AVS Forum banner

7961 - 7969 of 7969 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
could you add pics with the material installed? I bought a whole bolt of material from

but have not yet installed it.
I couldn't get a good picture that shows the detail very well. The difference in black between the screen frame and this material is almost non existent. With the lights on full blast and a microscope you could spot a miniscule difference, but with lights off /projector on it's pitch black. The material cut very easily too with regular scissors.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Ok, finally got time to install the Velvet. I had tan acoustical panels and I installed the black velvet on the existing tan panels. I am initially impressed with the increase in PQ. Further eval pending, however, initially, I see a 10-15% increase in PQ, personal visual opinion, not scientifically measured. Well worth the time (~2.5 hrs) and effort, IMHO. Black Theater Matters, I hope this helps others.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Reactions: Jive Turkey

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Any before and after pictures?
Unfortunately not, this was a spur of the moment thing, which was after my Honey Do Weekend List.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sorry for the last two posts.

I found this forum after I purchased some material and am wanting to elaborate on what I did to help others make informed decisions.. I was looking at buying the triple velvet from a couple of retailers until I spoke to one on the wholesalers for the fabric who was adamant that the Royal Velvet was a better material. I had seen on this site where many said to use a royal velvet fabric from JoAnn and so many other retailers. So I decided to buy an entire bolt of the Royal fabric (Can use for other purposes) from here:

I spoke to the retailer also who talked me out of using the triple because it was not as good of a fabric (more transparent), not very fire resistant, etc. This site is for the triple velvet that I ended up not buying:

I found that many say to use the Sy Fabric triple velvet from here:

to get a little better history go to Black velvet fabric for a history or my research into Sy and my textile fabric (post 129-133). They basically all buy from the wholesaler that I was able to gather even though I could never get Sy to answer the phone to confirm that.

After getting the bolt in I decided to buy some samples of the triple velvet from Sy and my textile to compare against the Royal bolt I purchased. Some comparison pics are shown below. Basically, at times I can see a difference, and others I can't depending on the light. I am debating about purchasing the Triple Velvet but am trying to figure out if I would even notice much of an improvement if I bought the triple. The triple velvet sample from Sy and my textile is identical by the way.

Velvet comparison with lights on. I noticed very fast that the triple attracts dirt, fibers, etc. really fast and it shows. It is also a lot thinner and feels cheaply made as compared to the Royal. In this light it is more black.

Comparison with lights off but flash on my phone's camera
:

Lights Off and no flash, I dragged the material to the back corner of the basement where there are no windows (you can see the white labels but no difference in the material):

Now for a few pic comparisons with a flashlight shining at different angles in the back of my basement:
Light shining directly on material:

Light shining just off of the material:

I put the flashlight behind both Triple Velvets:

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think I hit a limit on pics. so continuing the post here.
Triple Velvet with flashlight:

Royal Velvet with Flashlight:

In the end, I was planning on using the Royal I bought on the Screen wall and the ceiling for a future fiber optic ceiling. I am really curious though if I will notice a difference/improvement if I were to use the triple over the royal. I see many people on this site post that they use the royal and other types of velvet that are not the triple velvet and are pleased.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I bought and installed Hudson 43 Velvet from Joann, and I am pleased with the fabric.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

7961 - 7969 of 7969 Posts