AVS Forum banner

8121 - 8140 of 8208 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
"DP"... yes i did, i have a rule in my house.. "its my house" haha, partner doesnt care as not her house.

next step as i am doing a re build is to velvet the front stage and ceiling.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Have anyone experiment with black chalk board? Something like this? Good 2ft x 4ft size and seems to be quite convenient to just stack them up and use it as background?

·
Registered
825 Posts
I just finished about 30 threads on black velvet. Some posts said this is the darkest
Plush Triple Velvet BLACK, some said 16 OZ. DUVETYNE 54” WIDE - Dazian, and some said Jo-Ann Fidelio black velvet. And a 4th said "black trunk lining" perhaps something like this Black Automotive Trunk Lining who knows. And a 5th said Blackout EZ Window Covers l The E-Z Way to A Dark Room works great. A 6th said black suede works best.

Is there any consensus between the experts in this dedicated thread, as opposed to scattered threads from the last 15 years, which of those six is actually best? And if it's the Fidelio, is that even still available? Or if I prefer flame retardant, is the Duvetyne my only choice and will that do the job basically as well as the Fidelio? And is 16oz thickness necessary? Im worried tacks wont hold it up on the ceiling.

Regardless of consensus for best material can anyone pretty please recommend the best curtains? Must cover two 8 feet length 10 feet width walls, either all in one piece or two separate pieces each (if there's no downside to that).

My room looks ok, you can't really see the staples because I spray painted them flat black before loading them. However if I had it to do again I would go slower and buy the tools that my friend Grant used.
I will be putting black material on my ceiling soon. What tools do I need to do it right?

Which option can I choose to make the ceiling black that will not cause a lot of dust build up in the material?

·
Registered
825 Posts
There was a post either in this thread or one of the other 30 I pulled up from searching about black velvet that had pictures comparing black paint to black velvet, where it said something like "I know it's hard to believe that's black paint but I swear it is." Does anyone know where to find that post? I lost it and really need it to submit as evidence towards my case to use velvet instead of paint and get other parties with a vote to vote my way, so to speak, heh.

The big concern I'm hearing is dust and how do you vacuum it without sucking the fabric into the vacuum and stuff like that. So if anyone knows one of these velvets or commando fabrics or suedes or trunk linings or anything that performs at the level of black velvet, but that doesnt have any dust problem, that would solve the problem just like that.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
There was a post either in this thread or one of the other 30 I pulled up from searching about black velvet that had pictures comparing black paint to black velvet, where it said something like "I know it's hard to believe that's black paint but I swear it is." Does anyone know where to find that post? I lost it and really need it to submit as evidence towards my case to use velvet instead of paint and get other parties with a vote to vote my way, so to speak, heh.

The big concern I'm hearing is dust and how do you vacuum it without sucking the fabric into the vacuum and stuff like that. So if anyone knows one of these velvets or commando fabrics or suedes or trunk linings or anything that performs at the level of black velvet, but that doesnt have any dust problem, that would solve the problem just like that.
I have used black paint, black felt made for screen boarder, fidelio velvet, joann triple plush and sy fabics triple black velvet. Out of all those the velvets were the darkest with and without light eating nearly all light. Velvet is an interesting material because each one differs beased on which direction the fibers are facing, what veiewing angle you are looking at. Fidelio is the darkest looking straight on, which is why i would recommend it for screen frame, masking and ever surrounding the screen when you are looking directly at it. My SY and Joanns looked darket from the side of the screen, walls and ceiling. When the lights were off, it was all black regardless of how bright the screen got. I stuck with SY since it was the cheapest and looked like s black hole on my ceiling. Anything you do on or around the screen 10 ft out, I would recommend black velvet. If you are building a screen and want the blackest black then you can use Fidelio but it will cost you about $40-50 a yard compared to $9-10 for SY.

Reactions: Patriot666

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have used black paint, black felt made for screen boarder, fidelio velvet, joann triple plush and sy fabics triple black velvet. Out of all those the velvets were the darkest with and without light eating nearly all light. Velvet is an interesting material because each one differs beased on which direction the fibers are facing, what veiewing angle you are looking at. Fidelio is the darkest looking straight on, which is why i would recommend it for screen frame, masking and ever surrounding the screen when you are looking directly at it. My SY and Joanns looked darket from the side of the screen, walls and ceiling. When the lights were off, it was all black regardless of how bright the screen got. I stuck with SY since it was the cheapest and looked like s black hole on my ceiling. Anything you do on or around the screen 10 ft out, I would recommend black velvet. If you are building a screen and want the blackest black then you can use Fidelio but it will cost you about $40-50 a yard compared to $9-10 for SY.
Is dust a problem with any of these? Are any of them more thin and sort of hard, more like plastic or paper consistency rather than fur consistency, so they dont absorb dust but somehow still prevent light reflecting? It was the thing I didnt think of at first but I think the biggest concern at this point is dust.

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
Is dust a problem with any of these? Are any of them more thin and sort of hard, more like plastic or paper consistency rather than fur consistency, so they dont absorb dust but somehow still prevent light reflecting? It was the thing I didnt think of at first but I think the biggest concern at this point is dust.
You can vacuum the panels.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My theater room is 21x21x10

I have a 150” 16:9 screen (so 10’ wide) in the middle of the wall, so about 5.5’ to the side walls from each side of the screen.

How far along the side walls do I need to cover in velvet? I’m trying to estimate how much velvet I need for this. I plan to cover the entire screen wall and a few feet back on the ceiling (how far? Is 6’ back enough?) and as much of the side wall as is necessary.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
My theater room is 21x21x10

I have a 150” 16:9 screen (so 10’ wide) in the middle of the wall, so about 5.5’ to the side walls from each side of the screen.

How far along the side walls do I need to cover in velvet? I’m trying to estimate how much velvet I need for this. I plan to cover the entire screen wall and a few feet back on the ceiling (how far? Is 6’ back enough?) and as much of the side wall as is necessary.
I'd say about 8' on the ceiling will make a noticeable difference. I can't be of much help on side walls, because I only had 18" or so from screen to side wall, so I started with 8' all around, including black carpet. Then I got more velvet and did back wall, and further on sides. I got the last 30 yards to complete my blackout project and just need to start putting it up now...

·
Registered
825 Posts
You can vacuum the panels.
I'm not planning panels that seems like extra work, plus I have three lights recessed in the ceiling so I would need very exact measurement and cutting for the panel. My hope was just to stable velvet across the ceiling including over the lights, then feel with my hand where the hole for the light is and cut the velvet around the hole.

If I just staple it with no panels, can I still vacuum it or will the vacuum suck the material between the staples and cause problems? Or at least make it very difficult/impossible to slide the vacuum over the material?

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
I'm not planning panels that seems like extra work, plus I have three lights recessed in the ceiling so I would need very exact measurement and cutting for the panel. My hope was just to stable velvet across the ceiling including over the lights, then feel with my hand where the hole for the light is and cut the velvet around the hole.

If I just staple it with no panels, can I still vacuum it or will the vacuum suck the material between the staples and cause problems? Or at least make it very difficult/impossible to slide the vacuum over the material?
I would be afraid you would suck the velvet off the ceiling. With that said, I would not worry about dust getting on velvet that is on a ceiling. You may still do what you are wanting to do and use panels. You would need to shim the lights down the same thickness as the panels. Will be more work.

·
Registered
29 Posts

You could also just use the sticky rollers to clean them. Unless you have kids or for some reason an insane amount of dirt particles are getting in your theater it should be fine.

·
Registered
825 Posts
You could also just use the sticky rollers to clean them. Unless you have kids or for some reason an insane amount of dirt particles are getting in your theater it should be fine.
If it were only up to me I would do it, but the idea has lost steam in my household since the last discussion about it. Paint is a yes, not so much with velvet type of fabrics. But I would like to do better than paint.

Is there any middle ground? I saw some sort of window blocking paper or something. Anything that isn't a fabric that I can staple up there that will make it a block hole closer to velvet would, and better than paint, would be great.

·
Registered
165 Posts

I believe you are referring to this post.

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
Sounds like you made something into an issue, that really is not an issue and now it is a no go. Ask your wife this. How often does she dust the ceiling in your house now? If the answer is never, then why does she expect it to become an issue once velvet is added?

·
Registered
825 Posts
I believe you are referring to this post.
Thank you yes I think so.

I also lost another post that compared whaley's, sy velvet, and I think fidelio, of what was more reflective from sides, what from straight on, and it had like rankings in bold letters for each. If anyone knows where that post is. I have to check it might be the last 10 pages of this topic, otherwise it could be anywhere.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sounds like you made something into an issue, that really is not an issue and now it is a no go. Ask your wife this. How often does she dust the ceiling in your house now? If the answer is never, then why does she expect it to become an issue once velvet is added?
I did not make it an issue, I only posted about it after it was made an issue to me.... lol.... and I agree it shouldn't be an issue for most people, but... mitigating factors... rather not get into it... lol although I can feel you and half the thread groaning that even with Obi Wan-Anakin levels of unimpeachable high ground, I still needlessly lost a shouldnt-even-be-a-battle with my wife, and in doing so, doomed men as a collective to permanent demise, but I just want to assure you and everyone that this is actually not the situation in this case, lift the spirits and reveal hope is still alive, but... I don't want to get into it other than to assure that that's not the situation, and that I'm not just saying that :D

Do I have any alternatives to paint and fabric? Or maybe just fabric for a yard in front of the screen, and then something else the rest of the room, would work?

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Here's what my room looks like at the front. Without the flash being on, you can't see that my fabric is layered (it just looks like a black wall). I built multiple "small" panels to fill in gaps and allows me to open up the windows if my wife wants them that way. Funny thing is, this has been in place for over 2+ years and she's asked me exactly zero times to let the light into the room :)

The "before" picture was of my old 16x9 screen.
New screen.jpg
Before.jpg

8121 - 8140 of 8208 Posts