AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Check out our review of this generation defining classic from John Hughes. Five high school students, all different stereotypes, meet in detention, where they pour their hearts out to each other, and discover how they have a lot more in common than they thought.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 1985
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 97 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French European, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese DTS-HD Mono
Subtitles: English SDH, French European, French Canadian, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Portuguese, Arabic, Hindi, Icelandic
Starring: Judd Nelson, Emilio Estevez, Ally Sheedy, Anthony Michael Hall, Molly Ringwald, Paul Gleeson
Written & Directed by: John Hughes
Music by: Keith Forsey
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 10, 2015

"They only met once, but it changed their lives forever"

My Take:

They were five students with nothing in common, faced with spending a Saturday detention together in their high school library. At 7 a.m., they had nothing to say, but by 4 p.m. they had bared their souls to each other and become good friends. John Hughes creator of the critically acclaimed Sixteen Candles, wrote, directed and produced this hilarious and often touching comedy starring Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald and Ally Sheedy. To the outside world they were simply the Jock, the Brain, the Criminal, the Princess and the Kook, but to each other, they would always be The Breakfast Club.

An all-time classic from one of the most influential writers and directors in Hollywood history The Breakfast Club is one of the filmmaker’s most memorable films. John Hughes created iconic portraits of 1980s teen life that helped define adolescence for an entire generation. His movies also introduced a new crop of young stars, including “Brat Pack” members Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Emilio Estevez, Judd Nelson and Ally Sheedy, in warm-hearted, coming-of-age comedies that remain a true testament to his filmmaking genius.

I saw The Breakfast Club when it debuted in theaters in 1985 and have loved it ever since. John Hughes had his finger on the pulse of adolescence, drawing in fine strokes from the perspective of young adults struggling through the difficult transition from teenager to adulthood. His flair for sharp dialogue and narrative shaping that portrayed teen concerns in a defining light is unparalleled. This is my favorite of his films. For me it has a timeless appeal that successfully deconstructs stereotypes through superb character development that is enriched by pitch perfect casting and music that is juxtaposed with thematic moments. I could go on but instead will point out a few of my favorite moments:

• Vernon, Andrew and propping the door open
  • John & Brian & Lunch
  • The Confession sequence
  • Brian’s story & breakdown
  • Dick & Carl in the file room
  • John unloads on Claire
  • Allison’s reveal
  • John & Vernon in the storage room
  • Everyone is baked

Honestly these are just to name a few. The entire film consists of a series of wonderfully crafted moments that ring true on identifying levels. The Breakfast Club never loses its luster and is one of those classic pieces that engages me no matter how many times I watch it. It’s hard to believe that it is celebrating its 30th anniversary.

Also available on the same date is The John Hughes Yearbook Collection, a celebration of the acclaimed filmmaker’s most memorable films, including The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles and Weird Science. The Breakfast Club 30th Anniversary Edition includes an all-new trivia track and all films come with an array of bonus features and extras that will remind viewers of Hughes’ uncommon understanding of the trials and triumphs of young adulthood.

The Breakfast Club 30th Anniversary Edition comes to Blu-ray with an all-new, digitally re-mastered and fully restored version of the film. In addition to the home entertainment release, The Breakfast Club 30th Anniversary celebration continues in theaters when the film is back on the big screen for two nights only, March 26 and March 31, 2015, presented by Fathom Events, BY Experience and Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. Visit BreakfastClub30.com for tickets and participating cinemas.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language, thematic material and teen drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Breakfast Club: 30th Anniversary Edition comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 Mbps.

This is a solid looking high definition catalog release that presents this 30 year old film in a positive light. The restorative efforts have yielded fruit as the print is free of speckles/debris while the overall transfer appears superior to the previous VC-1 encoding found on the original high definition releases. It boasts clean, slightly muted primary colors and a fair mix of secondary hues that mate well with the film’s theme. Resolution is discerning with varying degrees of delineation. There is mild innate softness but beyond that sharpness is stable with fair clarity that enhances depth. Black levels are elevated and contrast is spot on which gives a fair amount of pop to colors. Grain is present and moderately textured. This is a pleasing video presentation that predominantly appears faithful to the film’s original elements.

This is a dialogue driven film however there are aspects of the presentation that make effective use of the rear channels to expand the soundstage. Dialogue is crystal clear with appreciable vocal description. The mix relies heavily upon the front three channels. Separation, imaging and directional spacing are good as the mix of dialogue, music and recorded sounds are clearly rendered. The LFE channel is used primarily for subtle impact and for upper bass frequencies associated with the film’s music. This DTS-HD MA multi-channel mix compliments the source material and delivers a satisfying listening experience that enhanced my enjoyment of the film.

Bonus Features:
  • NEW Accepting the facts: The Breakfast Club trivia Track
  • Sincerely Yours: A 12-part Documentary
  • Feature length audio commentary with Anthony Michael Hall and Judd Nelson
  • The most common definitions: The origins of the Brat Pack
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

An all-time classic from one of the most influential writers and directors in Hollywood history The Breakfast Club is a timeless film that can be shared from one generation to the next. Celebrating its 30th Anniversary, it comes to Blu-ray featuring newly restored/re-mastered high definition video, crystal clear lossless sound and a supplemental package that consists of legacy features as well as an all new Trivia Track. Fans are going to want to give upgrade consideration to this new release as it improves upon the previous high definition versions. The Breakfast Club is among my favorite films and I am thrilled to add this 30th Anniversary Edition to my video library.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7702 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

·
Registered
657 Posts
30 years? Wow I am getting old! I'll add this to my collection and keep it close to "Better Off Dead" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" which are two of my personal favorite movies from the 80's.

Reactions: ShakinTiles

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ralph, I've been wanting to see this movie again since I watch Pitch Perfect, which is highly recommended by me. My wife who is a bit younger than me has never seen it. Is it worth buying the 30th anniversary or just renting the original blu-ray from netflix? Is there much of a video or audio upgrade that warrants buying over renting?

Reactions: Ralph Potts

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ralph, I've been wanting to see this movie again since I watch Pitch Perfect, which is highly recommended by me. My wife who is a bit younger than me has never seen it. Is it worth buying the 30th anniversary or just renting the original blu-ray from netflix? Is there much of a video or audio upgrade that warrants buying over renting?
Greetings,

The answer depends on how fond you are of The Breakfast Club. In my opinion it holds up extremely well under repeat viewings and is highly quotable and relevant even after 30 years. If you enjoy it and don't already own it on Blu-ray I would buy it. Even if she isn't crazy about it you can still take it in every now and then yourself.. ;)

Regards,

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Ralph, do you know if the "Yearbook Collection" version is the same transfer as the new 30th Anniversary release you reviewed? And have the other two films in that package received the same treatment?

For an extra $6 I'd absolutely buy the trio, unless they were lesser versions.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ralph, do you know if the "Yearbook Collection" version is the same transfer as the new 30th Anniversary release you reviewed? And have the other two films in that package received the same treatment?

For an extra $6 I'd absolutely buy the trio, unless they were lesser versions.
Greetings,

I just checked and it appears to include The Breakfast Club 30th Anniversary release... :)

Regards,

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
My 13 year old daughter and I have watched this movie twice now, she's at that age where communication is .... small at best ... so having a movie that we can both watch then afterward share simple small talk gives opportunity to relate current real life happenings ... in our morning car ride to bus pick up, or when I get her from some after school activity.

I 100% agree this is a timeless movie for adolescence; was "back then", is "now", and will be "later on".
It's a time warp for me to watch this and think of my high school days, that universal appeal, it does take us back to awkwardness and how each of us dealt with it, or did not deal with it.

I forget, the TV version they cut out the pot smoking scenes mostly, right?
Found my answer ... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088847/alternateversions

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Is the blu-ray version better than the hd-dvd version of this movie?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
One of my all-time favorite movies. I watched it so much when I was younger that I could recite the entire movie line by line from memory.

Reactions: Reddig

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Ah, I love this movie. I was 15 years old when this first came out and while I continue to get old, this movie never does. I can sit down at any point during the film and just watch it through to the end. This should be required viewing for teenagers.
We had to watch The Breakfast Club in high school during an English class. Good times.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Greetings,

Is the blu-ray version better than the hd-dvd version of this movie?
This one is an improvement, yes.

One of my all-time favorite movies. I watched it so much when I was younger that I could recite the entire movie line by line from memory.
Absolutely! Love all the quotable lines in this movie. :cool:

Regards,

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Wow 30 years! This is actually one of my favorite movies growing up and I still love to watch it. So many memories watching this film. And yes the quotes! To be honest ive only owned a VHS version of this movie that i recorded off HBO in the late 80s. I must of watched that copy 100 times. Im most definitly going to be picking this one up on Blu-Ray. Thanks alot Ralph for the review!

·
Registered
812 Posts
This is one of my top movies of all time next to National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. I can't believe 30 years has gone by already. I, like many must've watched and quoted this movie hundreds of times. With that said I am not sure yet if I will purchase this copy or not. I would've liked to have seen them remaster it a little better. Certainly a little closer to reference. I mean come on here. Look what they were able to do with Jaws =)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
There's just so many good scenes/memories in this, that it never gets old. Especially the Colonel Bogey March whistling. That and Paul Gleason was awesome in the 80s. Such magical soundtracks from the 80s as well.

MJYB5888 said:
A lot of these movies are amongst my absolute fave of all time. I think me being born in 88' and after 30+ years they were made, that says a lot. He was a fantastic writer who understood teenagers like I've never seen any other director do, his stories are timeless and every generation has been and will continue to be able to identify with them. I was so glad to see part of the Brat Pack, Mathew and Macaulay there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts