticeable given that the top of the screen is only about 6" below it. Painting wasn't going to get green-lit, so we settled on mounting four 3' x 4' panels covered in triple velvet. Adding a hue light strip border was the only requirement for spousal approval, which I was happy to do.

View attachment 3040290

I'm very pleased with how much of a benefit we get from blacking out just the first 4 feet of the ceiling. Sure, we could have come further out, but this is enough to eliminate ceiling reflections from all but the periphery of our vision.

View attachment 3040292

And with all the lights off, we get the full "black hole" effect and finally get to experience our JVC NX7 to its fullest.

View attachment 3040293

View attachment 3040294

So again, a sincere thank-you to everyone for sharing all of the valuable information and recommendations. I never would have thought to use velvet as a room treatment, but thanks to all of you it's turning out to have one of the biggest impacts, dollar for dollar, of anything that we've done to this space so far.
Can you please share details on the black out shades? Side channels sound very interesting. Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts

Wow I wish I would have read this before cutting my Syfabrics velvet with scissors! A huge mess could have been saved. I got the job done, but man those frayed ends are a pain. I have a couple more to make so this will definitely be purchased. Thanks for the link!

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
I bought some acoustic panels from ATS Acoustic with the Guilford of Maine Black, which they call "Pitch" assuming it was actually black. I've spent so much time and effort blacking out my room only to be horrified at how gray these panels look in comparison. I almost don't even want to install them. Is there anything I can do to fix these? Is there another acoustic material I can re-wrap them with? This sucks.

Quest AI uses Anchorage Onyx black for the front of theaters. They are really black but not like black velvet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So, I had my wife on board with black velvet and then we went to a fabric store to look at some....

We live in AZ and dust is a real problem here. All the velvet we looked at was dirty, either with dust or with tiny bits of cloth, thread, etc. from the store. Now we're concerned with doing the walls and ceiling and finding out that we just can not keep them clean.

What's everyone's experience with that? I couldn't seem to find any mention of people having problems with cleaning, but my wife is concerned this may be a desert town problem that most people wouldn't have to deal with. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I had not thought about being able to clean the velvet. Does anyone have issues with pet hair? Is cleaning the material entirely a process based on the mounting method?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
So, I had my wife on board with black velvet and then we went to a fabric store to look at some....

We live in AZ and dust is a real problem here. All the velvet we looked at was dirty, either with dust or with tiny bits of cloth, thread, etc. from the store. Now we're concerned with doing the walls and ceiling and finding out that we just can not keep them clean.

What's everyone's experience with that? I couldn't seem to find any mention of people having problems with cleaning, but my wife is concerned this may be a desert town problem that most people wouldn't have to deal with. Thoughts?
When we had our house in Phoenix I put up velvet and the dust was easily seen after a few days right after we cleaned them (small vacuum). During monsoon was even worse. Wife hated it and she put her foot down on the current build and made me paint.

BTW, I mentioned this before here multiple times and NO ONE believed me. AZ dust is microscopic and it gets in matter what you do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When we had our house in Phoenix I put up velvet and the dust was easily seen after a few days right after we cleaned them (small vacuum). During monsoon was even worse. Wife hated it and she put her foot down on the current build and made me paint.

BTW, I mentioned this before here multiple times and NO ONE believed me. AZ dust is microscopic and it gets in matter what you do.
Yeah, we live in a smaller town known for being windy as well, and as much as I would like to do velvet, its seeming like it would be a weekly thing to clean (and with a 12ft ceiling that sounds like a nightmare).

My wife thinks painting is probably our only real option. I was thinking maybe some kind of really tight knit thin carpet might be possible. It would still need cleaned, but I think it would take much longer to be noticeable. I guess that's because it wouldn't be as black though... Also don't know how much that would impact sound in the room.

Really don't want to just paint the room >_<

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
My wife thinks painting is probably our only real option. I was thinking maybe some kind of really tight knit thin carpet might be possible. It would still need cleaned, but I think it would take much longer to be noticeable. I guess that's because it wouldn't be as black though... Also don't know how much that would impact sound in the room.

Really don't want to just paint the room >_<
I painted with Rosco Super Sat Black and installed a black carpet from Home Depot and I have zero complaints...

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
That's a nice HT Room Kilroy^^^.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Reactions: Reezepees

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow, yeah... that is easily the nicest looking painted theater I've seen. Rosco Supersaturated Black you say? I'm looking at this and its saying mix 1:1 with water, although I'm also seeing dilution will cause a glaze effect? Any tips on how you achieved that? I think I'm going to give it a try. Thank you so much!

7921 - 7940 of 7969 Posts