AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
This looks fun. Denzel vs Gary Oldman can't wait!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I'll be reviewing it on Thursday Jan. 14th. Hopefully it's interesting. I don't know much about it, other than it takes place in a post-apocalyptic earth and Denzel seems to have some kind of secret that Kunis' character wants to learn.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Watched the trailer. Looked like Denzel had the last remaining printed copy of The Bible, and everyone wanted it as the secret to restoring the world.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK /forum/post/17848450

Watched the trailer. Looked like Denzel had the last remaining printed copy of The Bible, and everyone wanted it as the secret to restoring the world.

The bible? Really?? I hope that's not the case.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Thanks Lee, but I'm wondering why the renegades/gangs will want the bible. Just makes no sense.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 /forum/post/17850888

Thanks Lee, but I'm wondering why the renegades/gangs will want the bible. Just makes no sense.

Makes perfect sense, Denzel would say.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts

·
Registered
10,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanwinter /forum/post/17852234

could it also be the book of deeds or judgement?

Nope. It’s clearly THE book. The movie takes place in 2043, and mentions 30 years of winter, so that would make the “end of the world” the winter of 2012-2013. I suspect the Myans would get a good laugh out of all the apocalyptic crap that is so prevalent today.

BTW, I didn’t see Brit Hume’s name in the cast list.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
As this movie is science fiction (or some kind of fiction), the book could be anything for the purpose of the story. But Denzel would likely be attracted to the story more if it were THE Book (as Aliens cleverly referred to it). Denzel and THE Man are tight...

Anyway, I'm interested in this one, primarily for Mr. Washington's contributions. He makes movies better than they otherwise might be--see "Ricochet" for a great example of a super performance in an otherwise insanely bad movie.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 /forum/post/17850888

Well, the movie is called The Book of Eli, so I guess it's probably not referring to the Bible, but to either a book that was/is owned by an "Eli" (in which case it could be the Bible) or a book that was written by or about a personage or prophet (or even a deity) named Eli. "Eli" (more properly pronounced "Ay-lee") is the Hebrew for "My God," the words that Jesus cried out from the cross. See The Gospel According to Matthew 27:46 and Psalm 22:1 (22:2 in the Hebrew text).

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
eweiss, "Eli" is the name of Denzel's character. And apparently, the book he has that everyone wants is the Bible.

That reminds me of a superb scene from a movie called "The Apostle," directed by Robert Duvall. Billy Bob Thornton intends to drive a bulldozer through Duvall's church. Duvall stops him by putting the Bible in his path. Superlative acting in that scene, and a very tense and powerful dramatic moment. Highly recommended viewing.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts