AVS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
The binge model is bad for a show to build hype and an audience. They're basically long movies with them. You need the weekly water cooler talk to build and sustain. Look at The Umbrella Academy. No one has talked or thought about it in a month and a half or more. If they did it weekly it would just be ending now and would have had people discussing it the entire time, like we are with The Boys. If you want to binge just wait the month for it to air and binge it. It'll be better for the show's health if you want it to last.
What water cooler talk? The majority of the country is still on lockdown or working from home. You watch however you want; but all the weekly format has done is take away the option for me to watch how I want.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
all the weekly format has done is take away the option for me to watch how I want.
You can still binge all the episodes at once. Nobody is taking that away from you. You just have to wait until the season is finished to do so.

Reactions: allargon

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
What water cooler talk? The majority of the country is still on lockdown or working from home. You watch however you want; but all the weekly format has done is take away the option for me to watch how I want.
The virtual water cooler. Every place I've worked for the last 8 years or so has either had Slack, Teams, or the something similar for communication. Plus there's the community chat that happens on YouTube, Reddit, etc.

And it hasn't taken away the option to watch how you want to watch. You can binge the entire season this weekend if you'd like to. You just had to have an extra month of patience. The binge model is bad for show longevity. If you want it to last more than a couple seasons it has to be able to build an audience. It looks like Amazon figured that since the next season of The Expanse is going to do the same thing as The Boys. First 3 drop on 12-16 and then it's weekly. I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix follows suit at some point. Disney, HBO, and Apple are already doing weekly for their bigger shows.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I enjoyed a lot of the finale. Some scenes were excellent. But it didn’t add up to a satisfying whole. Seems like a lot more setting up for future seasons.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I enjoyed a lot of the finale. Some scenes were excellent. But it didn’t add up to a satisfying whole. Seems like a lot more setting up for future seasons.
I thought the finale made up for the season. There were definitely a few twists I did Nazi coming that almost made my head explode at the end.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
The Boys stars kick *** and take names in EW's digital cover shoot

Let's hear it for The Boys: How the superhero satire crafted its gutsiest season yet

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
What an incredible season finale. This show is freaking awesome. That battle was fantastic and needs to be watched a couple times. Stormfront's fate is absolutely perfectly well done. What a surprise there. Answers on the cause of the head popping. Everything was just firing on all cylinders in this episode. Kudos to Amazon for letting them go all out.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
I especially liked the homage to QT's Death Proof there near the end. Not sure I completely understand Victoria's motives and whether she is a Vaught operative or not. Please be the end of Billy Joel as the soundtrack.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The virtual water cooler. Every place I've worked for the last 8 years or so has either had Slack, Teams, or the something similar for communication. Plus there's the community chat that happens on YouTube, Reddit, etc.
I'd like to see a sort of hybrid, between Dropping a series all at once, vs dribbling it out 1 ep per week , such as 2 to 3 or so episodes drop at once each week ..
Still would allow for Posting and "water cooler" type talk each week , & still 'hits the spot for people that want to binge for a couple/few hours, & makes the occasional "slow" episode more palatable ...
The average 8 to 16 episode series would still take 1 to 2 months to fully drop..
There are quite a few shows that dropped all at once, that I liked/was OK with, but have to admit if I was required to wait a week between every episode, I would have given up on ..

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
I enjoyed the season finale too and the setup for a third season. Didn't see that one coming. Kripke knows how to keep a show interesting, after all he kept one running for 15 seasons. ;)

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Meet Soldier Boy: Everything we know about Jensen Ackles' addition to The Boys

The Boys season 3 will introduce Supernatural star as Soldier Boy. Here's what we know about him and his team called Payback.

Warning: This article contains spoilers from The Boys season 2.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
The Boys Boss Talks Finale's Explosive Twist, Stormfront's Fate and Season 3

Warning: The following contains spoilers for The Boys Season 2 finale. Proceed at your own risk!

·
Registered
18,530 Posts
"All you need is an AR-15 and meep-meep no more." Preach it, Frenchie.😆 Overall a decent finale. Some pretty good scenes. Hope everyone is hydrated cuz there's no more Fresca. Lol. And I think we all could benefit from Butcher's advice to Homelander Jr.,"don't be a c--t." However, we must keep in mind the immortal words of the mighty BJ, only the good die young and at the end of the day, it's still rock n roll to me. I swear I didn't start the fire. No, I didn't light it. But I tried to fight it...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Interesting to see how the writers had the mortally wounded (and how!) Stormfront regress back to her Hitler Youth days almost a hundred years ago, babbling out some nearly incoherent stuff (regarding picnics by the river and eating Apple Strudel or something???) in German as she died. That was oddly poignant even for a soulless Nazi scum. At least she didn't pull a "Sgt. Shultz" and try to claim she was "just following orders."

And--surprise!--that big showdown-of-the-Supes takes place in rural Upstate New York rather than Manhattan after all, thereby sparing hundreds or possibly thousands of people from the collateral damage that could have occurred. Thank you, Mr. Kripke...N.Y.C. needed a break this year (even if it was really only Toronto!).

421 - 440 of 479 Posts