AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 264 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The USA version will be released June 15, 2010.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Bo...-Blu-ray/9761/

The UK version scheduled for release May 31, 2010.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Eli-Blu...4879526&sr=1-1

And slated for release in France on May 26, 2010.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Bo...Blu-ray/10209/

The Canadian Steelbook (FutureShop) expected on June 15, 2010.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Bo...Blu-ray/11041/

German (horizontal) Steelbook will release on August 26, 2010.

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B003LVGPOK?t...142D9368P3VCH&

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
if this is region free I'm all over it.....unless the US gets off their a$$ and makes an annoucment....

·
Registered
116 Posts
I imagine that the U.S. version will come out around that time or before. Either way I'm looking forward to adding this to my collection.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
From the Digital Bits:

Quote:
Speaking of Warner, the studio has also just announced the DVD and Blu-ray+DVD+Digital Copy Combo versions of The Book of Eli, due on 6/15 (SRP $28.98 and $35.99). Extras will include 3 featurettes (The Lost Tales, Starting Over and Eli's Journey), along with a piece on the soundtrack and additional scenes. The BD will add a Maximum Movie Mode and the bonus copies.

Good movie. I always liked the Maximum Movie Mode on recent releases. Hmmm... 10 bucks says this one has DTS-MA because this on the disk.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
590 Posts
I am pretty sure the French BD will impose French subtitles with the original English soundtrack. Which makes it a no-go for me!

·
Registered
16,003 Posts
Another "it coulda been a contender" post-apocalyptic movie that just didn't work IMHO. Great concept... so-so execution. They also borrowed heavily and ham-handidly from Children Of Men for some scenes and major plot points. For instance, substitute "the book" for a pregnant woman in a sea of infertility and brutality needing to be guarded and shepherded to a land of hope lest she fall into the wrong hands, a boat ride across the sea, heavy Biblical references, etc. etc.

Again, Denzel Washington made the most out of what he was given. And Gary Oldman, of course, does another scene-chewing villain... though, sometimes it seemed way over the top like in The Fifth Element.

The bartering scenes, food scrounging, and over all "look" of this blasted world were cool, and a bit more realistic than some sci-fi films.

The Road was better, though also not perfect.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When is the last time you saw a 'perfect' movie? Yeah - they don't come along that often. Denzel Washington is the main reason for renting or buying this film. I agree about Gary Oldman's over-the-top villain but that's likely why he got the role. In addition to Children of Men and The Road the ones that came to my mind while watching it in the theater were Mad Max - Beyond Thunderdome and Waterworld, but you could throw in just about any post-apocalyptic movie you like. It was directed by the Hughes brothers whose last film was From Hell in 2001 and who are in negotiations to direct the live-action versions of Akira.

At any rate it's up for pre-order on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Blu-ray-C...3064555&sr=1-2

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
I won't blind buy it (been burned too much lately doing that...hello, Hollywood, you still there?), but I'll certainly rent it. The overall look of the movie is interesting, so I'd like to at least try it out at home.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey1 /forum/post/18576823

I am pretty sure the French BD will impose French subtitles with the original English soundtrack. Which makes it a no-go for me!

Why would you want the french release anyway considering the US version is following 3 weeks later?

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/18587050

I won't blind buy it (been burned too much lately doing that...hello, Hollywood, you still there?), but I'll certainly rent it. The overall look of the movie is interesting, so I'd like to at least try it out at home.

I saw it in theaters and I might buy it... Huge spoiler ahead, though not the ending...you've been warned!...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) However I'm not religious at all so at times I couldn't get into the story, couldn't connect with the characters' motivations, and more than once my eyes rolled. Why did it have to be that darn book, why is it that this thing is once again our salvation in this post-apocalyptic world?
Why does it have to be relevant since its relevance depends on what men make of it (did that make sense?
)Anyway, that's another debate... I liked the ending, i thought it was rewarding despite what I said above.
And once again Gary Oldman steals the show. If there was only one reason to watch this film he would be that reason.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
^ I already find it difficult to not read something in spoiler tags, but when you precede it with "Huge spoiler ahead", that makes it almost impossible not to read it. I'm holding out for now...

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/18587401

^ I already find it difficult to not read something in spoiler tags, but when you precede it with "Huge spoiler ahead", that makes it almost impossible not to read it. I'm holding out for now...

Let's just say the religious references already mentioned just leave me very cold, as religion is not part of my world and everyday life... But the movie ain't bad either, some of its elements just kept me from totally enjoying it, as I just couldn't accept some key plot points. So I had to concentrate on other aspects, actors performances, pacing, post-apocalyptic universe...

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo /forum/post/18587451

Let's just say the religious references already mentioned just leave me very cold, as religion is not part of my world and everyday life... But the movie ain't bad either, some of its elements just kept me from totally enjoying it, as I just couldn't accept some key plot points. So I had to concentrate on other aspects, actors performances, pacing, post-apocalyptic universe...

I don't care about the biblical references for the same reasons, but if the other things mentioned pass muster, then it could be worth a watch, I guess.

·
Registered
16,003 Posts
The trouble with the religious overtones was that they were very in your face. Not subtle at all.

Does Hollywood think we're all nine years old?

Same thing with Terminator 4. They spoon fed you through the entire movie along with a ubiquitous villainous monologue so they could again explain the dopey plot.

Don't get me started on Transformers...

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman /forum/post/18589507

Same thing with Terminator 4. They spoon fed you through the entire movie along with a ubiquitous villainous monologue so they could again explain the dopey plot.

There was a plot in T4? I guess I missed that part since I was so focused on the stellar acting and dialog.

·
Registered
16,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/18589605

There was a plot in T4? I guess I missed that part since I was so focused on the stellar acting and dialog.

There wasn't one, that's why they had to explain it.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman /forum/post/18589629

There wasn't one, that's why they had to explain it.

You got that right. At least it sounded good while it scoured itself to find meaning.

1 - 20 of 264 Posts