AVS Forum banner

7941 - 7960 of 7969 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Wow, yeah... that is easily the nicest looking painted theater I've seen. Rosco Supersaturated Black you say? I'm looking at this and its saying mix 1:1 with water, although I'm also seeing dilution will cause a glaze effect? Any tips on how you achieved that? I think I'm going to give it a try. Thank you so much!
Nope....do it undiluted!!! It is a bit more work since it's more like roof tar than paint but it works much better this way. I did two coats on the walls and three coats on the ceiling (but that was due to the ceiling having a matte paint and the first coat got soaked up. Use good thick (10mm or so) microfiber rollers. No need to roll out too much on the paint pan since you want a thick coat and roll it slowly out. It was quite a work out. Test it out on small patch and you will how it gets applied...it is not like any other paint you have ever used before. This stuff is REALLY thick!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Can you please share details on the black out shades? Side channels sound very interesting. Thanks!
Happy to.

The shade itself is just a normal roller shade with a blackout backing that prevents any light transmission through the fabric itself. The side channels are U-shaped aluminum tracks, about 3" deep, that get mounted to the sides of the window casing. The "brushes" keep the blind centered as it rolls up/down and adds a bit of additional light blockage.

Another aluminum piece along the top of the window boxes in the rolled-up blind and the mounting assembly, motor, etc.

There was a very, very small amount of light leakage where pieces of the frame met with each other or with the window frame, but that was easily sealed up using black foam weather stripping or 2" gaffer's tape. The result speaks for itself, as this is an actual picture of the window with the blind closed, taken on a sunny day:

Happy to share additional details if you'd like. Feel free to DM me. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like that ^
:) great solution @tcoble33
Thanks. It took quite a bit of homework to find someone local who could provide this solution for an extra-large window (mine is 105" wide), but in this case my stubbornness paid off. FWIW, the battery-powered motorized unit (Somfy) was a big part of the expense, so if you're not bent on a powered solution I imagine the cost would be borderline reasonable.

Funny thing, the most complicated part of the entire project was integrating the blind control and my Harmony remote. Since the Somfy motor is RF only, I had to buy a RF-to-Zwave hub, then get that hub to talk to my SmartThings hub, and then get the SmartThings hub to talk to my Harmony hub. Took a few days to get that hammered out, but it's been bulletproof ever since.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Ready to get this project started! :D

When it’s done, I’ll share the whole process, with some tips that might be very helpful to people here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I looked at those tacks prior to installing my wall panels. I thought they would be visible. Let us know your results with them, maybe they blend into the dark more than I think they will. It woul dbe nice to have an option of tightening up a few sags here and there.
Any reason to use this tacks instead of a stapler?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Aesthetically, Tacks (Black) will disappear Staples not so much, my $0.02.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I've had the opposite experience to the other response. I bought black colored staples, and don't see them at all in my setup. Tacks, I could see.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I bought matte black tacks to minimize reflections.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok I tested it today. There is definitely a layer of protection on it.. still scuffs but nothing like straight out of the can. U can blot out the scuff with light damp cloth by pressing gently against it. Without the flat acrylic it scuffs just by looking at it..

I don't see any difference with light reflecting. It's just way too dark and flat to see any difference. I could had easily done 8 cups per gallon of flat acrylic and gotten away with it..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Jorge

I know this is an older post from you but I wanted to mention two things.

Firstly thank you for your posts. I followed your adventure and learnings to paint my room entirely in Rosco Video Paint - TV Black (with the 6-7 cups of flat glaze in it). I did experiment by painting black first then a coat of glaze on top.....it does dull the black and still scuff (less but still scuffs). So I went for the mix and didn't look back. Your posts have been very helpful.....appreciate it.

Secondly, Im not sure this is covered anywhere else online but if you accidentally scuff the wall make sure you have some yellow Frog Tape for delicate surfaces handy. Tape over the scuff and rub over the tape in multiple directions (the paint is rough so you have to get the right angle for the tape to pick up the scuff) and take peel it off.....most scuffs just vanish and the paint is not even affected. Ran into this by complete accident and its a god send.

Hope this helps others!

Jim

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Hi can u post the link where you purchased them?
Thank you..

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
Yes, Amazon, deco tacks Matt Black Upholstery Nails/Tacks. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Yes, Amazon, deco tacks Matt Black Upholstery Nails/Tacks. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Ha thank you but I read your post wrong. . I thought I read you bought the rods or tracks matte for less reflection. But thanks for the help anyways..

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Jorge

Firstly thank you for your posts. I followed your adventure and learnings to paint my room entirely in Rosco Video Paint - TV Black (with the 6-7 cups of flat glaze in it). I did experiment by painting black first then a coat of glaze on top.....it does dull the black and still scuff (less but still scuffs). So I went for the mix and didn't look back. Your posts have been very helpful.....appreciate it.

Secondly, Im not sure this is covered anywhere else online but if you accidentally scuff the wall make sure you have some yellow Frog Tape for delicate surfaces handy. Tape over the scuff and rub over the tape in multiple directions (the paint is rough so you have to get the right angle for the tape to pick up the scuff) and take peel it off.....most scuffs just vanish and the paint is not even affected. Ran into this by complete accident and its a god send.

Hope this helps others!

Jim
I'm glad I was able to help. Someone did post about the tape a few months back and it works. To be honest I just tell everyone that comes in no to touch the walls or ill kill them and thats worked pretty well so far.. hahaha
I've been using a dry brush or I just tap the scuffs with a moist paper towel and both work pretty well.
But I've been able to keep the roof pretty much scuff free for most of the time I've been very picky with this..

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought (2) of these and they worked out really well. Huge difference just by blacking out the back wall and about 4 feet of the ceiling and floor. They look to be sold out now (maybe I bought the last 2), but I assume it will be back in stock. Total cost was about $50 with the black tacks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought (2) of these and they worked out really well. Huge difference just by blacking out the back wall and about 4 feet of the ceiling and floor. They look to be sold out now (maybe I bought the last 2), but I assume it will be back in stock. Total cost was about $50 with the black tacks.

could you add pics with the material installed? I bought a whole bolt of material from

but have not yet installed it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Jorge

Hope this helps others!

Jim
I posted a video showing how to use painters tape to remove scuffs a while back.

7941 - 7960 of 7969 Posts