·
Registered
1,445 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1  /t/1350179/the-bacon-race-theater-patio-project/2040#post_23616055

Have you check this out yet? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449924/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs

Whoa that is a lot to read! I wish i had a day off to just mess with it! Today has been nothing but manual labor. Building a fence... let me tell all of you who don't live in Virginia. Our dirt is not dirt, it is red clay which is mixed with large chunks (or sometimes whole veins) of granite and quartz. Digging here is NOT fun at all. Sometimes a post hole ends the moment you begin digging... and a bee stung me! little buzzy bitches!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon  /t/1350179/the-bacon-race-theater-patio-project/2040#post_23618486

Whoa that is a lot to read! I wish i had a day off to just mess with it! Today has been nothing but manual labor. Building a fence... let me tell all of you who don't live in Virginia. Our dirt is not dirt, it is red clay which is mixed with large chunks (or sometimes whole veins) of granite and quartz. Digging here is NOT fun at all. Sometimes a post hole ends the moment you begin digging... and a bee stung me! little buzzy bitches!

Finished the fence! Last night I finally started the "Unboxing" of all the parts for the outdoor theater. I of course took pictures, but will wait until I get everything assembled to post the beginning to end shots. To me it will feel like a little bit of a letdown since the "Payoff" shots will just be of a big screen in the grass vs with the whole finished patio around it. Still, I guess that will be next year! I should be able to finish it today if it isn't raining when i get home, otherwise it will be tomorrow.

Sorry, I have not yet played with any of the measurement stuff or read up on it yet. I was so exhausted with that stupid fence this last weekend that I didn't want to do any thinking of any kind. My arms still ache from digging all of those post holes. I'll just have to dig two more now to fit the screen poles into. I couldn't find any Schedule 80 PVC in stock anywhere local at 1 1/4", so I had to use standard 1 1/4" PVC conduit. Larger Inner Diameter but if the screen wobbles too much I can just jam something in there to steady it. We'll see how it plays out.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,044
So I was using my pool/patio layout as a measuring tool to figure out exactly I'd have to dig holes for the outdoor screen when I really started to wonder about part of my patio "Layout". In the original design plan, the architect drew out a large staircase which goes from the driveway to the patio, and was designed in such a way to line up certain parts of the patio to match edges of the stairs, planters, etc. When I looked at it though I thought, wow, that is a huge waste of space for a staircase! What is that huge landing going to be used for anyway? Also, it turned out that the portion of the patio between the stairs and the house is actually only 6' instead of 6'6" as noted in the plan, so I think one of their measurements was off a little. So I also needed to make changes there to make sure it all lined up properly

Here was one of the 3D Renderings of the staircase in question:

I took a screenshot of a portion of the plan and threw it into paint to try and modify it a little. Here is the original part of the patio layout

And here is what I propose to change it to:

Thoughts? Like it better this way or no?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Your revised layout works better from a circulation standpoint. It not only opens up the area between the pool and the stairs but also allows someone that is behind the bar to go up the stairs without zig-zagging around the planter. You'll have some added cost by extending that retaining wall, but I think it works much better than the original layout. The longer retaining wall gives you more overflow seating.

If you don't really need the extra paving between the stairs and pool, this would be another option. It would allow you to maintain the wide expanse of lawn next to the landing while still providing better circulation to the area behind the bar. I like your layout better, but thought I'd throw this out there. Wide stairs can serve double duty as a place for informal/overflow seating.
http://s847.photobucket.com/user/spacemanlee--/media/fbe573a2-dae6-44d9-a3be-94b52c54d2e2_zpse1d66f01.jpg.html

Where is your outdoor screen going? This may tell you where overflow seating is more important.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman  /t/1350179/the-bacon-race-theater-patio-project/2040#post_23625329

Where is your outdoor screen going? This may tell you where overflow seating is more important.

The planned location is behind the retaining wall in the top center of that image, in the area marked "Planter". I originally toyed with centering it behind the pool, but in a lot of ways that would be very unwieldy. Mostly the screen is not permanent. So if I were to put it there I would have to install it from behind. Technically how I have my wires I can still put it there since I am doing a phantom center, but at the moment I plan on putting it on the side of the yard.

As for "Overflow" seating, the area in question will be between the projector and the screen. Technically people could sit there, but the angle might be akin to front row in a standard theater. Once I measure it out I can test it from both spots and see how we like the feel of it. The summer in general makes it tough, because it is relatively bright late into the evening. If it is behind the pool it will be pretty useless until the sun is completely over the horizon, so it will likely be the area behind that top retaining wall.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,047
Progress Notes : So yesterday I tried to "convert" the outdoor screen frame to fit into some buried posts in the ground like I had planned.... yeah that isn't going to work, at least not in the short term. That frame is BIG. Since all of it is round metal pieces and joints, certain parts have the tendency to rotate unless the pins are EXTREMELY tightened. It also is so large that even standing it up requires two people. What a pain! Now I'm also thinking if this is something I want to deal with putting together / taking apart when needed or leaving in the yard from spring-fall every year. My wife is pushing on just keeping it where it is. Looking at the thing, it reminds me of those old soccer goalposts, and looks ugly by itself in the middle of the grass. Without the finished patio, it just seems like this trashy monstrosity! hehe. Then again I don't have the screen on it yet, but it will stick out!

So I assembled the frame using the actual kit instructions instead, which includes a sort of "stand" that the screen rests on. The major problem with this in my current yard is that my yard is not currently flat in the location I want the screen. That will make setting up a projector extremely difficult. I have taken some pictures but it is hard to get a perspective of scale or angle in them to explain what I am talking about. I started trying to put up the screen but the overall size of the frame needs adjustments to make sure that the bungee fasteners all work and the screen fits within the frame. It basically just needs to be an inch smaller or so. Hopefully I can finish that tomorrow or this weekend. As far as sun, it looks like at around 5-6pm during this time of year the area where the screen is will be shaded, which is good.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon  /t/1350179/the-bacon-race-theater-patio-project/2040#post_23625217

And here is what I propose to change it to:

Thoughts? Like it better this way or no?

I think you would be much better off with your alternate plan, since that would give you more flexibility with setting up your screen.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,049

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty  /t/1350179/the-bacon-race-theater-patio-project/2040#post_23631717

I think you would be much better off with your alternate plan, since that would give you more flexibility with setting up your screen.

I think so too.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,050
So this weekend I finally got the screen up, but I forgot the sync the pictures over so I'm sorry I haven't posted them. I will get on that soon.

I had a hope that maybe Friday night I could watch a movie since the weather was right for it.

1) Finally got the frame adjusted properly so that the screen fit properly. It's sort of a 98% fit, since the corners aren't perfectly stretched, but you would have to walk up to it to see that. I'm not expecting perfection with an outdoor screen, nor with a screen held on a frame by bungee cords!

2) Assembled the projector stand and tested the projector. Due to the slope of the hill, which at the moment is something I can't do anything about, I had to make sure I pointed it in the right direction to get it on the screen. Getting it to fill the entire screen (Mostly due to the odd projector and screen angles) was a chore, but for a temporary setup it is workable.

3) First movie test... FAIL! So I ran into the problem where the HDMI chain seemed to be just long enough where the laptop would recognize a display device but that the projector would not recognize a source. The total length of cable was just too long. In retrospect, I should have used a twin-CAT6 to send the video outside, but can't change that now. Going to try to get the signal boosted a little and test again this week. I know the cable works for audio at least as I used it to test audio input from my laptop outside back into the receiver inside (the opposite direction) when I first put it up, but the total length of cable from the outdoor box to the projector seemed just too long. If this doesn't work I may look into a wireless HDMI setup, since it is a short distance in a straight line. At the same time, video was pretty much unwatchable until about 8pm even with the high lumen output of the projector. It just wasn't dark enough. As the fall approaches this time will shrink of course, but mid summer, it would have to be a late night event. That is a downer.

4) Because of the fact I couldn't get the full video through, I have not yet unboxed my rock speakers. So I will get to that when I resolve issue #3.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I wouldn't go wireless with the HDMI. I'd simply purchase a HDBaseT HDMI baluns system which works over a single wire. Distances are good for up to 1000 feet at full resolution and frame rate. Look at Audio Authority, Transformative Engineering, Gefen, Snap AV and a handful of other smaller players. It will run you $400- $500, but the solution is bulletproof.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
You can get an HDBaseT setup at Monoprice for $200.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,053

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo  /t/1350179/the-bacon-race-theater-patio-project/2040#post_23644356

You can get an HDBaseT setup at Monoprice for $200.

Will do. I'll wait and see what this $10 widget does, seems like people have had success using it with HDMI handshake issues between 35-100 feet, and seems like I am close to that handshake anyway. If not I'll go that route, I'd much rather do that than wireless, and I do have a single Cat6 there already fortunately. Glad I wired that!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Spend the extra $10 and go to RatShack for the external power supply. This one worked great for me inside. I had a very similar issue on a 50 foot HDM...the BDP would connect to the projector but I'd get a Blue Screen of Death partway in to the movie. If I ran it through the receiver, the projector would not get signal at all. So I tried this from monoprice and it's been fine ever since running through the receiver, but I did need the external power supply (which monoprice doesn't sell):

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8120&seq=1&format=1

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,055

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797  /t/1350179/the-bacon-race-theater-patio-project/2040#post_23645147

Spend the extra $10 and go to RatShack for the external power supply. This one worked great for me inside. I had a very similar issue on a 50 foot HDM...the BDP would connect to the projector but I'd get a Blue Screen of Death partway in to the movie. If I ran it through the receiver, the projector would not get signal at all. So I tried this from monoprice and it's been fine ever since running through the receiver, but I did need the external power supply (which monoprice doesn't sell):

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8120&seq=1&format=1

I saw that one. I ended up ordering this (which was already delivered today) http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041914&p_id=2849&seq=1&format=2 - I don't have high hopes for it, but it was cheap and people said it helped them too so I thought I'd try it. Thank you for the input though, I definitely have options!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797  /t/1350179/the-bacon-race-theater-patio-project/2040#post_23645197

Well, if that one doesn't work out, monoprice is good with returns so swap it for the other one. And sorry, it's $20, not $10 more.

Plus the power supply!
All in good time my friend, we'll see how it turns out. I hope to test it when I get home.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,058
Initial Attempt - Put the device between the receiver OUT and the Wall Jack going from the closet to the outdoor - No Dice.

Second Attempt - Put the device between the Outlet Box HDMI Jack under the deck and the projector - Success! I was able to play 5 minutes of a movie and shut everything down. Got audio too from the 2 speakers I already had mounted. Going to try and mess with some rock speakers now!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Very nice. And now you have an extra $200 to spend on stuff.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo  /t/1350179/the-bacon-race-theater-patio-project/2040#post_23646464

Very nice. And now you have an extra $200 to spend on stuff.

Indeed! Tried out several movies and all is good. I even had a second gyroscopic mouse i could use outside and that works too. Way to go for being a pack-rat!

Photos to follow in a few minutes...

2041 - 2060 of 3123 Posts