AVS Forum banner

8081 - 8100 of 8208 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Anyone have experience with these panels for covering wall and ceiling areas? Pricey but easy.
These worked out better than expected
Completely removable with Gorilla mounting putty as though they were never there
And they have some sound absorption to cut the edge off the reverb
Here's my progress, chipping away at the treatments
Have dark velvet curtain panels on order to frame the glass doors
Need another subwoofer to fill out the front
For carpet I went to Home Depot and they have this black outdoor rug material on a roll - they'll cut you a slice to size and it's dirt cheap
I just roll on/off as needed

·
Registered
839 Posts
These worked out better than expected
Completely removable with Gorilla mounting putty as though they were never there
And they have some sound absorption to cut the edge off the reverb
Here's my progress, chipping away at the treatments
Have dark velvet curtain panels on order to frame the glass doors
Need another subwoofer to fill out the front
For carpet I went to Home Depot and they have this black outdoor rug material on a roll - they'll cut you a slice to size and it's dirt cheap
I just roll on/off as needed

View attachment 3071271

How did you make those panels and how much did they cost

·
Registered
138 Posts
How did you make those panels and how much did they cost
See the Amazon link above
They are $55 for a box of 6 panels at 16”x12”
So kind of pricey.
I mixed in some of the 12”x12” to make the shape work out overall
I needed 11 boxes total and that was somewhere around $650
But with the Gorilla mounting putty squares they go on so easily
It does not take long to get them all up
And they are removable and reconfigurable.

Now, they are not super black velvet
So if you want that totally dark look, then maybe stick to velvet

Obviously I am not going that direction with my space
So these were the best balance of form/fit/function I could find
They really do work acoustically so that was a bonus

Reactions: Patriot666

·
Registered
16 Posts
How is Microvelvet ? Im in India and i got some samples from a manufacturing unit here, the microvelvet is much darker than all of those and least reflective. However, in certain very bright scenes it seems to reflect some light. Its placed very close to the screen on my white speakers, maybe thats why ? Or am i expecting a bit too much ?
How is Triple black velvet different from Microvelvet ?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Awesome work, I went from a dark brown carpet to black and loved the result so I’m sure this is even better. How to you like the image now vs before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

I love the way the black shag really brings the room together. I honestly can’t tell a difference in image quality between the previous and current flooring, because I added the velvet and darker rugs over the light carpet shortly after getting the room setup, so there wasn’t much time for comparison.

As is the point of this thread, I definitely noticed a substantial difference in the perceived contrast and immersion between each darkening step taken, such as using less reflective paint on the walls and ceiling, tacking up good light absorbing velvet around the room, adding a dark carpet, etc. We just love how video games and movies are so incredibly immersive in a dedicated media room!

·
Registered
386 Posts
An 8x11 black shag rug worked out perfectly! Got it on sale at Wayfair.com. This is my new room in it's infancy, just setup to be usable for now. I ordered a bolt of velvet on amazon weeks ago and it never showed up. Now I'll have to wait for a replacement to start covering the walls and ceiling.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
How are you guys securing the carpet so that it doesn't wrinkle or move? Are you guys on concrete? If so, are you using a padding? Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Finally getting ready to paint my screening wall before the screen arrive (hopefully by next week). Looks like Sherwin-Williams Tricon Black (SW6258) is a popular choice of color. Any other recommendations? Only wanting to paint the screening wall for now. Not sure I'm ready to paint the whole room black. Seems a bit too heavy for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How are you guys securing the carpet so that it doesn't wrinkle or move? Are you guys on concrete? If so, are you using a padding? Thanks
Im on a Concrete floor. Underpadding used is a Hitlon 6mm sheet which is pasted to the floor with a adhesive and the carpet is pasted on the hitlon using the same adhesive. My floor was a bit rough so underpadding was required to extend the life of the Carpet.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
[QUOTE="Not sure I'm ready to paint the whole room black. Seems a bit too heavy for me.[/QUOTE]

That’s what I thought when I built my theater a few years ago. Now all my walls and ceiling are Tricorn Black and I love it. My room finally outperforms my RS420

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,394 Posts
Finally getting ready to paint my screening wall before the screen arrive (hopefully by next week). Looks like Sherwin-Williams Tricon Black (SW6258) is a popular choice of color. Any other recommendations? Only wanting to paint the screening wall for now. Not sure I'm ready to paint the whole room black. Seems a bit too heavy for me.

If there is any way you would consider using velvet instead of paint, I highly recommend it. In my opinion the difference between going from light paint to black paint is the same as going from black paint to velvet, maybe even more.

This is a zoomed up shot of part of my ceiling. The ceiling in the front half of my room has velvet and the back half has mouse ears black (flat) from home depot, which is about as black as paint gets.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If there is any way you would consider using velvet instead of paint, I highly recommend it. In my opinion the difference between going from light paint to black paint is the same as going from black paint to velvet, maybe even more.

This is a zoomed up shot of part of my ceiling. The ceiling in the front half of my room has velvet and the back half has mouse ears black (flat) from home depot, which is about as black as paint gets.
I second this. I spent a lot of money, time, and made a mess painting my last theater completely black with Rosco paint. Once you see it next to black velvet, you'll inevitably want to cover the painted areas in velvet anyways. There's nothing like it..it looks like putting a black hole over anything you put it on. The other thing is when it came time to sell my house, it took a solid 3 coats of white ceiling paint to cover the black, and with 10 foot ceilings that was a real PITA. I'd just start with velvet and skip painting, which is what I'm doing in my new room. ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts

I second this. I spent a lot of money, time, and made a mess painting my last theater completely black with Rosco paint. Once you see it next to black velvet, you'll inevitably want to cover the painted areas in velvet anyways. There's nothing like it..it looks like putting a black hole over anything you put it on. The other thing is when it came time to sell my house, it took a solid 3 coats of white ceiling paint to cover the black, and with 10 foot ceilings that was a real PITA. I'd just start with velvet and skip painting, which is what I'm doing in my new room. ;)
Thanks for the tips! I searched the forum for black velvet and came across several ways to do it. Paneling seems to be the popular option and stapling it directly on the wall is another way albeit I would need to hide the staplers. Does anyone here try the self adhesive way? Saw several of this option from Amazon and not sure how easy they are to put it on (or remove).

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
Not bad. It’s not steal your soul velvet black - but it’ll do for now.

I need you cover/block the sides of those JTRs. The finish is slightly reflective.
Get a long strip of black velvet that is a few inches wider than the depth of your speaker. Fold the long edges under so that it is slightly wider than your speaker depth. The whole thing will need to be long enough to tuck under the speaker on one side and then wrap all the way around the top of the speaker and back down, so that you can tuck under other side. Does zero damage to the speaker and makes it completely disappear.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Get a long strip of black velvet that is a few inches wider than the depth of your speaker. Fold the long edges under so that it is slightly wider than your speaker depth. The whole thing will need to be long enough to tuck under the speaker on one side and then wrap all the way around the top of the speaker and back down, so that you can tuck under other side. Does zero damage to the speaker and makes it completely disappear.
That’s a fantastic idea. I’m gonna try that for sure. Seems pretty effortless.

·
Registered
10,394 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I searched the forum for black velvet and came across several ways to do it. Paneling seems to be the popular option and stapling it directly on the wall is another way albeit I would need to hide the staplers. Does anyone here try the self adhesive way? Saw several of this option from Amazon and not sure how easy they are to put it on (or remove).
My room looks ok, you can't really see the staples because I spray painted them flat black before loading them. However if I had it to do again I would go slower and buy the tools that my friend Grant used.

@jedimastergrant
Grant can you post links to pics/descriptions (if you have them) for how you did the velvet in your room? It looks so professional.

8081 - 8100 of 8208 Posts