AVS Forum banner

2061 - 2080 of 3123 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,061
Unboxing - Screen Kit from http://www.carlofet.com/projector-screen-kits-fittings-and-accessories/freestanding-movie-screen-kits.html

Opened the box to find:

1) Fittings and Bungee Connectors!

2) Instructions (No photo)

3) Screen - (Came in a nice covered bag thing)

The instructions stated that I needed 1" EMT pipe from a local hardware store (Lowes for me) which I then had to cut into several pieces!

Note : After cutting each piece I used a Dremel tool to shave off the pieces on the ends which remained. Worked very well. I also marked each piece with a pencil where it matched the instructions (Pieces were labeled A - I depending on lengths)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,062
Screen Frame Assembly : I tried building it without following the order the first time, so it won't exactly match what the instructions say, but it is mostly so you can get an idea of how it went

Central piece:

Followed by edge extensions:

Finished the main part of the frame without the base and stood it upright sort of to get a feel for scale:

Assembled the base:

Now at this point the frame was done, but keep in mind that the instructions state to adjust as necessary. I did need to do so, by several inches in almost all places in the main frame area to fit the screen right. I marked areas with pencil and shortened it 1" at a time until the screen material finally fit nice and snug (As a bug in a rug)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,063
Projector Stand : This can go up to 7' high, but due to the current grading I only needed the lower pole. Nothing special to see in the unboxing, just the stand. The table comes with long velcro strips so that you can adjust it like a Gimble to project at any angle

(Reserved for future photo with projector)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,064
Projector : I got an Optoma TH1060P. Mostly because it had a lot of lumens and also because the distance between the projector and the bottom of the screen was much lower than the BenQ SH910 I was looking at. Same price though.

Came with a nice carry case!

With the projector peeking out!

And here is the HDMI outlet box under the lip of my deck where it plugs into! (Ignore the dirty column, I didn't power wash this area due to the box being there unfortunately)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,065
Outdoor Speakers : From OSD (Outdoor Speaker Direct) - RS690 - http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/osr50larospp.html

Came in a big box!

Opened it to find... 2 Smaller Boxes!

Which each contained one beige rock speaker! Up close, it doesn't look half bad

If you wanted to see how the base looks with the included wire here is a pic:

Listening Impressions : Ok so how my receiver is set out of the box they don't deliver much on the low end, but they do sound great otherwise. I really cranked them up to the introduction of "300" in just stereo mode and was very impressed with their sound output... not to mention how good just plain stereo sounded. I know I'm usually spoiled, but for outdoor purposes, these are just fine! For the price of a pair, they were a great buy!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,066
Initial Impressions : Had everything working all together and put on the beginning of avatar. Man I can't believe how much better projectors look these days! Even this $1k projector looks great! Very happy it is all working. Will be watching an entire movie later so we can see if that dongle results in any sync issues

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797  /t/1350179/the-bacon-race-theater-patio-project/2070#post_23648063

NICE!

3 more speakers and a subwoofer and you're all set!

I've got the speakers, I just didn't bother setting them up temporarily. They will be there permanently later. I didn't wire for a sub though. There is a conduit running for the power lines to the pool pumps so maybe when they do that work I will just have them pull some wire along with it.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon  /t/1350179/the-bacon-race-theater-patio-project/2070#post_23646648

With the projector peeking out!

We love the equipment pictures, keep em coming...

·
Registered
355 Posts
I spent the past couple days reading this entire thread from the beginning. It starts out with a really nice theater build but around page 40 it seems like everything is all tied up, but there are still 30 pages left in the thread you begin wondering to yourself "ok, so BIG said he still needs to paint the door, how on earth does that take up 30 more pages??" ...and then bam you get hit was a crazy yard build. I'm looking forward to more pics of the process and especially the final product.

I really appreciate the detail construction pics and cost breakdown. It really helps guide an informed decision on whether a project like this would be feasible to do yourself before you get in over your head or demo a room and can't afford to put it back together.

One suggestion: update the first post with some info to indicate that buried at the back of the thread is a cool yard makeover -- maybe include one of the rendering shots.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,071

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHCYJ  /t/1350179/the-bacon-race-theater-patio-project/2070#post_23659076

One suggestion: update the first post with some info to indicate that buried at the back of the thread is a cool yard makeover -- maybe include one of the rendering shots.

This is actually a great point. Not only do I want to do this, I want to do a table of contents too. Thanks for the reminder, I'll try to get this done sometime in the near future!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
As long as you don't get stuck in "Dimension X"...the "near future" is relative...

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,074
Heh... well I added some pictures of the patio area on the front page already... table of contents will take a lot more time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey damelon,

Love the theater! After reading Warren's book I knew I wanted some portion of the Bacon Race in my design so I will be using a similar soffit design.

With that in mind, is this the light you used? http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=16059-47842-105851-028

I don't remember you guys mentioning it was a gimbal type. Do you turn the gimbal any specific way to accent your theater or just keep them straight?

Your patio is pretty amazing as well!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killravenx  /t/1350179/the-bacon-race-theater-patio-project/2070#post_23703318

Hey damelon,

Love the theater! After reading Warren's book I knew I wanted some portion of the Bacon Race in my design so I will be using a similar soffit design.

With that in mind, is this the light you used? http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=16059-47842-105851-028

I don't remember you guys mentioning it was a gimbal type. Do you turn the gimbal any specific way to accent your theater or just keep them straight?

Your patio is pretty amazing as well!

Thanks.

I used those lights in my theater soffits and they work well. Most of mine are straight but the ones pointed at the screen are tilted toward the screen. Its nice to have the flexibility.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I used those same ones as well. All mine shoot straight down. Painting the trim pieces proved to be somewhat difficult for me (the paint kept cracking). Finally figured out my technique. Also, these lights run very hot so having adequate ventilation is important.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Awesome guys! Thanks for the replies, I am heading to Lowes to get a sample one to mess with

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,079

Quote:
Originally Posted by killravenx  /t/1350179/the-bacon-race-theater-patio-project/2070#post_23703471

Awesome guys! Thanks for the replies, I am heading to Lowes to get a sample one to mess with

They work well, are small, and do get hot. I think i was the same as stockmonkey and only used the gimbal on the front ones. Wiring them is also a pain because the housnig is so small.

On a side note, one of my puppies decided to chew on my carpet on the front of the stage, not cool!!! Had to black sharpie it temporarily so it wouldn't be overly obviously, but I will have to replace the first step carpet at some point... Fortunately, I have enough spare to do so.

2061 - 2080 of 3123 Posts