AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local PBS station digital channel guide says the upcoming series "Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues" is Widescreen but it doesn't say HD. Does anyone have any information that it really will be in HD but the listing is wrong?

·
Registered
498 Posts
They are listed as Widescreen SD on the PBS website (darn).

More details:

The Bluesâ„¢ anchors a multi-media celebration that raises awareness of the blues and its contribution to American culture and music worldwide.

Under the guiding vision of Executive Producer Martin Scorsese, seven directors will explore the blues through their own personal styles and perspectives. The films in the series are motivated by a central theme: how the blues evolved from parochial folk tunes to a universal language.

The seven-part film series includes:

Feel Like Going Home by Martin Scorsese

The Soul of a Man by Wim Wenders

The Road to Memphis by Richard Pearce

Warming by the Devil's Fire by Charles Burnett

Godfathers and Sons by Marc Levin

Red, White & Blues by Mike Figgis

Piano Blues by Clint Eastwood

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Yes- it's on now and unfortunately it's not HD. It was supposed to be HD- it actually looks terrible, one of the poorer SD showings (although they've been pretty bad as of late). I understand why the older material footage looks bad, but why does the newer footage have that jittery-washed out/low-res look alot of PBS SD shows do?

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I wonder if they purposely show these poorer SD transfers to get people to purchase the DVDs? I'm going to buy the DVD anyways, but I know it could look better than this. I doubt DVD will look this bad.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
On our local PBS, it's an upconvert but it looks darned good, much better than FAUX 480P.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
wttw didn't show it on their digital channel only analog

·
Registered
367 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.