Look how transparent this is

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Everyone

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Look how transparent this is

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
So there is no sheen with that stretch velvet? if so then that is great as every stretch velvet I have come across has had a reflective sheen that would defeat the purpose.

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
I didn't notice any while playing video. It didn't catch my attention. I'll play something tonight and take some pics to show and let's see if you guys can point out which ones are tripple velvet and which one is this stretch velvet.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I didn't notice any while playing video. It didn't catch my attention. I'll play something tonight and take some pics to show and let's see if you guys can point out which ones are tripple velvet and which one is this stretch velvet.
It’d be more helpful if you could do a side by side picture with some traditional velvet in a normally lit room. At least for me. I want to see if the comparison is the same as what I have access to at Hobby Lobby

·
Registered
170 Posts
I ordered 14 yards to test it out. I don’t currently have velvet on my walls to compare it to, just samples. But I will see how much it reduces the light bouncing off ceiling in front of screen and how it works as a screen wall covering.

If it works, I’ll use it instead of duvetyne to cover my walls and ceiling

·
Registered
344 Posts
Also in the bottom right you can see the wall that isnt covered yet. That is matte black paint, to show how much of a difference the black velvet makes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EEJSG90/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Is the velvet I used as someone else on here recommended it a long time ago. They tested it vs material that cost 2,3x as much and while its not the same performance it was close enough that the price difference made it a solid choice.
How is that fabric for acoustical transparency?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Interested to see how this works out. I was thinking of simply using black spandex panels for the rest of my front wall as I need something AT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Interested to see how this works out. I was thinking of simply using black spandex panels for the rest of my front wall as I need something AT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’d be more helpful if you could do a side by side picture with some traditional velvet in a normally lit room. At least for me. I want to see if the comparison is the same as what I have access to at Hobby Lobby
So there is no sheen with that stretch velvet? if so then that is great as every stretch velvet I have come across has had a reflective sheen that would defeat the purpose.
I did more testing last night and I can see that its not as black as tripple velvet. Also I could see the sheen but I was able to get around it by rotating the side. Right side panel was showing sheen and I flipped it up side down and that solved the issue.
So this is what I'd say. Its very good for AT but its not as good as tripple black velvet. But if you use this one all around, you won't have any issue as long as you use proper angle to avoid any sheen. If you don't care about AT, go with other options but if you need AT, this is a good velvet to go with.
After putting this AT velvet on floor and also some more area around the screen, images got crazy pop. I love my RS 500 :) I can see how amazing the change is after putting some more Black Velvet around. I had some to begin with. I mean I had ceiling/sides/floor covered but up to 2 feet. But now I did some more and it made a HUGE difference. Its like I got a new very expensive and much more bright projector :).

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sounds like this stuff will be really good for the screen wall. Also for some sound panels up front in the line of sight of the screen. I’ll be ordering some to try out on my screen wall. Also to make some acoustic panels for the first reflection area. Rest of the first 11 foot of my room will be triple black velvet. After that I’m making panels with black and probably gray. Probably use this for that also. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
377 Posts
How is that fabric for acoustical transparency?
Honestly I have no idea.
My speakers are behind my screen, and I do not have the fabric over the speakers behind my screen as my screen is AT and makes it so you cant see them already so I didnt have a need to cover those also.

I do have panels with the speaker size cut out so that it is only the cloth in front of 2 subs but I havent noticed any difference there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First, thanks to everyone Lon this thread who has posted what they’ve done. Every room and situation is different, so every idea may help someone.

After deciding to add more black to my home theater, I decided on getting a black rug to cover the existing beige wall-to-wall carpet. Not only was this significantly cheaper than getting new carpet ($189 vs $thousands) but for resale value, should a future home buyer not want to use the room as a home theater, it’s easy to roll up the 12’ x 15’ and you’ve got beige carpet below.

I haven’t gotten Royal Black Velvet yet, as I’m waiting for a sale, but to scratch the black itch I picked up black felt. It’s super easy to cut, lightweight and drapes similar to other fabrics. So I put that above and to the sides of my screen for now.

In this picture you can see how much darker the rug is from the black acoustic fabric that is under the screen.
View attachment 3113812

Here is a shot showing just how bad my beige carpet was, compared to the new area rug.
View attachment 3113813
And last, a picture from behind the first row of seats. View attachment 3113814

Thanks again for everyone’s help.
Where'd you get that rug!? It's extraaaa black

·
Premium Member
13,357 Posts
I have been bothered for a LONG time by the gridwork for my dropped ceiling. Even though it's black, it's still much more reflective than the ceiling tiles. You can see the nature of the problem in the following pic. To take this pic, I had to reaaly light up the room so things appear much brighter than they really are. The drapes are dark burgundy and very dark. The floor is a very dark brown, and not the brownish-green color it appears to be in the pic, (and the wool rug has been removed). Most importantly for this discussion, the ceiling tiles appear brighter in the pic than they do with the normal lighting in my theater:

The tiles are Certainteed, Capaul Open Plan, in "Black Nubby" with a Light Reflectivity of 0.03.

The tiles themselves are pretty dark, and disappear well with the lights off, but the gridwork does not disappear. It reflects light and it changes intensity depending on the brightness of the image. As scenes change, I get distracted by the reflections of the gridwork "flashing" above the screen. I have been contemplating how to make it less reflective, thinking I might repaint it with some of the black, low light reflectivity paint that has been discussed in this thread. The other day, I was rummaging around in my workshop and came across some left over self adhesive Velcro. I noticed that the "loop" side seemed very black. Hmmm... :geek: I thought to myself, "I wonder how well this stuff would darken the gridwork?" So I cut a 3" piece and put it on the ceiling. It was only 3/4" wide and my gridwork is 1", so it was little too narrow, but that only helped the evaluation. It definitely made that spot of the gridwork much darker than the black paint. Seeing this, I immediately went to the internet to find long lengths of 1" Velcro. It turns out that Velcro doesn't actually make such a product, but there are other hook-and-loop makers that do. I ended up buying this 1" x 15' stuff:

You can clearly see that the "loop" side is less reflective than the "hook" side, and it was the "loop" side that I was after. This stuff comes in 15' lengths and I needed 5 boxes to cover all the problematic gridwork. It arrived last night, so bright and early this morning I got up and started the application process. Other than a stiff neck from looking up for 2 hours, it went up quite easily and I'm very happy with the result! The self-adhesive made the job fairly simple, and I only cut one piece too short that I had to replace. I did the first 3 rows of crosspieces the full width of the screen, (which turned out to be (4) 2' sections or 8', I then cut the short pieces to length to cover the 2' "vertical" sections between the crosspieces.

This first picture shows all the gridwork except for one 2' section covered with the hook tape. The picture makes the problem look somewhat worse than it actually is but you get the idea:

(The horizontal blue line is a reflection off the bottom of my retractable screen case, so ignore that for a moment.) It's pretty obvious that the reflection off the gridwork is problematic, but also note the semicircular halo at the top of the screen. This is the effect of the reflection off the gridwork back down onto the screen. Again, this looks worse in the picture than it is in actuality, but it does exist.

This next picture is after that least piece of gridwork is covered.

Not only is the gridwork visibly gone, but the screen reflection is gone along with it. I sat my wife down in the sweet spot and asked her what she thought. She had been listening to me complain about the gridwork reflection for years and had put it off to my OCD about my theater. She had never been bothered by it or even really noticed it until I pointed it out to her. She told me she wouldn't bother to fix it and I should just get used to it. :confused:

As soon as she sat down, the first thing she said was... "I think you need to go one more row! I can still see some reflection out to here."... pointing to the ceiling gridwork just in front of the LP. So I did what she said... 😁

This might not be quite as good a solution as black velvet on the ceiling, but it's much better than it was, and I'm quite pleased with the result. Anyone with a dropped ceiling and black ceiling tiles can consider this "fix" to eliminate the reflection off the black gridwork. My next task is to order some 2" wide hook-and-loop to cover the bottom of my screen case to eliminate that reflection as well.

Craig

Edit: So after looking closely at the reflection off the screen case, I noticed that it only seemed to be coming from the lower front side of the curvature of the case. I covered that first inch with the leftover 1" tape and..
Voila! It's fixed too!

😁

·
Registered
695 Posts
Good job making the grid lines disappear.
Hey, congrats on your drapes.
I am draping my walls also.
I like that your draps are very wavy. Looks expensive.

·
Premium Member
13,357 Posts
Good job making the grid lines disappear.
Hey, congrats on your drapes.
I am draping my walls also.
I like that your draps are very wavy. Looks expensive.
The drapes are "triple fullness" meaning that the amount of material is 3X the length of the covered wall. Bunching them back is what adds the waviness. It made the material 3X as expensive, but I saved a LOT on labor costs. My wife made them! A lot of guys have to deal with WAF... not me. I deal with WEF, Wife Encouragement Factor! 😁

Craig

·
Registered
817 Posts
The drapes are "triple fullness" meaning that the amount of material is 3X the length of the covered wall. Bunching them back is what adds the waviness. It made the material 3X as expensive, but I saved a LOT on labor costs. My wife made them! A lot of guys have to deal with WAF... not me. I deal with WEF, Wife Encouragement Factor!

Craig
Some don't think about that when measuring for the width on curtains. You don't want them just long enough. You want to go over so they can have thr back and forth curvature when fully open.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,357 Posts
Some don't think about that when measuring for the width on curtains. You don't want them just long enough. You want to go over so they can have thr back and forth curvature when fully open.
Or, fully closed... or stationary, like mine.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm not gonna sweat it.
The picture below is roughly 1.9X.

I have an extra 44" wide panel I can put on each side wall which will get me over 2X. This isn't bad but your 3X is definitely and noticeably better.

Attachments

8461 - 8480 of 8528 Posts