AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I have a $500 budget for a camcorder (new baby due in July) So HD and the HV10 are ruled out.

What's good in this range? Having the luxury of waiting is good too, as it seems that the new hardware is coming soon now that it is 2007.

This is going to be a home movie camera.

Tim

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I ended up buying a JVC GZ-MG77 on-line for just under $500 (retail is $799). Of course, I had to add some accessories so the price went up.

I wanted a comcorder with Hard Drive, so I found a couple of reviews that suggested this one over similar models from Sony.

I am sure that there will be varying opinions all over the place on here, but I didn't have much time to look and I didn't want to spend much money.

I should have it by this weekend and will see how it works.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any ideas about what's safe to buy is good. I'm not sold on recording direct to DVD as it'll need to be edited anyhow. I'm not concerned about the fragility of a HDD based unit either, but I have no clue about what a good cam corder is- digital still camseras I know (I own a Rebel XT with a few good lenses) so I'm very set there.

I'm just interested in a good camera, preferably with a decent IS system.

At least I've got firewire on my PC, so I know that's a must, I'd like a 3 ccd model as it'll mostly be baby shots

I donl;t even know where to look for a camcorder as all the talk here seems to be HD.

New HD is just too rich for me for now.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
For the best PQ and best editing capability everything I read says stick with DV tape technology.

I would prefer HDD but PQ and editing are important to me. Unedited video is a great ambien alternative, however.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcable /forum/post/0

As the title says, I have a $500 budget for a camcorder (new baby due in July) So HD and the HV10 are ruled out.

What's good in this range? Having the luxury of waiting is good too, as it seems that the new hardware is coming soon now that it is 2007.

This is going to be a home movie camera.

Tim

Panasonic GS-300 can be had for less than $500. I love mine. 3CCD, Leica lens, OIS, and mini-DV.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano /forum/post/0

How is it with low light shooting? My Canon ZR200 is pretty bad.

Thanks.

I had a non-3CCD mini-DV camcorder before that was just atrocious indoors. I have a young kid at home too which is the main reason I got a camcorder. I gave up on trying to get a good picture indoors that wasn't dark and grainy, so I sold it and got the GS300. The difference is night and day, so to speak...
It's amazing.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking at the GS300. All of my local CC stores in the Boston area do not have it.- Not available. Best buy only lists the GS500

However I can get it in Lexington, KY (my parents live there).

Is this an '07 model? It's listed on Panasonic's website.

I need to source locally due to a number of gift cards.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Yea, Spend the $500 on an HD camcorder like the Sanyo HD2 and only use it for SD if that is all you want. There is no reason to buy an SD camcorder now because the HD ones can do SD also and they are all about the same price now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.