AVS Forum banner

8481 - 8500 of 8528 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,357 Posts
Fantastic idea on the velcro. I was going to try and wrap my grid in velvet, but the velcro sounds like it'll be much easier to implement.
I was thinking to either paint it, or cover a sheet of plywood in velvet and hang it under that part of the ceiling. The velcro was easier, cheaper and equally effective. :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
I thought of making velvet panels, but the 4 can lights that will be located in front of the screen would have made life difficult. I do have adhesive backed velvet sheeting for the can lights.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I was thinking to either paint it, or cover a sheet of plywood in velvet and hang it under that part of the ceiling. The velcro was easier, cheaper and equally effective. :)
Could probably use the self Adhesive velvet flocking material they use for jewelry boxes and just cut it in strips. But the fuzzy side of velcro does the job. I got the flocking for the housing of my screen but haven't put it up yet. I didn't like how the velvet draped and figured the Adhesive flocking would conform better.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,357 Posts
Could probably use the self Adhesive velvet flocking material they use for jewelry boxes and just cut it in strips. But the fuzzy side of velcro does the job. I got the flocking for the housing of my screen but haven't put it up yet. I didn't like how the velvet draped and figured the Adhesive flocking would conform better.
Flocking may work better for a screen frame. But for my purpose of blackening my ceiling grid, cutting and applying "strips" would be much harder than applying one long strip of exactly the right width that covers the entire length up to 15 feet. Just peel the tape off the back and apply while keeping it in a straight line. The stiff neck would be the same either way. ;):D

Craig

Reactions: dbpaddler

·
Registered
695 Posts
Quick question all. Wondering if I am the only one that worries about this.

Do you ever consider getting a "not so high image quality" TV because a "high image quality" TV can ruin your expectations from your projector.

My $600 Roku Family Room TV just broke and Costco is refunding me in full. This time I am considering a $1200 range TV such as the new Vizio PQX for $1279 at Costco.

Maybe I should keep the cheaper Vizio PQ for $979 that is being delivered this Saturday. This PQ TV may be closer to what my Epson 6040UB can do with my totally black velvet HT.

Versus the PQX, or any OLED TV, which I am fearful will make me hate my projector.

Does anyone else think about this?

·
Premium Member
13,357 Posts
Quick question all. Wondering if I am the only one that worries about this.

Do you ever consider getting a "not so high image quality" TV because a "high image quality" TV can ruin your expectations from your projector.

My $600 Roku Family Room TV just broke and Costco is refunding me in full. This time I am considering a $1200 range TV such as the new Vizio PQX for $1279 at Costco.

Maybe I should keep the cheaper Vizio PQ for $979 that is being delivered this Saturday. This PQ TV may be closer to what my Epson 6040UB can do with my totally black velvet HT.

Versus the PQX, or any OLED TV, which I am fearful will make me hate my projector.

Does anyone else think about this?
There is no projector/screen combo that can mimic the picture quality of a flat panel TV, ANY flat panel TV, either in brightness, depth of black levels or color saturation. Some can come close, like the JVC 4K projectors, but they'll never match flat panel TV's. Having said that, comparing the scale of a 120" or 150" screen/projector to a 65", 75" or even 83" TV is not a fair comparison either. Picture quality considerations aside, the sheer size of a projector screen makes consideration of a TV a difficult comparison. If your projector doesn't measure up to your flat panel TV in terms of picture quality, that should come as no surprise. By the same token, if your flat panel TV doesn't provide the same kind of immersive experience as a large screen and projector, that should come as no surprise either.

This thread is about optimizing the room to take best advantage of projector/screen systems by reducing/eliminating the contrast-robbing light reflections off the surfaces of the room. The same can also apply to flat panel TVs, but rarely do people go to the same lengths as projector/screen owners. They're completely different animals.

I would certainly not compromise the image quality of the TV because I was worried about the TV outshining the PJ. In our home, our TV is used for different viewing purposes. We watch news, weather and other casual content on the TV, and go downstairs to the theater for movies, concert videos and other such content that benefits from a larger screen and more immersive experience. Equally importantly, the theater has the 9.3.4 sound system where the TV has a Sonos soundbar with powered woofer. There is no comparison there either.

Craig

Reactions: EdgarQ

·
Registered
695 Posts
Geez, extremely sensible rationale Craig.

I've spent too much time thinking about what the TV can do better than a projector.

I need to focus more on what he projector does better which is total immersion and size.

No TV, probably in anyone's house, is ever floating in a sea of blackness like the velvetted rooms here in this thread.

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hi,
I ordered a couple of these rolls to mitigate shine from my speakers.
VL flock sheet 400 mm x 950 mm: Amazon.de: Camera & Photo

Have any of you had any experience with "VL flock sheet" from KOYO ORIENT JAPAN CO., LTD.?
Ultra Black Light-absorbing products

Here is a video demonstrating the amazing light absorbing flock sheet
"It's total reflection rate in the visible light range is less than 0.5%"

I don't have any experience with that flock but I did just get in a sample of some flock from AVOutlet and it compares fairly well to the Hobby Lobby triple velvet I have on hand. I'm going to test applying it to my wall today and then taking it off this weekend. I want to see how sticky it is and if it will ruin the drywall underneath upon removal. Probably not too accurate a test since the flock won't be removed for years and the glue will bond better over that time, but better than no test.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Always. It's one of the reasons I hesitate to go to get togethers because I'll know what I could be missing out on.
Like someone else has said, the immersion aspect of a big screen with tons of black velvet is just more important, I think. While the contrast may not be as pristine (and color, etc.) the size really pulls me in, which is why I don't even have a TV, just a projector.

Hi,
I ordered a couple of these rolls to mitigate shine from my speakers.
VL flock sheet 400 mm x 950 mm: Amazon.de: Camera & Photo

Have any of you had any experience with "VL flock sheet" from KOYO ORIENT JAPAN CO., LTD.?
Ultra Black Light-absorbing products

Here is a video demonstrating the amazing light absorbing flock sheet
"It's total reflection rate in the visible light range is less than 0.5%"
Typically, these kind of specialty materials like VL flock sheet are very expensive OR not practical. I know for the paint (and some like it), it is reasonably priced, but it is very delicate and so would scratch easy if applied to walls.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The VL flock or IR Flock is not that delicate to handle, this guy even made clothes out of his flock.

The cleaning recommendations is as follow:
Q: How do I clean it?
A: We recommend cleaning our VL Flock Sheet with an adhesive lint-roller or by dry-cleaning. We do not recommend washing as this will most likely drop its performance.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The VL flock or IR Flock is not that delicate to handle, this guy even made clothes out of his flock.

The cleaning recommendations is as follow:
Q: How do I clean it?
A: We recommend cleaning our VL Flock Sheet with an adhesive lint-roller or by dry-cleaning. We do not recommend washing as this will most likely drop its performance.

That does look different than the paint products I've inquired about, namely "BLK3.0"

·
Registered
518 Posts
That does look different than the paint products I've inquired about, namely "BLK3.0"
I looked into that paint. From the reviews, real world performance does not match what is seen in videos. I'd be curious if anyone here takes the plunge and compares it to velvet/Roscoe paint/etc.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I've been able to paint over scuffs perfectly now and it works.. The trick is to use the same roller and do not press very hard against the wall. Lightly pressing, roll and fade the paint into the wall.

Do not use a brush as it will leave streaks you have to use the same roller..

Make sure you spend time mixing and blending the can before starting.. And lastly make sure to use the original can as every batch can have a slightly different tone..

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
695 Posts
There is no projector/screen combo that can mimic the picture quality of a flat panel TV, ANY flat panel TV, either in brightness, depth of black levels or color saturation. Some can come close, like the JVC 4K projectors, but they'll never match flat panel TV's.

Craig
It's funny you said this about JVC Craig.

Two of my biggest regrets are:
1. Using the cheap Triple Black stuff versus just buying Joanne's Royalty.
2. Buying a as yet still unopened Epson 6040 with 3 year manufacturer warranty instead of buying a JVC which is where my heart has always been.

I cannot change the velvet regret since it is cut and up hanging already however I am considering selling the still unopened Epson 6040 for a $6K/7K range JVC.

When I purchased the Triple Black and the Epson I was more financially constrained however those constraints are gone now.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Would you install that with spray adhesive or staples?
Not sure what you mean Friend. 😊
My walls are hanging drapes.
My celilng consists of ten 37"X85" panels made of 2"X2" wood. The velvet is stapled on these. These wood panels though are not nailed or screwed but are held together by wood glue. Only 2 screws are needed per panel on each end to screw them into the ceiling joist.

A seamstress lady from Craigslist sewed up my velvet panels.

Below is the door to my HT. The velvet is on a track and it wheel rolls up and down the track. To cover the door I just move the velvet over it.

Attachments

8481 - 8500 of 8528 Posts