AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a old transfer since it appears to be OAR but it has 5.1 audio too. Seems to be a good transfer with very good color and sharpness. Jim Carrey in a dark role by his standards. I like this movie.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
with this post being in the HDTV programming section is this on HDTV sometime or is it referring to the dvd?????

I'd love to see this in HDTV!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
It was on HBO HD today, but I didn't get a chance to see it.

I believe the point the original poster was trying to make is that HBO HD movies aren't typically in their OAR (such as 2.35:1). However, prior to

2002, I believe, HBO HD movies usually were in their OAR.

If you like Jim Carey, you should check out "Me, Myself & Irene" on HBO HD.

Excellent transfer; however, it aired last month, or April, and I'm not sure when/if it's scheduled to air again.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From my memory this is the first movie I have seen on HBO in OAR with Dolby 5.1 audio. All of the Movies with 5.1 have been presented in HBO's "Crop-O-Vision".

The Cable Guy is listed 6 more times in June. None in very good time slots.

I enjoyed "Me, Myself & Irene". It would be great to see Carrey's "Ace Ventura Pet Detective" in HD.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Onkyo TX-DS797 owners, be on the look out for this movie! I experienced audio muting while watching it yesterday.

I say "audio muting" and not "audio dropout" because I believe it was the receiver causing the problem. It is a known issue regarding the 797 and the following DVDs also: Beastmaster; Jurassic Park III; Atlantis and Pearl Harbor. At the time The Cable Guy was on, I did not have any audio problems with HD-Net, Showtime HD or any other SD channels.

I hope other 797 owners will post their findings here as well.

·
Registered
33,553 Posts
Excellent PQ, but was this HD transfer redone to accomodate the DD? I don't think that HBO was doing DD when they were doing OAR, unless the DD track was there and simply not originally broadcast.

·
Registered
180 Posts
if you guys haven't checked out the dvd- it is also VERY good...especially for how old it is! Actually some of the cinematography is very decent for a comedy title as well.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Was Cable Guy ever broadcast on HBO in HD before? I don't remember seeing it before. I guess it's too much to hope that this is actually a new transfer and HBO has come to their senses, huh?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wesley Hester
Onkyo TX-DS797 owners, be on the look out for this movie! I experienced audio muting while watching it yesterday.
I have an Onkyo 898 (and a DTC100) and experienced the same thing. I also tried the regular HBO channel (501) and it had the exact same audio problem. I have never had a audio problem (that I could attribute to my Onkyo) before with satellite. The only problem was with the handful of known problem disks (Pearl Harbor, JP III, etc.). Does anyone have any info on what is causing this problem?. If anyone else experienced the same problem, would you please post and let us know what equipment you have. Thanks.

Jay

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
jerndl, as you probably already know, the Onkyo/Dolby issue is the way our receiver handles a new (and hopefully fully removed) flag introduced by new Dolby encoder software.

Keep in mind however that; according to Dolby, the encoders are used to not only make DVDs but also broadcast television programs as well. That can explain why the problem can appear on satellite or OTA broadcasts like The Cable Guy on HBO.

Hopefully for our sakes, HBO hasn't encoded too many movies using the new flag. (I recently read, in this forum I believe, that the "flag" is really like some sort of serial number of the encoder that passes unnoticed by some decoders but causes the decoders in our receivers to mute the audio everytime it encounters the "flag" - which can be pretty often.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wesley Hester
jerndl, as you probably already know, the Onkyo/Dolby issue is the way our receiver handles a new (and hopefully fully removed) flag introduced by new Dolby encoder software.
There is a thread on the *************** reporting a similar problem with a different HBO movie("Bad Boys"). I noticed that the movie (Cable Guy) is on again on 6/12. I plan to record it with my UltimateTV and see if I have the same problems. If it still has the same problem, I can connect a Yamaha receiver to verify if the Onkyo is indeed the source of the problem. I'll report back with my findings.

Jay

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've read that on certain occasions HBO shows movies in OAR because the movie studio/director mandated it. They are, however, very few. As mentioned above, most OAR's you see on HBO are older -- actually before 2001. Before HBO "wised" up and decided to always fill the screen.

You know we wouldn't come near buyin' them thar big screens if we didn't want 'em full up with purdy pictures. ;)

Sean

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
In another forum, someone experienced audio muting on their 797 while watching The Cable Guy via Dish Network in standard definition. Dang!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I was able to duplicate the DD audio "muting" problem with today's HBO airing of "Cable Guy" with my Onkyo 898. I viewed it live and recorded the movie with my UltimateTV with the same results (audio muting present). In fact the problem was present on 3 different STBs (2 UTVs and a DTC100). I then connected the UTV to my old Yamha RXV992 receiver and there were NO DD audio problems. This is definitely a problem that does not affect all AV receivers. Onkyo users (797 and 898) are the only ones I have seen report this problem yet. I can ony conclude that HBO is using the same "flag" when encoding the DD audio that was used on the Pearl Harbor (and other) DVDs. I sure hope this is not trend. I guess I will try to contact Onkyo to see if they are aware that the DD audio issue is not limited to just a few DVDs, but is now present in at least 2 HBO movies.

Jay

·
Registered
241 Posts
Long time lurker. First post.

I've got an Onkyo 898 and have experienced the dropout problem on DirecTV regular HBO channel with the movie "Summer Catch".

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
jmr21,

I watched (I'm sorry to say) part of that movie and I don't recall any audio drop outs. However I have now found 2 other HBO movies that have the problem, "The Net" and "American Outlaws". I recorded portions of both movies (with an UtlimateTV). They both consistently have the audio problem with my Onkyo 898. When I use my older Yamaha receiver there is zero problem.

Jay

·
Registered
241 Posts
jerndl,

I agree the movie isn't much. I actually noticed the problem first when my daughter was watching it a couple of weeks ago and she complained to me that something was wrong. Quite coincidentally, I came across this thread over the weekend and when I saw that "Summer Catch" was going to be on HBO again last night, I tuned in to see if the problem was reproducible. Sure enough, the dropouts were there and quite numerous. At least every minute or so it seemed.

I failed to mention in my first post that both viewings were dd 5.1 but not OAR.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.