AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick introduction on where I'm coming from. I speak English and that's it. A lot of friends who visit my house speak Chinese and that's it. So when it comes to watching movies, one of us ends up reading while we watch. :)


So here's an issue of mine I wouldn't mind trying to fix. As you know, with Blu-ray we're getting more subtitle options than we had before. The problem is, the subtitles included on the disc aren't documented well at all.


For example, I was going see if Mr. and Mrs. Smith had Chinese subtitles on Buy.com:

http://www.buy.com/prod/mr-and-mrs-s...203922146.html


The only problem is not all of the subtitles are listed. Heck, Fox's own Blu-ray page offers no info whatsoever on the tech specs of the disc. So you're left trying to find an image of the back cover or trying other sites like Amazon wondering if the listings are accurate. For crying out loud, Kung Fu Hustle has NO Chinese subtitles so I can't leave anything for granted until I have the disc playing and cycle through to see what's actually there. I know a lot of people dog Fox releases, but they consistently have the most subtitle options and for that I'm grateful.


So I would like to try maintaining a list of Blu-rays that contain Chinese subtitles. I think it would be helpful to have threads for the lesser languages to be highlighted and since Chinese is in my household, I would be happy to maintain a list for the discs with Chinese subs if people would post.


Naturally a thread for French or Spanish subtitles would be nearly meaningless since basically all discs have them, but for languages like Portuguese or Thai, this would be helpful for people looking for lesser publicized features if someone would want to start threads for those as well.


So here's my lame first attempt at a list, others are encouraged to join in (and point out any mistakes, there's got to be a lot) :


All that I require is that you have or have viewed the subtitles in yours or someone else's system. Specifically I find most online sources inaccurate in this regard.


Also, it's worth pointing out that this thread is for REGION 1 / North American released discs.


Discs where it is not established whether the characters are traditional or simplified will be left unmarked. A mostly accurate assumption is to expect traditional characters.


Blu-ray Films with Chinese Subtitles


(T) - Traditional Chinese Characters

(S) - Simplified Chinese Characters

(M) - Mandarin (Technically there isn't a written language just for Mandarin, this is most likely Traditional Chinese Characters)

(C) - CANTONESE (NOTE: This tends to be for FOX titles only. Cantonese would indicate certain slang would be included but most have indicated that this is not the case.)


Blu-ray Films with Chinese Subtitles


(AT) - Has an actual Chinese audio track



------------------------------


12 Rounds (C) (M)

20 Million Miles to Earth

21

27 Dresses

28 Days Later

28 Weeks Later

2001: A Space Odyssey (T)

30 Days of Night

50 First Dates (T)

6th Day, The

7 Seconds

7th voyage of Sinbad, The (T)

500 Days of Summer (T)

Across the Universe

Adventureland

Adventures of Baron Munchausen, The

Africa: The Serengeti

Alaska: Spirit of the Wild

Aliens in the Attic (T)(some Cantonese slang in translation)

Alvin and the Chipmunks (C)(T)

Aliens vs Predator : Requiem (C)(T)

All About Steve (T)

Antarctica: An Adventure of a Different Nature

Appleseed: Ex Machina

Arlington Road

Australia (T)(C)

Australia: Land Beyond Time

Avatar:Collector's Edition (C)(M)

Babylon Ad

Batman: The Movie (1966) [Special Edition]

Batman Begins

Battle of Britain

Beetlejuice

Benchwarmers, The (T)

Berlin Concert: Live from the Waldbuhne, The

Big

Big Fish (T)

Black Hawk Down (T)

Blade Runner (T)

Blue Streak

Bonnie and Clyde

Bram Stoker's Dracula (T)

Bride Wars

Broken Arrow (C)

Broken Trail (2006)

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Can't Hardly Wait

Casino

Casino Royale (T)

Celine Dion: Live in Las Vegas - A New Day

Chain Reaction

CJ7 (subtitles AND Chinese Language track)

Cinderella Man

Click (T)

Clockwork Orange, A

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (T)

Closer (T)

Chronicles of Narnia - Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The (T)

Chronicles of Narnia - Prince Caspian (AT)

Chungking Express (Cantonese audio only, no chinese subtitles, English Subtitles)

Commando

Confession of a Shopaholic

Covenant, The

Cruel Intentions

Cyrus

Daddy Day Care

Daredevil

Day After Tommorrow (C)

Day the Earth Stood Still, The

Dodgeball

Devil's Own, The

Die Hard (C)

Die Hard 2 (C)

Die Hard 3 (With a Vengeance) (C)

Die Hard 4 (Live Free or Die Hard) (C)

Dragon Ball: Evolution (C)(M)

Doubt

The Edge

Elizabeth (S)(T)

Eragon

Eraser

Eyes Wide Shut

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (C)

Fantastic Mr. Fox, The

Fargo (C) (M)

Few Good Men, A (T)

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (T)

Fifth Element, The (T)

Fight Club

Finding Neverland

First Knight

FistFul of Dollars, A (C) (M) NOTE: It looks like the Mandarin is the Taiwanese subtitles so therefore both subtitles are in Traditional (non-simplified) characters

Fly, The

French Connection, The

French Connection 2, The

From Hell

Full Metal Jacket (T)

Gattaca (T)

Get Smart (T)

Ghost Rider (T)

Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, The (C) (M)

Groundhog Day

Hancock

Harry Potter and the Camber of Secrets (T)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (T)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (T)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (T)

Hidalgo

Hitch (T)

Hitman (C)

Horton Hears a Who

House Bunny, The

House of Fury (C) / English Audio, (T) / (S) / English Sub

How the West Was Won

Hulk

Ice Age

I Know What You Did Last Summer

I, Robot (C)

Identity

Independence Day (C)

I STILL Know What You Did Last Summer

Jerry MaGuire

Jewel of the Nile

Jumper

Kill Bill Vol. 1

Kill Bill Vol. 2

Knight's Tale, A (T)

Lakeview Terrace

Layer Cake (T)

Legend of Zorro

Life of Brian

Little Miss Sunshine

Live Free or Die Hard (C)

Lost Boys, The

Love Guru, The

Made of Honor

Man on Fire

Marine 2, The (T)

Marley and Me

Marmaduke (C) (M)

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Maximum Risk (T)(C)

Max Payne

Meet Dave

Memoirs of a Geisha (T)

Me Myself & Irene

Men in Black

Mr. and Mrs. Smith (C)

Napolean Dynamite

Narnia 2 : Prince Caspian

National Security

National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets

Never Say Never Again

Night At the Museum (C)

Ocean's 13

Office Space

Open Season 2

Paprika

Passion of the Christ, The

Pathfinder (C)

Patton

Perfect Storm, The

Perhaps Love (Audio AND subtitles)

Pineapple Express

Pink Panther, The

Pink Panther 2, The (C) (M)

Point Break

Poltergeist

Post Grad (C) (M)

Predators (C) (M)

Pretty Woman

Proposal, The (T)

Quantum of Solace

Race to Witch Mountain (S) (T)

Reign Over Me

Replacement Killers, The (T)

Resident Evil 3: Extinction (S)

Resident Evil: Degeneration

Robocop (C)

Romancing the Stone

Rookie, The

Ronin

Running with Scissors

Say Anything (C) (M)

Serenity

Shawshank Redemption, The

Shutter

Sideways

Siege, The (C)

Silence of the Lambs, The

Simpson's Movie, The

Sin City

Spiderman

Spiderman 2

Spiderman 3 (T)

Species

Starship Troopers 3

Stealth (T)

Step Brothers

Stranger Than Fiction

Street Kings

Sunshine

Superbad (T)

Super Troopers

S.W.A.T.

Tailor of Panama

Tears of the Sun

Terminator, The (T)

There's Something About Mary (C) (M)

13 Going On 30

This Christmas

Troy: Director's Cut (T)

Ultraviolet (T)

Underworld:Evolution (T)

Unfaithful

Valkyrie

Vanishing Point

Vantage Point

Vertical Limit (T)

Walk Hard

Water Horse: Legend of the Deep, The

What Happens in Vegas

Wild China

Wizard of Oz, The (T)

World is Not Enough, The

X-Files: Fight the Future

X-Files: I want to believe

X-men

X-men 2: X-men United

X-men 3: The Last Stand (new version)

X-men Origins: Wolverine

XXX

You Don't Mess With The Zohan

Young Frankenstein

-------------------------



Warning titles:


Kung Fu Hustle, Chungking Express - Only has a Cantonese and English track with no Chinese subtitles so the majority of the Chinese population can't view this disc. (Since most don't speak Cantonese)


House of Flying Daggers, Warriors of Heaven and Earth, Curse of the Golden Flower, and Kung Fu Hustle contain no Chinese subtitles of any kind.


Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: Ultimate Edition and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Ultimate Edition do NOT contain Chinese subtitles despite the inclusion of them on many other Potter titles.

Incorrectly labeled titles:

Happening, The - Says it has Mandarin subs on the case, but it actually DOES NOT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Thanks for this list! I'd like to share some Blu-Rays with my parents, but they really can't understand English very well, so this is a great help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
There's different Chinese options on blu-ray also. Cantonese and Mandarin. Sometimes it's not clear which one is included. Also, a rare example like Resident Evil 3 has simplified Chinese (which is more like a mistake I think, as most other discs released are traditional Chinese and warning cards are still in traditional Chinese). Info like these also helps. Just my suggestion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,857 Posts
KU Hustle, HoFD, Warriors of Heaven and Earth and Curse of the Golden Flowers, all from Sony do not have any Chinese subtitles.


I already wrote to Paidgeek twice at Blu-ray Forum about the unsatisfactory situation of Chinese films on Blu-ray not having any Chinese subtitles and when they are present, sometimes mislabelled as Cantonese and Mandarin subtitles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel_wu /forum/post/13765987


There's different Chinese options on blu-ray also. Cantonese and Mandarin. Sometimes it's not clear which one is included. Also, a rare example like Resident Evil 3 has simplified Chinese (which is more like a mistake I think, as most other discs released are traditional Chinese and warning cards are still in traditional Chinese). Info like these also helps. Just my suggestion.

I was thinking of an idea of adding a key. S=Simplified, T=Traditional


Maybe to start, I'll only add it to titles we're sure of what the characters are.


I've noticed Fox always labels their subs as Cantonese where as best as I can tell, there's no Cantonese slang present and it should probably be labeled as either traditional or simplified.


Thanks for the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca /forum/post/13766181


KU Hustle, HoFD, Warriors of Heaven and Earth and Curse of the Golden Flowers, all from Sony do not have any Chinese subtitles.


I already wrote to Paidgeek twice at Blu-ray Forum about the unsatisfactory situation of Chinese films on Blu-ray not having any Chinese subtitles and when they are present, sometimes mislabelled as Cantonese and Mandarin subtitles.

Notes added, thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
I just rented Superbad yesterday and it does have Traditional Chinese Subtitle....I actually thought it was pretty funny how they translated most of the "organ" related terms in Chinese...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I update some of your BD list.


(T) - Traditional Chinese Characters

(S) - Simplified Chinese Characters

(C) - CANTONESE

------------------------------


2001: A Space Odyssey(T)

30 Days of Night

The 6th Day

A Clockwork Orange

Across the Universe

Alvin and the Chipmunks(C)(T)

Aliens vs Predator : Requiem(C)(T)

Black Hawk Down(T)

Blade Runner(T)

Bonnie and Clyde

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Casino Royale(T)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind(T)

Day After Tommorrow(C)

The Devil's Own

Eyes Wide Shut

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer(C)

The Fifth Element(T)

First Knight

Full Metal Jacket(T)

Gattaca(T)

Ghost Rider(T)

Harry Potter and the Camber of Secrets(T)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire(T)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix(T)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban(T)

Hitch(T)

Hitman(C)

Independence Day(C)

Ice Age

I - Robot(C)

Jumper

A Knight's Tale(T)

Life of Brian

Live Free or Die Hard(C)

Man on Fire

Mr. and Mrs. Smith(C)

Ocean's 13

Paprika

The Patriot---no Chinese subtitle

Resident Evil 3: Extinction (S)

The Simpson's Movie

Spiderman 3(T)

Stealth(T)

Superbad (T)

Troy: Director's Cut(T)

Ultraviolet(T)

Underworld:Evolution(T)

50 First Dates(T)

The Benchwarmers(T)

Click(T)

Vertical Limit(T)

Big Fish(T)

Layer Cake(T)

Closer(T)

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (T)

A Few Good Men (T)

The Replacement Killers (T)

Memoirs of a Geisha (T)

Bram Stoker's Dracula (T)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,839 Posts
This is definitely interesting stuff. I've been tagging all subtitles on my website as straight "Chinese" since, in my cultural ignorance I did not realize that there was more than one written system (although I am aware of the Mandarin / Cantonese spoken split). If I understand the situation correctly, Traditional Chinese will be the most common character set for U.S. releases?


Part of the problem may be that the three letter language code used to identify the subtitle language on disc is defined by the ISO 639-2 spec, which as far as I know only has a single three-character code "zho" for "Chinese" : Wikipedia , Library of Congress (but, hey, at least they have Klingon listed). This is problematic, since it seems the only way to determine the actual script used is to rely on the studios to correctly label their product (ha!) or to actually put eyeballs to the screen.


At the moment, I have 115 titles tagged with "Chinese" subtitles , 6 titles with Cantonese audio and 9 titles with Mandarin audio , if you would like to add these titles to your list to investigate.


Finally, I would like to say that dvdempire.com is probably your best source for "back covers" for whatever that is worth. Anyway, great idea for a thread and it would be interesting to see treatment for other neglected or misunderstood languages that have nuances that we (and the studios!) might not all be aware of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by placenta2 /forum/post/13776109


I update some of your BD list.


(T) - Traditional Chinese Characters

(S) - Simplified Chinese Characters

(C) - CANTONESE

------------------------------


2001: A Space Odyssey(T)

30 Days of Night

The 6th Day

A Clockwork Orange

Across the Universe

Alvin and the Chipmunks(C)(T)

Aliens vs Predator : Requiem(C)(T)

Black Hawk Down(T)

Blade Runner(T)

Bonnie and Clyde

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Casino Royale(T)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind(T)

Day After Tommorrow(C)

The Devil's Own

Eyes Wide Shut

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer(C)

The Fifth Element(T)

First Knight

Full Metal Jacket(T)

Gattaca(T)

Ghost Rider(T)

Harry Potter and the Camber of Secrets(T)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire(T)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix(T)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban(T)

Hitch(T)

Hitman(C)

Independence Day(C)

Ice Age

I - Robot(C)

Jumper

A Knight's Tale(T)

Life of Brian

Live Free or Die Hard(C)

Man on Fire

Mr. and Mrs. Smith(C)

Ocean's 13

Paprika

The Patriot---no Chinese subtitle

Resident Evil 3: Extinction (S)

The Simpson's Movie

Spiderman 3(T)

Stealth(T)

Superbad (T)

Troy: Director's Cut(T)

Ultraviolet(T)

Underworld:Evolution(T)

50 First Dates(T)

The Benchwarmers(T)

Click(T)

Vertical Limit(T)

Big Fish(T)

Layer Cake(T)

Closer(T)

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (T)

A Few Good Men (T)

The Replacement Killers (T)

Memoirs of a Geisha (T)

Bram Stoker's Dracula (T)

Dude, that's much appreciated! First posted edited. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
913 Posts
If you piss her off she could really sabotage your conversations.


I know you mentioned Kung Fu Hustle up there. I think the Korean version has simplified Chinese Subs (unless this listing is wrong.)

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004601267/


Also, the Korean version is uncensored, the movie in its original form, the US version has a handful of seconds of violence cut out for whatever reason.


I own the Korean version (it's region free and plays fine on my US PS3.)


If you'd like I can pop it in when I get home from work and verify whether or not it has them (or verify that at least something comes up on the screen when that option is selected, I wouldn't be able to tell if it's actually simplified Chinese as opposed to traditional Chinese, Korean, or Japanese.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky-Dinkins /forum/post/13779769


If you piss her off she could really sabotage your conversations.


I know you mentioned Kung Fu Hustle up there. I think the Korean version has simplified Chinese Subs (unless this listing is wrong.)

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004601267/


Also, the Korean version is uncensored, the movie in its original form, the US version has a handful of seconds of violence cut out for whatever reason.


I own the Korean version (it's region free and plays fine on my US PS3.)


If you'd like I can pop it in when I get home from work and verify whether or not it has them (or verify that at least something comes up on the screen when that option is selected, I wouldn't be able to tell if it's actually simplified Chinese as opposed to traditional Chinese, Korean, or Japanese.)

It'd be appreciated. It's easy to tell if it's Chinese VS Korean or Japanese subtitles. If you see a lot of "O" looking characters it's not Chinese and is probably one of the other two. Unlike Chinese and Japanese, Korean actually has an alphabet and you'll see the same characters over and over.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
I think the American version of Kung Fu Hustle also has Chinese subs. I know I was pissed that the original Cantonese was only in PCM, so I couldn't have 5.1 with my PS3 (and optical cable.) It was also funny when my girlfriend said, "It's not in Chinese!" and I didn't know what she meant at first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 /forum/post/13780859


I think the American version of Kung Fu Hustle also has Chinese subs. I know I was pissed that the original Cantonese was only in PCM, so I couldn't have 5.1 with my PS3 (and optical cable.) It was also funny when my girlfriend said, "It's not in Chinese!" and I didn't know what she meant at first.

Actually, it doesn't. We were going to sit down and watch the Blu-ray with my mother-in-law and couldn't. She doesn't speak Cantonese, the disk doesn't have a Mandarin language track, and it didn't have any Chinese subs either.


So we had to watch something else instead. It was kind of embarrassing. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
A small note about the different Chinese subs is that although they can be subdivided into Cantonese and Traditional or Simplified Mandarin, people who know Cantonese or Mandarin can usually understand all three types of subtitles. I know the Cantonese ones sometimes use diction that may be slightly awkward to Mandarin speakers, they are still comprehensible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie /forum/post/13781959


Actually, it doesn't. We were going to sit down and watch the Blu-ray with my mother-in-law and couldn't. She doesn't speak Cantonese, the disk doesn't have a Mandarin language track, and it didn't have any Chinese subs either.


So we had to watch something else instead. It was kind of embarrassing. :)

I bought kung fu hustle BD in Taiwan and it has Traditional Chinese subtitle


I think it's Taiwan version BD
 
1 - 20 of 290 Posts
Top