AVS Forum banner

8101 - 8120 of 8208 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
i have real wood floors in my Ht room and have done a red/black theme. anyway i had a black rug which when added to the front area was very good at stopping reflections but didnt cover the entire front area that was exposed to screen reflections... so i took the flat wall black wall paint i used on the walls and ceiling and painted the exposed floor..

i have since bought 54 yards of black velvet.. the only good use of black paint in my HT room is for painting the floor.

·
Registered
645 Posts
All, please help me with figuring out how to get velvet on my ceiling. I want to do something more elegant than to use thumb tack.

You all probably remember me. I've contributed here. Look at post 7773 in this thread where I posted pictures of my project. Below is a sample showing the wavy drapes look of my walls.

1. What type of lightweight 4X8 type board should I use to staple my velvet to?
2. What type of staple gun?
3. How tight should I pull the velvet? Not too tight right? My velvet is the Triple Black.
4. How to I attach the board to the ceiling? Do I screw a black screw into the joists. The screw is then exposed. Is there another way?

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
All, please help me with figuring out how to get velvet on my ceiling. I want to do something more elegant than to use thumb tack.

You all probably remember me. I've contributed here. Look at post 7773 in this thread where I posted pictures of my project. Below is a sample showing the wavy drapes look of my walls.
View attachment 3074542

1. What type of lightweight 4X8 type board should I use to staple my velvet to?
2. What type of staple gun?
3. How tight should I pull the velvet? Not too tight right? My velvet is the Triple Black.
4. How to I attach the board to the ceiling? Do I screw a black screw into the joists. The screw is then exposed. Is there another way?
I ripped 1" x 1.25" strips of wood and made a frame. Stretched the velvet around frame and stapled to the back. Then fastened the frames to the ceiling joists, using only two screws.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I ripped 1" x 1.25" strips of wood and made a frame. Stretched the velvet around frame and stapled to the back. Then fastened the frames to the ceiling joists, using only two screws.
I did the same... used 1x2 from the lumber store and created a frame using a Kreg jig to secure the pieces. I attached the velvet using a pneumatic stapler. I secured my frames to the ceiling (and wall) using French cleats. I posted photos back up in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
645 Posts
This is great. I will build a frame like you two did, wrap the velvet, and screw it into the joist.

What about the exposed screw that went into the velvet and into the joists. Did you just use a black screw to make it disappear?

I need just over 14' for my ceiling width so I will make two of them approx 7' each to make it across. Looks like I'll need 10 in all.

Twelton43 thank you for your into to kreg jig. 😊 I had no idea what you were talking about so I watched a video on pocket holes. The extra strength is amazing. 😊 I won't use it right now but it's nice to know about. Thanks Sir.

As always, thank you also Mike. 😊

·
Registered
645 Posts
Wow, Twelton43, I missed your "French cleats" comment.

I just researched it and boy is that nice. I will not be using it this time but it's definitely valued new knowledge.

You guys are great. 😊

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
This is great. I will build a frame like you two did, wrap the velvet, and screw it into the joist.

What about the exposed screw that went into the velvet and into the joists. Did you just use a black screw to make it disappear?

I need just over 14' for my ceiling width so I will make two of them approx 7' each to make it across. Looks like I'll need 10 in all.

Twelton43 thank you for your into to kreg jig. I had no idea what you were talking about so I watched a video on pocket holes. The extra strength is amazing. I won't use it right now but it's nice to know about. Thanks Sir.

As always, thank you also Mike.
I used velvet “dots” to cover the screw holes. You can’t see them from more than a few feet away.

Prime-Line, Black Products KD 16082 Self Adhesive Textured Plastic Screw Hole Covers (Pack of 53) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WSKAA3M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_McEqDGKP6dVZ1

·
Registered
645 Posts
Fabricland. However their TBV is not as good as SYFabrics and almost the same price, so might as well order from SYFabrics.
I am not super impressed with Sysfabric Triple Black. I am not saying it's bad though. Let me explain below.

My current project uses approx 100 yards.

Back in 2017/2018 I purchased approx 36 yards from Sysfabric.

We got pregnant and my project was put on the back burner. While on the back burner I got the crazy idea to cover every inch of ceiling and every inch of wall so I needed an additional 65 yards to make it to 100 yards.

I saw an ad for Triple Black at my local Hobby Lobby so I took a big piece of Sy's Triple Black to Hobby Lobby to compare. While at Hobby Lobby I DID NOT see a difference except I felt Hobby Lobby was 3% stiffer firmer.

I took some Hobby Lobby Triple Black home and did the same performance test I did in 2017 were I compared 10 or 11 different velvets using my projector projecting an image. There was NO DIFFERENCE therefore I ordered my remaining 65 yards from Hobby Lobby.

My advice is to take your time, get many many samples in, stick them on the wall, and project an image from your projector on them and to make your own decision after you yourself determines which one absorbs the most light.

Therefore, from my experience, Sy's Triple Black is NOT better than another Triple Black that I tested.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Lastly, regarding Triple Black products:

1. Hobby Lobby is normally $16 so you have to wait for it to go on sale to $8.99 or $9.99 to match Sy's price. They do this every 45 days or so.

2. My experience is with Triple Black you get what you pay for and NOT A PENNY MORE.

The link below is from a thread I started in 2016 (I was not aware of this thread) showing velvet I added to a bedroom of a rental we stayed at for 20 months before moving here in 2017.

Look at post 37 for the pictures.

The velvet used here was more expensive, heavier, stronger, firmer than either Triple Black that I tried.

This affects you because with Triple Black it's so thin I could not get a thumb tack to hold firmly.

In the pictures at Post #37 I used thumb tacks and they held fine.

If I could do this all over again I would not go Triple Black cheap.

That's my opinion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am not super impressed with Sysfabric Triple Black. I am not saying it's bad though. Let me explain below.

My current project uses approx 100 yards.

Back in 2017/2018 I purchased approx 36 yards from Sysfabric.

We got pregnant and my project was put on the back burner. While on the back burner I got the crazy idea to cover every inch of ceiling and every inch of wall so I needed an additional 65 yards to make it to 100 yards.

I saw an ad for Triple Black at my local Hobby Lobby so I took a big piece of Sy's Triple Black to Hobby Lobby to compare. While at Hobby Lobby I DID NOT see a difference except I felt Hobby Lobby was 3% stiffer firmer.

I took some Hobby Lobby Triple Black home and did the same performance test I did in 2017 were I compared 10 or 11 different velvets using my projector projecting an image. There was NO DIFFERENCE therefore I ordered my remaining 65 yards from Hobby Lobby.

My advice is to take your time, get many many samples in, stick them on the wall, and project an image from your projector on them and to make your own decision after you yourself determines which one absorbs the most light.

Therefore, from my experience, Sy's Triple Black is NOT better than another Triple Black that I tested.
In the US you might have better options, however up north we unfortunately we don't. I've looked around in fabricland and other velvets and while yes they are cheaper by 10-15% the ones here are not as good. SYFabrics is the cheapest well reviewed velvet that we can get here unfortunately afaik. Correct me if there's cheaper, just as good though :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
In the US you might have better options, however up north we unfortunately we don't. I've looked around in fabricland and other velvets and while yes they are cheaper by 10-15% the ones here are not as good. SYFabrics is the cheapest well reviewed velvet that we can get here unfortunately afaik. Correct me if there's cheaper, just as good though :)
Even the number of Fabricland stores has decreased over the years. I wonder if Michael's would have any black velvet.

I ended up going with SY Fabrics. It was supposed to arrive here today according to tracking but once I paid taxes/brokerage/etc online it changed the delivery status and no longer says it is being delivered today. Anyhow it shall be here in a day or so. I am just using some curtain ibeams from home depot. Using two sets. One to make a ceiling curtain and the other will be for side drapes. My first attempt will be to just use some binder clips on the back of the velvet and then connect those to the railing gliding things (not sure what they are called). My sewing skills are lacking (let's be honest, they are non existent!). Looking forward to the blacked out image.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a family room with a Sony 1080p proj. It has a full left wall with medium red-brown brick with a fireplace, a right side open to a kitchen,that would have all it's lights off when viewing in the evening. The screen wall and back wall have medium brown oak paneling. A full thick black blackout shade is pulled down over a big bay window by the back wall when the proj. is in use. The carpeting is medium brown,but the ceiling is white with dark wood beams from front to back spaced 4ft. apart. I want to have 4' x 6' foam panels placed onto the ceiling between the beams that I can quickly an easily put up when viewing and remove afterwards. I was wondering what kind of velvet or felt cloth I could glue onto such foam panels? what might be some good materials? Is there some spray glue that does not melt foam, so I could tack on some black velvet cloth? Has anyone else tried something like this? Help! , suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Alright team, I tried A lot of SW paints, and I just am not in love with any of them. I am leaning iron ore, but anyone have a better suggestion? I have the ceiling figured out as we have stars with velvet. Just the walls?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Alright team, I tried A lot of SW paints, and I just am not in love with any of them. I am leaning iron ore, but anyone have a better suggestion? I have the ceiling figured out as we have stars with velvet. Just the walls?
My entire room is iron ore. I have quite a few pics in different threads of it - and as I blacked it out.

It’s dark, but not black paint dark and no match for black fabric or velvet.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
1. Hobby Lobby is normally $16 so you have to wait for it to go on sale to $8.99 or $9.99 to match Sy's price. They do this every 45 days or so.
Hobby Lobby website has a permanent 40% off coupon for any one item. So whenever something isn’t on sale 50% off, you can still always get it 40% off.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Another Musou Black video. This time a guy did a small room. Just posted today.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i have real wood floors in my Ht room and have done a red/black theme. anyway i had a black rug which when added to the front area was very good at stopping reflections but didnt cover the entire front area that was exposed to screen reflections... so i took the flat wall black wall paint i used on the walls and ceiling and painted the exposed floor..

i have since bought 54 yards of black velvet.. the only good use of black paint in my HT room is for painting the floor.
You painted your hardwood floors instead of just getting a larger rug?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

8101 - 8120 of 8208 Posts