AVS Forum banner

7961 - 7980 of 7999 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
could you add pics with the material installed? I bought a whole bolt of material from

but have not yet installed it.
I couldn't get a good picture that shows the detail very well. The difference in black between the screen frame and this material is almost non existent. With the lights on full blast and a microscope you could spot a miniscule difference, but with lights off /projector on it's pitch black. The material cut very easily too with regular scissors.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Ok, finally got time to install the Velvet. I had tan acoustical panels and I installed the black velvet on the existing tan panels. I am initially impressed with the increase in PQ. Further eval pending, however, initially, I see a 10-15% increase in PQ, personal visual opinion, not scientifically measured. Well worth the time (~2.5 hrs) and effort, IMHO. Black Theater Matters, I hope this helps others.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Reactions: Jive Turkey

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Any before and after pictures?
Unfortunately not, this was a spur of the moment thing, which was after my Honey Do Weekend List.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry for the last two posts.

I found this forum after I purchased some material and am wanting to elaborate on what I did to help others make informed decisions.. I was looking at buying the triple velvet from a couple of retailers until I spoke to one on the wholesalers for the fabric who was adamant that the Royal Velvet was a better material. I had seen on this site where many said to use a royal velvet fabric from JoAnn and so many other retailers. So I decided to buy an entire bolt of the Royal fabric (Can use for other purposes) from here:

I spoke to the retailer also who talked me out of using the triple because it was not as good of a fabric (more transparent), not very fire resistant, etc. This site is for the triple velvet that I ended up not buying:

I found that many say to use the Sy Fabric triple velvet from here:

to get a little better history go to Black velvet fabric for a history or my research into Sy and my textile fabric (post 129-133). They basically all buy from the wholesaler that I was able to gather even though I could never get Sy to answer the phone to confirm that.

After getting the bolt in I decided to buy some samples of the triple velvet from Sy and my textile to compare against the Royal bolt I purchased. Some comparison pics are shown below. Basically, at times I can see a difference, and others I can't depending on the light. I am debating about purchasing the Triple Velvet but am trying to figure out if I would even notice much of an improvement if I bought the triple. The triple velvet sample from Sy and my textile is identical by the way.

Velvet comparison with lights on. I noticed very fast that the triple attracts dirt, fibers, etc. really fast and it shows. It is also a lot thinner and feels cheaply made as compared to the Royal. In this light it is more black.

Comparison with lights off but flash on my phone's camera
:

Lights Off and no flash, I dragged the material to the back corner of the basement where there are no windows (you can see the white labels but no difference in the material):

Now for a few pic comparisons with a flashlight shining at different angles in the back of my basement:
Light shining directly on material:

Light shining just off of the material:

I put the flashlight behind both Triple Velvets:

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think I hit a limit on pics. so continuing the post here.
Triple Velvet with flashlight:

Royal Velvet with Flashlight:

In the end, I was planning on using the Royal I bought on the Screen wall and the ceiling for a future fiber optic ceiling. I am really curious though if I will notice a difference/improvement if I were to use the triple over the royal. I see many people on this site post that they use the royal and other types of velvet that are not the triple velvet and are pleased.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
I bought and installed Hudson 43 Velvet from Joann, and I am pleased with the fabric.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Just wanted to chime in with a big "thank you" to everyone for all of the great ideas and advice. I've been lurking here for a while and recently took the plunge into a bit of light/reflection management, thanks in large part to all of the helpful info posted here.

Our theater room is a walk-out basement that's shared with my wife's office, so going all-out in terms of modifications and room treatments hasn't been an option. That said, kudos to my wife for being open to making enough refinements to create a very functional, enjoyable movie-watching environment.

View attachment 3040285

To manage the light from the big window, we installed a motorized blackout shade with side channels. Not exactly cheap, but incredibly effective.

View attachment 3040286

Reflections from the speaker surfaces, component stand, etc. have been practically eliminated by adhesive-backed velvet.

View attachment 3040287

View attachment 3040288

The purple walls were chosen by my wife long before we ever contemplated using the space as a theater room, but it turns out to have been an inspired decision. Once the lights are off, it's as dark and non-reflective as any black paint I've seen.

The only thing left at this point was tackling the reflections on the white ceiling, which were particularly noticeable given that the top of the screen is only about 6" below it. Painting wasn't going to get green-lit, so we settled on mounting four 3' x 4' panels covered in triple velvet. Adding a hue light strip border was the only requirement for spousal approval, which I was happy to do.

View attachment 3040290

I'm very pleased with how much of a benefit we get from blacking out just the first 4 feet of the ceiling. Sure, we could have come further out, but this is enough to eliminate ceiling reflections from all but the periphery of our vision.

View attachment 3040292

And with all the lights off, we get the full "black hole" effect and finally get to experience our JVC NX7 to its fullest.

View attachment 3040293

View attachment 3040294

So again, a sincere thank-you to everyone for sharing all of the valuable information and recommendations. I never would have thought to use velvet as a room treatment, but thanks to all of you it's turning out to have one of the biggest impacts, dollar for dollar, of anything that we've done to this space so far.

What adhesive backed velvet did you use?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
What is the best practice for not revealing the seams? Do you guys go vertically from beam to beam or horizontally and then overlap?

·
Registered
117 Posts
What adhesive backed velvet did you use?
Nothing particularly exotic. I actually made my choice based on the width of the roll, as I needed something at least 15" wide. Turned out to be a good option, as I've been extremely pleased with the result.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Nothing particularly exotic. I actually made my choice based on the width of the roll, as I needed something at least 15" wide. Turned out to be a good option, as I've been extremely pleased with the result.

Hmmm... can something like that be used on walls around the screen to avoid painting??? Or would the look just be off? I really hate painting :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hmmm... can something like that be used on walls around the screen to avoid painting??? Or would the look just be off? I really hate painting :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hard to say. I suppose technically it could work on walls, insofar as the adhesive isn't so strong that you'd have to worry about it pulling off paint. And in terms of edges aligning it seems to work pretty well - easily as well as any wallpaper that I've seen. Still, my gut says it might not be an ideal approach.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
A bit off-topic - maybe - for the experts here.

- if one had the choice between black gloss speakers and dark matt wood speakers (e.g. rosewood, cherry or walnut) - what would be the best choice for a treated projection living room with dark grey ceiling and walls, black furniture and rack (not dedicated room or bat cave)?

(velvet or similar treatment of speakers is not an option)

I feel like it is choice between 2 evils.

I am mainly worried about the center reflecting back onto the screen...

·
Registered
117 Posts
A bit off-topic - maybe - for the experts here.

- if one had the choice between black gloss speakers and dark matt wood speakers (e.g. rosewood, cherry or walnut) - what would be the best choice for a treated projection living room with dark grey ceiling and walls, black furniture and rack (not dedicated room or bat cave)?

(velvet or similar treatment of speakers is not an option)

I feel like it is choice between 2 evils.

I am mainly worried about the center reflecting back onto the screen...
You're right that neither option is 100% ideal from a reflection management standpoint, but of the two I'd say that a matte finish would be the lesser of the two evils. Keep in mind that while reflection of light back onto the screen is a legitimate concern, you also need to consider the impact of having surfaces in your line of sight that "light up" with reflected light from the screen. In my opinion, those peripheral visual distractions can have just as much of an impact - if not more - on your overall viewing experience. A glossy surface is designed to be shiny and to maximize reflections, which is exactly what you want to avoid in this scenario.

For center speaker reflections, you may want to reconsider a minimal black velvet treatment if at all possible. My center has what I'd consider a semi-gloss finish, and adding adhesive-backed velvet really didn't make a significant change to its appearance under normal light. However, when watching a movie it went from a huge source of reflection to virtually invisible.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You're right that neither option is 100% ideal from a reflection management standpoint, but of the two I'd say that a matte finish would be the lesser of the two evils. Keep in mind that while reflection of light back onto the screen is a legitimate concern, you also need to consider the impact of having surfaces in your line of sight that "light up" with reflected light from the screen. In my opinion, those peripheral visual distractions can have just as much of an impact - if not more - on your overall viewing experience. A glossy surface is designed to be shiny and to maximize reflections, which is exactly what you want to avoid in this scenario.

For center speaker reflections, you may want to reconsider a minimal black velvet treatment if at all possible. My center has what I'd consider a semi-gloss finish, and adding adhesive-backed velvet really didn't make a significant change to its appearance under normal light. However, when watching a movie it went from a huge source of reflection to virtually invisible.

View attachment 3051269
Thanks for the input. Covering a speaker in velvet or similar is not an option. :)

btw - what rack is that ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the input. Covering a speaker in velvet or similar is not an option. :)

btw - what rack is that ?
The stand is one that I found at Home Depot; the brand is South Shore. It was one of the only racks that I was able to find that met my dimensional requirements - i.e., wide enough to fit three components with adequate spacing in between for ventilation, but short enough height-wise to fit below my screen with the center speaker sitting on the top shelf. So far, I've been really happy with it.

7961 - 7980 of 7999 Posts