AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I don't get in trouble for this, but my old thread became rather convoluted, but through it and other sources, I have a whole new list of options to run past you all, and thought it best to start a new thread. The real problem is that I have no way to listen to most of these, other than to order them shipped, then return them if I don't like them, and I would really like to minimize that as much as possible.

I have read many, many reviews on all of these and would like your opinions as well.

Again, I am looking for speakers to play music with, as I am using my old Logitech Z5500's for surround sound, and while not great, they are adequate for now.

NOTE 1: I don't have a lot of space for tall towers, and yes I have actually tried some, so bookshelves would be much more usable for my space. Towers are not impossible but not at all optimal either.

The towers that I tried where a pair of used: INFINITY PRIMUS 250's, and while I did like, I found them to be just too bassy for my taste. The bass was good, just too much and not enough highs like female vocals and such

NOTE 2: I would really prefer not to buy a new sub at this time, so I am looking for book shelf speakers that have a descent amount of good clean tight bass.

Direct Sellers:

HDT - Level 2 Bookshelves $200 pair

HDT - Level 3 Bookshelves $300 pair

Ascend Acoustics - CMT-340 SE $570 pair (a bit out of my price range)

Retail Sellers:

EMP TEK - E5Bi $225 pair

JBL - ES30 $200 pair

Behringer - 2031P $375 pair

Worfdale - Diamond 10.1 $350 pair

Worfdale - Diamond 10.2 $449

Boston Acoustics - A26 $400 pair

Boston Acoustics - CS26 $300 pair

I have listened to a pair of towers that I think I like a lot, and though they are towers, I must put them into this list, as they are on sale locally for $299 pair, and they are the:

Boston Acoustics CS-260 ii $400 pair (Regular price)

·
Registered
19,787 Posts
The JBL Studio 530 has real nice bass, and will play low - and they are good
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-530-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B00622STI0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394826226&sr=8-2&keywords=jbl+studio+530

The word on the MB Quart Alexxa is good - good close-out price $470 with shipping
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-b1pb-pair?pp=24

With Boston, I would look at the M25 - buy one and get one free
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065M25/Boston-Acoustics-M25.html?showAll=N&search=boston_m25&skipvs=T

·
Registered
737 Posts
do you have a Best Buy Magnolia around? check out the Def Tech SM55 or SM65 - $360/pair or $518/pair, respectfully, from bajawaverunner on ebay.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Of the ones you list, I would say that the best-sounding speakers are the Wharfedale Diamond speakers.

For a really fabulous speaker at a great price, you might want to consider the Focal Chorus 806V, which Music Direct has marked down from $1000 to only $599.

They also have the Focal 705V for under $400 per pair. Focal makes really good-sounding speakers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13  /t/1522555/the-bookshelf-speaker-search-grows-more-serius#post_24483116

do you have a Best Buy Magnolia around? check out the Def Tech SM55 or SM65 - $360/pair or $518/pair, respectfully, from bajawaverunner on ebay.

I am a little confused.

What is Best Buy Manolia?

Also are you saying these speakers are available there or on ebay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1522555/the-bookshelf-speaker-search-grows-more-serius#post_24483169

Of the ones you list, I would say that the best-sounding speakers are the Wharfedale Diamond speakers.

For a really fabulous speaker at a great price, you might want to consider the Focal Chorus 806V, which Music Direct has marked down from $1000 to only $599.

They also have the Focal 705V for under $400 per pair. Focal makes really good-sounding speakers.

Music Direct has the Focal 705V's for $349/pair right now.

Can you tell me more about these, and/or can anyone else weigh in on these speakers?

They are definitely in my price range.

I am seriously considering the JBL Studio 530's at $500/pair, a bit out of my price range, but seems well worth the extra cash. From all that I have read, they would be very, very hard to beet in the $500 and under price range.

That said, I would rather spend $350 if it will net a really good set of speakers that don't necessarily require a sub.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkulese  /t/1522555/the-bookshelf-speaker-search-grows-more-serius#post_24483758

Music Direct has the Focal 705V's for $349/pair right now.

Can you tell me more about these, and/or can anyone else weigh in on these speakers?

They are definitely in my price range.

I am seriously considering the JBL Studio 530's at $500/pair, but I would rather spend $350 if it will net a really good set of speakers that don't necessarily require a sub.
I have owned both

The Studio 530 is a better speaker, with better imaging and soundstage presentation, and

is more open/clear and defined - the 530 has much better bass response - and is really good

with both music and HT/movies. > The 530 has been preferred over much higher and more

expensive speakers, than Focal 705

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/1522555/the-bookshelf-speaker-search-grows-more-serius#post_24483765

Is there a reason why you excluded the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE?

After the suggestion of the JBL Studio 350's and some research, they seem to blow the Ascends out of the water, and at a bit lower cost to boot, but I am open to your opinions of the comparison.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkulese  /t/1522555/the-bookshelf-speaker-search-grows-more-serius#post_24484437

After the suggestion of the JBL Studio 350's and some research, they seem to blow the Ascends out of the water, and at a bit lower cost to boot, but I am open to your opinions of the comparison.
That was my suggestion for $350. For $500, zieg's suggestion is a good one..he's got good experience...would love to compare them to the CMT-340SE's.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/1522555/the-bookshelf-speaker-search-grows-more-serius#post_24483765

Is there a reason why you excluded the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE?

My apologies, I listed the Ascend CMT-340 SE, as that one came recommended earlier.

I missed that this is an altogether different Ascend speaker that had not been brought up to me before.

I will look into them, as I would still like to spend closer to $300 than $500.

Again, with this list of choices, and my limited space, should I even be considering the Boston Acoustics CS-260 ii towers (on sale at $399)?

Or should I just bite the bullet on the Studio 530's?

It really seems that that funky looking horn and all the rest of it truly deliver on the goods.

Not a bad review to be found on that one, at least not that I have found anyway.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

Many good choices, it seems.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkulese  /t/1522555/the-bookshelf-speaker-search-grows-more-serius#post_24485489

Again, with this list of choices, and my limited space, should I even be considering the Boston Acoustics CS-260 ii towers (on sale at $399)?

I would skip the Boston CS-260 towers - if you do go the tower route, then the Boston A250

at AC4L new in the box.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bosa250gba/boston-acoustics-a250-2-way-dual-5.25-floor-standing-speaker-ea-black/1.html

If you want to stay close to $300 - then keep Ascend on your short list.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkulese  /t/1522555/the-bookshelf-speaker-search-grows-more-serius#post_24485489

Yes there are....

Have you gone out and had the chance to listen to anything?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/1522555/the-bookshelf-speaker-search-grows-more-serius#post_24485939

Yes there are....

Have you gone out and had the chance to listen to anything?

Only the big box store stuff, and the Boston Acoustics.

I do have a vintage Hi-Fi dealer close, and he let me try out an older pair of Infinity Primus 250 towers for $175. They were nice, but just a bit too bassey and the mids not quite there. I took them back, and explained exactly what the issues were, when he suggested a pair of ADS 700 cabinets that he had setting up in his main listening area. They were very nice, clear, clean, and not as bassy, but in that big store with wide open spaces, and 15 foot metal ceilings, how can you tell. He insisted that I give them a try, with the same proviso that, of not completely satisfied, to please bring them back. He only wanted $250 for the pair, and he informed me that they had brand new caps on the crossovers, and that the surrounds had just been redone as well. I thought they looked awfully good for speakers that old.

Anyway, I took them home, and listened with my wife for several hours, and I have to say that I think my search may be over. That is for now anyway, until I can invest more in the total system. These speakers are very clean, with nice highs, clear mids, and very nice tight bass. I also can honestly say that, as many have discovered when going to a nicer speaker, that I am now hearing nuance’s in the music that I never heard before, of at least not in a long, long while.

I will continue to test them and give more detail later.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkulese  /t/1522555/the-bookshelf-speaker-search-grows-more-serius#post_24489797

Only the big box store stuff, and the Boston Acoustics.

I do have a vintage Hi-Fi dealer close, and he let me try out an older pair of Infinity Primus 250 towers for $175. They were nice, but just a bit too bassey and the mids not quite there. I took them back, and explained exactly what the issues were, when he suggested a pair of ADS 700 cabinets that he had setting up in his main listening area. They were very nice, clear, clean, and not as bassy, but in that big store with wide open spaces, and 15 foot metal ceilings, how can you tell. He insisted that I give them a try, with the same proviso that, of not completely satisfied, to please bring them back. He only wanted $250 for the pair, and he informed me that they had brand new caps on the crossovers, and that the surrounds had just been redone as well. I thought they looked awfully good for speakers that old.

Anyway, I took them home, and listened with my wife for several hours, and I have to say that I think my search may be over. That is for now anyway, until I can invest more in the total system. These speakers are very clean, with nice highs, clear mids, and very nice tight bass. I also can honestly say that, as many have discovered when going to a nicer speaker, that I am now hearing nuance’s in the music that I never heard before, of at least not in a long, long while.

I will continue to test them and give more detail later.
That is good that the dealer allowed you to bring them home to listen...that is the best audition. That type of place is a dying breed. I'm glad you may be able to support it with your business.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/1522555/the-bookshelf-speaker-search-grows-more-serius#post_24489872

That is good that the dealer allowed you to bring them home to listen...that is the best audition. That type of place is a dying breed. I'm glad you may be able to support it with your business.
+1

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/1522555/the-bookshelf-speaker-search-grows-more-serius#post_24489872

They are named HIONFI, and have been in business for just over two and a half years, and deal strictly in vintage (used) equipment. Most is truly vintage, and awesome classic stuff. Amps, Pre-Amps, tuners, turntables, speakers, lots of vinyl, etc....

They also do repairs and mods, like new caps and surrounds, etc...

They are a couple of late 40's or early 50's aged ex corporate types that got tired of that kind of work, and started this business. They are open 7 days a week, into the evening, and are both there except for alternating Sundays. They have a very nice location, with lots of space, and multiple listening areas, and they are very laid back, just good guys, and I am very happy to give them my business as well.

These ADS 700's are very nice, for the price, and refurbished as well. A bit larger that what I would call bookshelves, but still small enough for my space.

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
Nice choice! I owned a pair of ADS speakers many years ago and enjoyed them quite a lot. Letting your ears make the decision is always a good idea, especially when you can listen at home.

You've done well, young Jedi!

Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts