AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting from scratch and pretty clueless...

My total budget is around 2K. My viewing needs are basic; Comcast HD, sports, HBO, Showtime, occasional video rental and no gaming.

Here's what I came up with;

Samsung PN58B560 Plasma TV.

Pioneer BDP-320 Blu-ray or the Panasonic DMP-BD85 Blu-ray

and either one of these HTIB systems:

Sony HTSS360 or the Onkyo HT S3200

My questions are:

Will I have any compatibility issues?

What will I need to complete the online connection?

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The samsung is a nice tv. Either blu ray will also fulfill your needs, although the new samsung c6500(?) wireless player came out, might match the tv better. The only thing I would change is to go from the onkyo s3200 to the 6200. Much better receiver and speakers. With the 3200 you would have to run an hdmi and than an optical for each device to get sound into the receiver, which kind of defeats the purpose of hdmi. Might put you over 2k by around $200, but its worth it.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
If you only plan to watch blu ray movies, then go with a cheap blu ray player, and use the savings for a better HTIB as suggested. There really isn't much PQ difference between most blu ray players for blu ray movies.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman /forum/post/18262764

If you only plan to watch blu ray movies, then go with a cheap blu ray player, and use the savings for BETTER INDIVIDUAL COMPONENTS. There really isn't much PQ difference between most blu ray players for blu ray movies.

Fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys. I'm confident now that I'm headed in the right direction.

A further look into individual components and I should be set up for MLB opening day.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/18262867

Fixed.

haha yeah, HTIB have poor speakers and receivers/amps

really if you want to start out cheap get a decent receiver and some good floor standing speakers and a sub woofer and skimp on the center and surround speakers and buy cheapo's until you can afford better one's and you will be more happy than with a HTIB setup

·
Registered
11,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/18262867

Fixed.

Thanks.
Better yet do what I did. I hooked up my pair of Epicure 2 speakers along with a subwoofer directly to my Pioneer 5020. Didn't bother with a HTIB, and it sounds a lot better. I love those old speakers. 20+ years old and they still sound great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts